It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Thank you and your daughter Stew,
    I think that I might try the tens as I now know from your reply that it won't do any harm.
    I find PT especially hydrotherapy great but I can't always get enough sessions and although I use theraband religiously, I think I need more.

Thanks again, keep well

Pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #17
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

Hi all doing well here dont really have any pain, just when I try to do side to side exercise's but not getting to far with it. but I think I'm doing good. hope everyone is doing good to sent's there hasn't been talking. but I'm enjoying my new postion at work which is dispatcher now it's different from being the driver or crew which I was a driver, drove from west coast to mideast which I still miss the freedom of traveling, but this works to. like I said earlyer hope everyone is doing good. oh my left presure blister scab is gone and my stiches are almost gone to still mainly have the corner section left but the rest is gone iches like crap which I'm able to wipe it down now just not soaking until scab's are gone. well talk you guys latter. Keep postive, and Keep Healing Heelies
    Mark

Old 08-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Healies,
    Finaly got a chance to catch up on reading how you all are doing at my work.
    My home office computer is still down with a virus, been waiting for the data guy at my work to fix it but he is so busy will have to wait a while longer.
    Glad your all doing okay.
    I'm looking forward to seeing my Dr. on the 27th, not sure why he won't let me do the things you guys get to do.
    My incision looks very clean it just has 1 small scab left on it.
    I'm feeling very little pain it's a 1 to 1 1/2 on the pain scale finaly!!!!
    The 1 pain pill a day now is more so for my sore neck & headache since that darn truck rear ended me at the moll 8/9.
    Been keeping myself busy trying to make a buck here & there doing this & that.

Well Keep On Healing Heelies!
    Best Regards,
    Carole

Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
    jmac47
    (male)

jmac47 HB User

Hello All - Hope all the Heelies are Healing well!

I had my doctor appt today. He said that things are looking good. I have the butterfly cast on right now, but he's letting me remove that when I'm just sitting around so I can do some movement exercises. Since my second surgery, I've really lost some of the movement that I had achieved. He said he could tell my achilles tendon is much tighter now. The stitches are healing well, and I am scheduled to get those out again on 2 Sep. I'm still doing the IV antibiotics twice a day, and am so glad I'm able to do these at home. Down to 4 more weeks of those. He's not sure when he's going to let me start to put any weight on it this time. I feel like I'm progressing at a decent rate though.

If you do the tens, please let us know how that goes. I've used one before on my lower back. I'd try it on my foot if it would help.

Take care all,

Jim

Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

Hi jim
    glad to here your doing so good sents your surgery, how much longer do you have to be on the antibiotics, was it 4 more weeks, or was that something else. I've been getting little pains in my heel and incision area my wife says its just healing and not red or sweling or anything did you feel these feelings or should I be asking my doc. cause the scabs are healimg and falling off. but I've been doing exercises before bed to. what you think.
    Keep Healing Heelies
    Mark

Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #21
    jmac47
    (male)

jmac47 HB User

Thanks Mark!

My infection came on pretty strong. My foot really swelled and got pretty red. Also, I had bad flu-like symptoms - body aches, fever, chills. Sounds like you're having normal pains. If your foot turns red and swells, by all means get it checked out though. I do have 4 weeks left on the antibiotics. Good luck.

Jim

The Following User Says Thank You to jmac47 For This Useful Post:
    hooligan1 (07-07-2012)
    Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Jim,
    I have ordered the TENS and I will let you know how I get on with it.I will try anything to get rid of this pain and allow me to get off the crutch.
    Hang in there everyone

Pat

Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #23
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hi Heelies
    I was out of town, but am back. Went to the Doc. on Friday. He has me WB with the aircast on, it's a little scary. I also got a cane and am looking forward to cane traning and PT so I can get off the crutches. I'll keep you guys posted. Glad to hear everyone is making progress. Stay positive, strong and of course
    Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #24
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Smile Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Hi Joe,

That is such great news. I can understand your reluctance for WB. I am sure I will feel the same way in 3 weeks once he clears me for PT and partial WB.

I am getting nervous at the thought of putting any weight on it after being so ginger with it the past 5 weeks.

