It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #46
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

TC,

Thanks for the great advice and forthought of our recoveries.

I am listening to the doc and doing as he says. I guess I was confused when the nurse told me not to baby my foot. Touch it etc....when bathing. I assumed (dont') that it was OK to sit here on the couch and let the incision air out. As I moved my foot slightly there was no pain.

I have to be more careful with the cast on and elevated as I have found some uncomfortble spots where I feel it in the heel bone. I am not justifying what I've done, just sharing what I have discovered.

I have not yet stood up and almost stepped on the bad foot. I have slipped and hit a wall but not even close to having walked on it.

Right now I am waiting for 9/17 for my xrays and doc appt. Hopefully PT and partial WB......

Thanks again for all your posts and encouragements.
    Keep healing everyone.
    Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #47
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Hi Heelies,
    Glad to hear about the progress everyone is making.
    Just got back from avoiding Gustav, thank God no major damage at the home stead.
    I have been using a cane since 8/30 and am finding it easy to do. By the end of this week I expect to be crutch free.
    Still waiting to hear about the culture sample they took last friday.
    Ed, I only put the air cast on when am up and about. I also let my incsion air out as much as I can, seems to be working.
    Carole, Jim, hang in there, every day is progress.
    I agree with TC about setting goals. Mine is to be crutch free by 9/15 so I can go back to work. Rigth now my money is on me. Ok guys remember stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelis

Joe

Last edited by joe41; 09-03-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #48
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Hello all,
    Nice to read all those positive thoughts! I know i am one of the older "heelies"(fell back in June) so this can be some info for down the road. I have been weaning myself off crutches for 2 weeks. At home i go without or with a cane, at work i use one crutch. Tonight, i went for a bike ride. What a wonderful feeling! For the first time in 3 months, i felt uninjured. No pain, not even that funky feeling that is hard to describe. And it is so cool to do something fast! (well, to me it seemed fast) Great therapy!
    take care,
    Stew

Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #49
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

ps
    Was reminded of this in todays paper....The sun helps your body produce vitamin D, which helps strengthen bones. Its free and right now, its plentiful!
    take care
    Stew

Old 09-04-2008, 03:31 AM   #50
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Ed,

I can be preachy at times.Thanks for taking it the right way.

Joe,

For you and others returning to work: I highly recommend ensuring that it is manageable. You might be surprised (even shocked) at what a jump it is going from months off to the physical and mental demands. The same can hold true in relation to others understanding that you are still recovering. Remember that to anyone else besides us a fracture means a cast and you're fine in a few weeks. It easy easy for them to get the impression that: A) you can do anything easily, and B) if not, you are slacking. I would suggest that you inform them that you might have limitations and that your doc's orders include "as tolerated". One trick that works is to start midweek so as not to bite off too much. The other is to work half days at first.

And thanks to everyone reporting back as you go. This is a hard journey when it's made solo.

TC

Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #51
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Thumbs up Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Joe,

No worries TC. I will take what ever advice anyone offers me. I take what I can use and throw away the rest.

I am with you on taking the cast off and letting the incisions get some air. Seems that inside the cast is can't get any air and takes longer to heal, but I also don't want to risk the chance of the incision opening when the doc tells me to start PT in 2 weeks. (fingers crossed)

Good advice with the vitamin D. Get out and get some sun. Dr Oz recommends 15 minutes a day. He's been on Oprah and has been preaching this the last couple of weeks.

Stew.....I am so jealous of your bike ride. As someone who rides 2000 miles a summer, this idle sitting is really a downer. No, not getting depressed, just wishing I was back in the saddle.

AS always stay postive and keep healing everyone.

Ed

Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #52
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

TC,
    thanks for your sound and caring advice I will do my best to heed it. However I work in 24/7 job and I can get seat time during my shift. I also go to the gym daily, I'll let you know how it goes.
    ED,
    I think you will be fine with the PT, they are not going to make you do anything to cause a problem for you.
    Stew,
    am with Ed on your bike ride, good for you. Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #53
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

Thanks for the words of encouragement TC. You are also spot on with your comments about work. I made the mistake of starting back at work on a Monday and I was completely worn out by the end of each day and had to take Friday off to recoup.
    Though I don't recommend it, it is possible to ride your bike if you have clip less pedals. I did it a week after surgery when the pain had subsided and I was getting bored. I kept my injured foot on top of the top tube and pedaled up and down my 300' driveway. Getting off of the bike can be kind of tricky but it's possible. The doctor wasn't terribly happy when he found out about my adventure, when I plead my case saying that he never said I couldn't. He replied he didn't think anyone ever would.
    I find out on 9/10 if I will be WB or back in another cast. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Keep Healing everyone!
    Jason

Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #54
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies!
    Guess what, Wednesday night I noticed the one scab left on my foot was draining.
    Called the Dr. right away, he said to go ahead & start taking the extra bottle of Keflex I had on hand, put antibiotic salve & a bandage on it, don't move my foot & keep the boot on.
    I think it's just a minor infection but don't want to let it get out of hand.
    Dr. is not to worried, but may want to see me next week on Wednesday.

Glad your all doing fine.

Keep on healing healies!

Carole

Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #55
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Talking Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Hi Carole,

Keep us posted on the leakage. I hope it doesn't turn into anything. I'm glad you notified the doc right away. How long have you been on the Keflex?

Thank you Joe for the advice on PT. I'll find out soon enough, no sense getting worked up over it. It is what it is.

Jason.......I have no comment about you riding a bicycle 1 week after your surgery. I can't come up with anything to say....LOL

I finally went outside and laid out in the sun for 30 minutes. It felt very good as I haven't done that since last year. I still continue to left weights and do stomach crunches. Gotta do something during the day.

Have a great wekend everyone and keep heeling.

Ed

Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #56
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Again!
    Been taking Keflex for 2 days since Wednesday night, it only took the Dr.'s office exchange about 1 minuet to get him on the phone for me.
    It's kind of hard to keep the boot on especialy since it's so hot here in the S.F. bay area we are getting 3 digit temps.
    Been working yesterday & today, just sitting down stuffing envelopes, doing quotes, checking jobs & talking to clients.
    I'm going to a big S.F. farmers market in the morning, then helping here at the mail house for a few hours, then helping at a S.M. gem & mineral show in the afternoon & Sunday.

Have a great weekend!
    I'm gonna catch up to ya!
    Keep up the good healing!

Thank you,
    Carole

Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #57
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Jason,
    as they say in my old neighborhood, "what are you crazy"you must be one heck of a gambler. But I can understand you wanting to motor, be careful.
    Hey Carole,
    I have some slight seepage also and they put me on cefadroxil 2 a day. I called the Doc. today to see if they got the results of the culture and was told they are switching me to sepro. I still bath the area and then let it air out while am in the recliner. If I get up and about I put antibiotic salve on and a wide bandage and my air cast. It seems to be getting better. I have been using a cane since Friday. Went for a walk of about 1/8 mile no problem. I go back to the Doc. on the 12th for a check up. Then hopefuly to work by the 18th.
    Ed,
    sunshine is good for you, I get out daily to get my dose stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #58
    Jenten10
    (female)

Jenten10 HB User
    Fractured Calcaneus

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend fractured his calcaneus in March of this year. He had surgery in April and has 3 plates and 6-7 screws in his heel now. His recovery is going well, but not as well as he would like. I'm trying to research good shoe brands and (even more importantly) a flip flop brand that he might be able to wear. He is a surfer and not being able to wear flip flops has been a blow to his soul. If anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated! I know this injury is very hard on him as it must be to all of you. God bless and hope for a speedy recovery.

Thanks,

Jen

Old 09-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #59
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Joe,
    I have been putting Propolis & antibiotic ointment on the wound last 2 days & it looks much better.
    Sure hope it clears up.
    Can't beleave your actualy walking! Way to go!

Keep on healing heelie!

Thank you,
    Carole

Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #60
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Hi all,

Just a little FYI. My steri strips came off 2 weeks ago, but the incision wasn't healing and closing. I used neosporin covered by band aides on the affected areas but it made the skin looser and again, the incision didn't close up like I expected.

After my bath I put the neosporin on the incision then my cotton sock, then the boot. Just since last Friday the one part of the incision has closed up and is healing nicely. I expect Wednesday the remaining parts will be completely closed up.

It will be 7 weeks next Wedensday for Xrays and (keeping my fingers crossed) PT and partial WB. I'll keep everyone posted.

Jen, he can't wear flip flops at all? Can I ask why? I would think those would be very comfortable. I found out this week a friend of mine had heel spurs removed. He now cuts out the back of his sneakers or her wears clogs or crocs.

Keep healing everyone.

Ed

Closed Thread