It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Pain in back of lower leg

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
    erg57
    (male)

erg57 HB User
    Pain in back of lower leg

I did not know where to place this topic so here goes:

For about one month when running I am developing pain in the back of my lower leg. It is difficult to describe. I dont feel it in my calf but dont feel it in my ankle either. The pain is located in between. The muscles don't feel sore to the touch or when I massage it. But it feels tight and hurts when walking/running and I now limp when walking. I am no longer able to run because it acts up immediately. Funny thing is is when I extend my toes or flex my calves on my tippy toes, it does not hurt--only when I move. I think I feel it more on the inside of my lower leg but in the back. I don't think its shin splints because I dont feel it on the front of my leg whatsoever.

Anyone have a clue as to what this is and how I can take care of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User
    Re: Pain in back of lower leg

Could it be pain in your achilies tendon? In any case, I would make an appointment with your doctor to prevent further injury. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
    erg57
    (male)

erg57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by forevergimpy View Post
    Could it be pain in your achilies tendon? In any case, I would make an appointment with your doctor to prevent further injury. Good luck.
    Thanks. I thought of this too, but I am 99% sure that it is not my achilles. It is farther up my leg. Now I am wondering if its compartment syndrome. It seems to be in the right spot for it.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Compartment syndrome seems unlikely, I suspect it would hurt more, for one thing.

Does it help if you stretch the calf muscle gently?

I agree with Forevergimpy that you should see a doctor if it doesn't seem to be healing.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
    erg57
    (male)

erg57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    Compartment syndrome seems unlikely, I suspect it would hurt more, for one thing.

Does it help if you stretch the calf muscle gently?

I agree with Forevergimpy that you should see a doctor if it doesn't seem to be healing.
    It is a strange thing happening. It only hurts when I walk/run on it and stairs are the worst, but at rest I don't feel it too much at all. It does not help to stretch. It is difficult to tell you where it hurts but it does not hurt on my calves--it hurts below it above the ankle on the posterior side. I am getting some numb spots too just in the last few hours. As I sit here--zero pain, but as soon as I get up I know what I am in for. It is very strange. I've sprained ankles a number of times, strained muscles in my calves, gotten cramps and charlie horses, but this is "different". I think I am going to make an appointment. Probably a waste of his time.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know your body best. If you think it's weird (in a bad way), absolutely see the doctor.

Hmm, pain in leg that's tough to pin down, present when walking but not when stretching or rubbing the area, and some numbness... I'm just making this up as I go along, but it's possible your back could be involved. That sounds a bit like a pinched nerve.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
    erg57
    (male)

erg57 HB User

Thanks to all. I appreciate your feedback

Closed Thread