It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Foot swelling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
    TheProphet
    (male)

TheProphet HB User
    Question Foot swelling

I first discovered this 3 days ago, when I awoke from my sleep. I was sleeping long ways(My feet were hanging off my bed)

When I awoke, I felt a tight painless sensation in my foot. I realized
    my right foot is noticeably larger then my other foot(Due to the swelling)

I quickly began searching the net,(I found a lot of information about this issue, but couldn't find symptoms, or any information that matches my foot problem.)

I feel fine, I'm not experiencing any pain at all(It's just the swelling feeling that's annoying me)

I've never had any bad issues with my feet(This is a first.)

As of now, I've got my foot wrapped in an ace bandage, with an ice pack inside on my swelling area.

I can fully move my foot around, as well as my toes. I have full feeling in my foot, and can move it without any problems.

I was thinking about going to the hospital, but don't think it's serious enough to actually go.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Mod9; 08-10-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Please do not post pictures for any reason, as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Foot swelling

If both your feet are swollen then I would think it's not an emergency such as systemic swelling. I would go see your regular doctor and ask for an xray. When I broke my ankle it was real swollen but didn't even hurt that much and I could walk on it.

I can't see the diagram but did you bang your foot somehow or do you think it's from a spider bite or something like that?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
    TheProphet
    (male)

TheProphet HB User

Well, I would go to a doctor, But I don't have any medical insurance.

Also, It's only my right foot, not both.

I can put all my weight on my right foot, and it doesn't hurt at all. Though, I don't understand why'd it be swollen for no reason.

The swelling has went down some, due to me leaving the ice/icepack on my foot for several hours.

I don't remember banging my foot at all.

I assume, that it could possibly be my weight also.

Also, I don't think it's a spider bite, because I've thoroughly searched my foot, and couldn't find a source of a bite, nor is it red either.

Because, I've learned that if you weigh a certain amount, that the more weight you have, the more pressure it puts on your joints, bones, and muscles.

So, that could be it.

Last edited by TheProphet; 08-10-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, if the ice is helping, and the foot works correctly and doesn't hurt, it's probably safe to wait and see for a while. Maybe it's just the heat.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
    footsiedee
    (female)

footsiedee HB User

i have been told by docs not to leave the ice on to long. it would be better for you to put the ice on for 15min, then off 15 min. perhaps you could try elevating the foot while laying down, so that it is above your heart. are you diabetic?

Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
    TheProphet
    (male)

TheProphet HB User

Thanks for the information everyone.

No, I'm not diabetic.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
    LisaBdot
    (female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

THIS is going to sound absurd. Get some raw cabbage leaves. Wrap them around the foot and ankle. Wrap on the ace bandage. Elevate your foot with an ice pack on it for no more than half an hour. You can repeat the ice again after an hour. (Supposed to be 20 min. on, 60 off.) R.I.C.E. +C. (Rest, ice, compression, elevation. And cabbage.)

There's a phytochemical in cabbage that relieves swelling. This doesn't work for everybody, but it's cheap and worth a shot. If you're one of those that cabbage works for, the improvement will be dramatic.

Closed Thread