Good luck,
    Ed

Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hi Ed,
    Went to cane training, it was easier than I thought and once I got the hang of it, no pain to speak of. However they told me I would have pain and swelling from working the foot since the operation.
    I had a little bit of seepage the last few days. So I had the Doc. look at it. He took a swab, sent it out to check for infection and put me on biotics. He said there was an area of dead skin at the incision that wasn't healing like he would like.
    However, on balance, I feel good about the progress and being able to start getting off the crutches. With any luck the seepage will clear up. Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies.

Joe

Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #26
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies,
    I went to see my Dr. yesterday, he said my foot looks good but no more moving my foot up & down, no more getting my foot wet in shower, no swimming, no exercise bike, no weight bearing, no nothing but moving my toes & flexing my calf till 10/8.
    In 41 days on he will take an x-ray & let me start walking, that will be 13 weeks after surgery.
    I met an 11 year old boy Sunday who had a really bad fractured displaced heel & could not walk for 3 years after surgery, he is okay now & walking fine, he said the thing that got him through it was driving the Walmart handycap scooter.
    He had such a good outlook, what a trooper.
    It makes my situation seem not to bad at all.
    All the news about infection makes me want to start taking my Keflex just in case.

Keep on healing heelies!
    Carole

Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #27
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

Hello Everyone.
    I'm very happy I stumbled across this forum your posts have been very helpful and encouraging during the healing process. On July 18th I crashed my ATV while riding on a MX track and fractured my Calcaneus. I had surgery on the 31st and I am now the new owner of 9 screws and a plate. I asked the doctor how many pieces there were he said two main pieces and a lot of small fragments. I stayed two days in the hospital, the first two days after I returned home were the worst with pain in the 4-6 range but has now dropped to nearly no pain at all. The pain that I do have is easily treated with regular strength Tylenol. The interesting thing is I sometimes have what I would call nerve pain that isn't overly intense but it shoots from my heel to my toes. Has anyone else felt anything like this?
    Two weeks after surgery the sutures and staples were removed, the doc said that everything was looking good and that I might be able to be weight bearing by my next appointment on 8/10. (6 weeks post surgery)
    How much does age figure into the time it takes to heal?

Thanks everyone and good luck!
    J

Last edited by The J; 08-28-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #28
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Smile Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Hi J,

I'm sorry we all have to meet this way, but it's happened and we all deal with it. Hopefully we can all help each other stay positive and continue to move forward with our recoveries.

I broke mine into 6 or 7 pieces July 19 off a ladder. I too had surgery the same day as you. 8 screws and a plate....

We both have very similar stories with our pain levels. I only take Tylenol or Ty PM to help me sleep.

I know the exact discomfort and pain you are talking about. The nerve running from the heal to the toes is a good size and has to be moved during surgery. I feel it all the time. I am in an air cast, walking boot. Depending on how much pressure I put into the cast.

The nerve doesn't hurt as much when I'm not wearing the cast. Mine always acts up just before bedtime. Lucky me.

I am 2 weeks post op, with stitches removed 2 weeks ago. I have steri strips which are slowly falling off.

I see my doc 9/17 for xrays and hope he tells me to start PT and partial WB too.

Good luck, we're in this ride side by side J.

Ed

Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #29
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

Hi Ed.
    Not that nerve pain is ever a good thing which it's not, it's good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing it. I am going to push or a walking boot/air cast at my next Dr. appointment, I have had enough of my fiberglass one for sure!

Did anyone else have staples and any ideas as to why I had staples and stitches?

Thanks
    Happy Healing

Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #30
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Hello all,
    I am just starting my 10th week post op. Wore a boot for about a week and a half. Yesterday, decided to wear a sneaker instead.(it was a size and a half bigger than what i normally wear) My foot felt much better in the sneaker. Seemed like when i swelled, the boot would irritate my foot. Down to one crutch. I can "walk"(okay hobble) without crutches for a little while. Pain can be managed with over the counter meds. My ankle started hurting yesterday for the first time. Hopefully that is just from inaction. Every day is a little better. To the question about healing.....I would say a young nonsmoking, inshape male has the best chance of healing the fastest.
    take care
    Stew

Closed Thread