It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• sore throat and surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User
    sore throat and surgery

I have my surgery scheduled for Thursday and I've got a head cold. Haven't been concerned up until this point because I've actually been feeling fine. Tonight however my throat is miserable when swallowing. I don't have a fever and don't think it's major, but should I be concerned? I'm ready for surgery and so is my family so rescheduling would be a nightmare! Any thoughts or advice (or am I worrying just to worry at this point)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: sore throat and surgery

With a minor surgery like yours, it probably won't be a problem unless you're running a fever or something. Still, if you start doing the zinc lozenges every 2 hours, that should help.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User

I find that Airborne also helps me fight off a cold. I had surgery on my feet two years ago. I was having twilight anesthesia which meant that I would be pretty much unconscious. At the time I had a cough. No congestion, just a very persistent cough. I was also in a position where postponement of the surgery would have been very difficult to arrange. I consulted with two uninvolved doctors who said I would be fine, but that if the anesthesiologist knew about the cough, he might not be willing to treat me. I sucked on a cough drop just before he came to talk with me and tried very hard not to cough in his presence. :-) I was able to get through the pre-surgery procedures without him or any other doctor noticing and everything went fine. I would consider consulting with a knowledgeable doctor (or two) who is not actually treating you because fear of potential liability in a lawsuit can heavily influence your doctor's answer. Best wishes!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Any chance of going to an urgent care clinic and getting an injection? The one in my area is great about giving antibiotic injections. If you happen to have strep (I never run fever when I have it) the injection reduces the recovery time to 2 days.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i wouldnt worry about it. i would be concerned that it should not be strp.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User

thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure it's just a head cold - haven't had strep since I was young due to no tonsils.
    Anyway, surgery was this am and it went well. I only told a little fib when one of the nurses asked if I had experienced a bad cold in the last week. I said I thought it was an allergy flair (I was already feeling better by this morning).

Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

congratulations on the surgery meaning its over! i hope all is well so far.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
    dncergrl53
    (female)

dncergrl53 HB User

As long as you don't mind your doctor and nurses telling you "little fibs" and hoping things go well, I guess fair is fair.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User

dancergrl- touche

Closed Thread