It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Aleve or no Aleve...! (stress fracture of the foot)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
    jltheboom
    (male)

jltheboom HB User
    Lightbulb Aleve or no Aleve...! (stress fracture of the foot)

Im a 23 years old male who was diagnosed with stress fracture of the foot, given a soft cast and told to rest for 4-6 weeks.

After a week, my foot don't hurt when elevated and the swelling has gone down, but when i dangle it or limp around for more than 30 seconds, the foot STILL turns bright red and throbs badly like a week ago...
    a) is that normal?
    b) is the throbing because of the fracture or the "swollen-ness"
    c) how can i help it heal faster???
    d) the doc told me to take 2 aleve in the morning and 2 at nite for the inflammation, but i read online that it delays healing of the bone, so i haven't been doing that. Should i start taking it?

THanks for your reply in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
    Tracie1204
    (female)

Tracie1204 HB User
    Re: Aleve or no Aleve...! (stress fracture of the foot)

I would say if the doctor told you to take it, then you should probably take it, at least for now.
    I had multiple "stress reactions" last year from jogging----The fractures had not formed yet, but were forming-------and I had the same problems when my leg would dangle or hang----it would throb and was quite painful---But even keeping it elevated at waist level while I was at work, would take care of that.
    I know that it says Aleve can weaken the bone or prevent the healing process---but I think to start with, you should take it, to help keep that inflammation down. Maybe do it for a couple of weeks, see if it helps, then maybe only take it once a day for a couple of days, then wean it down to none, and see if you can manage------By then I would hope you would see some improvement in the throbbing.

Hope this helps--and good luck!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
    jltheboom
    (male)

jltheboom HB User

THanks for the tips, i still don't know when the throbbing will stop and whether i should walk with cast yet...

Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User

Did the doc give you any directions in terms of weight bearing? If you are uncertain you could call the doctor's office and ask the nurse or doctor to return your call. That way you're not guessing what will be best for your situation. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
    dncergrl53
    (female)

dncergrl53 HB User

A fracture means there is a break in the bone, which needs to heal. Bone Healing is dependent on many factors and main factor is the recovery of the many tiny blood vessels in the foot that have been damaged by the inflammatory response. My doc said he is more concerned about the blood vessels than the bone. The #1 way to encourage this is to keep the swelling down, and the best way do that is to keep your foot elevated above the level of your heart. I did that and am still doing that 6 weeks after surgery and I have not had to take pain killers at all. Basically, I am just lying around or sitting with my foot up REALLY high and the foot looks great. I even sleep with my foot above the level of my head. It takes patience to do that if nothing hurts, but a lot is going on under the surface and you have to leave it alone to get the best result. I walk around a bit now, up to an hour, do my range of motion exercises or go on the exercise bike, but then it is back to the couch to elevate to drain the swelling. There are no shortcuts. You can't make it heal faster, but you can postpone healing by allowing it to swell for long periods. I hope you are not smoking. That delays healing by months because nicotine constricts blood vessels.

The throbbing you feel is swelling and that is a message from your foot to elevate it. You will actually feel the fluid draining down and away from the foot. If you keep it elevated, my guess is that you won't have to take pain killers.

My physio told me to go back to weight bearing in stages. First put foot down while sitting. Lean on knee to put pressure on foot, but not too much. After a few days of that, put foot down standing and rock side to side putting pressure on affected foot. See how your foot tolerates this before walking. but again, drain swelling whenever it occurs. The longer it is swollen, the longer healing will take and the more complications you could have.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
    jltheboom
    (male)

jltheboom HB User

wow these posts are so detailed and helpful! thanks guys, my swelling has gone down a little more today... so slowly, but i walked a lil in a soft cast today and my foot feels less painful now... I just hope the swelling would stop soon. THANKS AGAIN!!

Closed Thread