It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Fusion - Mysterious Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
    Ankle Fusion - Mysterious Pain

Hello,

Two years ago my ankle was fused with an external fixator. I have had a rocky recovery which included a couple more surgeries, but I can finally say things are much better than they were.

I am having some trouble with a very sharp stabbing pain that comes and goes. It is on the outside of my ankle, slightly behind my ankle bone and midway between the ankle bone and the corner of my heel. My ortho surgeon says this is where a main nerve is located. He believes the pain is due to the scar tissue from my incision which has been used to enter and manipulate my ankle 7 times, pulling on that nerve.

Is there anyone out there who has had an ankle fusion with pain so long after the fusion is complete? How about pain in the location I described? My husband has done some research and thinks this pain may be from a tendon or a ligament.

I would love to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks!
    Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Ankle Fusion - Mysterious Pain

Have you tried massaging the calf muscles, especially the spot just below the head of the fibula (outside of the leg, just below the knee), and also about 2/3 of the way down, either side of the fibula?

That's exactly what it felt like when my peroneals started freaking out because I'd been walking with my ankle held locked stiff for months. Or, might be something else. But it worked for me, and I can't imagine it could harm you.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Jane,

I have not tried massaging my calf muscles, but it sounds like a great idea.

I have had a pretty tough week due to pain level in my foot and my ankle. I just wish it would feel better. I was doing so well for a while, but lately have had another setback. It is no better than it was before the fusion.

Any advice you have will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Step

Old 07-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User

Does anything seem to alleviate your pain? Maybe you could take a day or two and really rest it and see if that brings you any relief. That way if/when you talk to your doctor you'll be able to provide that information. From what I've read the peroneal tendons can become irritated and inflamed causing tendonitis and many report feeling relief from rest (sometimes even casting). I do hope you feel better, you sound as if you've already gone through quite a bit with this foot already.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

forevergimpy,

It is sooo ironic that you mention resting. I have been taking it very easy this weekend. Partly to see if rest will bring relief and partly because I am just about out of pain meds. I made a mistake at my last pain mgmt appt. thinking I had 16-20 pills left, but I really only had 10. My next appt. is Wednesday. Thank goodness rest has really helped the pain.

Thank you for your suggestion and your reply!

Step

Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
    huffle
    (female)

huffle HB User

There is a pain patch by perscription that contains Lidocaine. It works wonders for those spots that nothing else will work on. The brand name I have is called Lidoderm. You can cut them to what ever size or shape you need. They have done wonders for some of the pain I had in odd places. You wear them on for 12 hours and off for 12. Might be something to think of if it is a nerve it will definatly give you relief.
    I also agree with massage and using maybe some epsom warm water soaks. These have sure helped my feet and ankles at times.

Huffle

Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your reply.

I have had those lidoderm patches before. It is funny you mentioned it because I just had my head buried under my bathroom sind looking for them. I found them, but they are no good - too old.

I will have to ask my pain mgmt dr for another script for them.

thanks again!
    Step

Closed Thread