It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 5th Metatarsal fracture weeks after foot surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User
    5th Metatarsal fracture weeks after foot surgery

catlady thank you. I am hoping that I won't have to be off work, time will tell. Friday is coming fast. Do anyone know when the swelling goes away. It gets so bad that the toes turn a little purple. I head for anywhere so I can put it up.
    My internal med doc has looked over all the vitamins and drugs I am on. Learned I should not take tramadol, bad for the kidneys. Darvon 65 is ok so thats what he gave me. Did some blood tests. And he will now be the one to prescribe any med's. The other doc's will have to c all him to verify that I can take whatever drug they want to put me on. Today I been up alot so the foot is hurting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User
    Re: 5th Metatarsal fracture weeks after foot surgery

hi. my swelling has been minimal, but I'm lucky enough to have alot of downtime and spend alot of time on my bed reading or sitting here with my foot propped up. things got easier for me after the first 3-4 weeks. now I'm at that impatient point that I just want this over and done with!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
    footsiedee
    (female)

footsiedee HB User

hi walleye. sorry this has dragged on. is it possible after these 4 months, with your foot still turning purple etc, i just wonder if it would help greatly to cut yourself off cold turkey again and go back to bed for 2 solid weeks, putting the foot OVER your head?? not just non weight bearing, but back to basics. i mean if the docs cant agree, ?? i know how hard it is to need to work. i just wonder if constriction from the cast plays a part. but more importantly not being 'horizontal'. it is harder for foot to swell if you dont give it any blood. i just wonder, sorry for your frustration. praying for you. Dee

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
    footsiedee
    (female)

footsiedee HB User

i could be wrong, but wasnt your surgery april 1?

Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

sorry to hear about all that swelling. what would happen if you stayed home a couple days and sat with you foot up in iced. if that would relieve some of the swelling maybe you are doing too much.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

Dee, yes the surgery was in April, The swelling is from the fracture I hope.
    Deb, My plan on Friday is to quizz the doc and see what would be the best way to go, stay home and elevate or work. Or maybe cut back to 1/2 days until the cast come off. It's not like I can do anything fun outdoors any way and catching up on a bag full of books sounds good. Had to buy a backback so I could haul lunch and a small purse to work. Anything else would knock my crutches out from under my arm.
    Catlady, I think what you are doing is what is probably the smartest. I want this to heal right. I was never told a thing just given a cast care paper. But this board has put light to a few things for me. Thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

Well its only a couple of hours away. Boy yesterday was was terrible. The swelling,pain and now the itching. I just don't get the swelling, I can be sitting in the chair with the foot up on pillows and it just starts swelling almost to the point a saw would be good. I could see if I had the foot down but not when its up. Good question for the doc today. Hubby gets his cast off too. I already told him its a me first day, that way I can have the foot out of the cast longer I expect another one to be put on. He understands since he's had a few casts in his life.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
    shelleybutn
    (female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

good luck, keep us posted......

Old 08-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think the dr needs to address this problem. you have to get to the root of why there is so much swelling.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

I'm home and without a cast, hubby too. He's alot more sore than I am but happy. My dx is peroneal tendontis. I do have the choice of the boot or an ankle brace. Boot for work and brace for at home I think. And I can start VERY VERY slowly putting weight on it. I was warned if I over due it will set me back alot. I was expecting another cast, what a very pleasant suprise.
    Couldn't wait to scrub the leg and foot, and then lotion, lotion, lotion.
    I got to PT tomorrow morning. Get it working right away.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

it must feel wonderful to have that cast off for good.. to be able to shave and use lotion, etc! did your husband have the same surgery?

Old 08-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

No, he fell and fractured his thumb. I have to say if anyone was a fly on the wall in our home they would here alot of complaining about which limb hurt who, where and how much. What a pair we are. I got him talked into going to PT. He's in alot of pain to.
    I had my PT appt this morning and got some excersizes to do and a warning to take it slow. I have scrubbed, shaved and lotioned and lotioned. Leg looks like loose skin flapping in the wind, I have no muscle left.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glad your cast is off. i hope these new exercises help. dont over do it.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
    walleye77
    Veteran
    (female)

walleye77 HB User

So today I got brave and wearing the boot and then the ankle support I was able to move around using the walker or crutches for support. There wasn't much pain. It felt good to be upright. I quit wihen the pain got worse. Won't push it. How long does it take before I rid myself of the crutches and walker?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thats a hard question. only you and your dr will know. i just pray the pain goes away.

Closed Thread