It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #76
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Well I don't know about the exercises working, I am in more pain today than I was a month ago, but I am hoping that is because of the stretching exercises and that it will improve when my foot gets used to the exercises.

Keep healing heelies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #77
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Hello all,
    Glad to read all the good news. I have been walking without aid for over a week now. Still get swelling but that lessons every day. Went and bought a size bigger sneaker and that seems to be working. About that first step...when i was going to the doctor, i told my wife that even if he told me i could walk that day, someone could have gave me 1000 dollars for one step and i couldn't do it. You just start a little wb at a time with the crutches and go from there. I go to pt once a week and do the exercises every day. After fearing heel pain all those weeks, my main pain is in in the top of my foot in the calcaneus-talas joint.(actually, i have pain everywhere except my heel, but its a good pain cause i am finally on 2 feet!) Uneven ground really gives me trouble. My inversion and eversion of the foot still needs to come a long way but hopefully as the swelling goes down, that gets better. My major complaint---I CAN'T SLEEP more that a couple of hours at a time. Every time i move, i wake up.
    I am pulling for all of you!
    take care
    Stew

Old 09-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #78
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Healies!
    Pat: sorry your in more pain, hope you feel better soon.
    Jason: I'm really good at hopping on one foot & crutching around as well.
    I fell down about 8 times so far but never hurt my bad foot thank goodness.
    Watch out for animal hair on hard wood floors, standing up in the shower with eyes closed, dropping crutches on sore foot when boots not on & any thing thats even slightly intoxicating.
    I have 24 days to try & stenthen calf & foot muscles before walking, hope it goes smoothly for both of us!
    Ed: I'll tighten up my boot straps on 10/8 for sure before taking that 1st step.
    Joe: Happy your doing well, Thank you for your prayers & the detailed info. on wound & 1st steps.
    Stew: Glad your doing so good, I wonder do you wake up every 2 hours at night because your in pain.
    Heelies: I'm not as scared about my 1st steps now, after reading what you all had to say about it, I realize I'm not alone in this situation .

Thank You All Kindly!
    Be Carefull & Keep on Healing Heelies
    Carole

Old 09-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #79
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

I was just wondering if any one knows how long after surgey infection can come. I forgot to ask the doc. that at my last appointment.
    Thanks Keep Healing Heelies
    Mark

Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #80
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Hi Mark,

Jmac (Jim) wound up with an infection 7 weeks post op. I've read in some of the older threads and found one or two more infections that happened 5 weeks post op.

I was probably a little excessive, but after what Jim went thru I did everything I could think of to prevent infection.

I was very careful about the incision, what touched it and how I washed it. I washed my foot with soapy hands first then would rinse it in the water before I washed anything else. I then held my foot out of the water during the rest of my bath.

I used a small towel just to dry my foot with, then used another towel for the rest of my body.

I put neosporin on it right away and a band aide in the beginning but stopped using band aides 2 weeks ago. The incision is now completely closed. Still healing inside, but closed. I hope this helps.

I did get to the Phillies game last night. It was a lot of work with the crutches, it was great to get out and do something.

Thank you Stew and Pat for the information about your 1st steps and what you are going thru. I have a better idea where it might hurt or not. I'll let e everyone know how my doc visit goes on Wed.

Keep healing heelies,
    Ed

Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #81
    sarkin
    (female)

sarkin HB User

Hi all,

I have been bouncing around the board reading everyone's stories. It is disheartening to read how long recovery is for these injuries! I don't have a calcaneus injury, but will be having surgery in less than 2 weeks. My doc. is going to cut through my calcaneus bone and move it over (lateral calcaneal translational osteotomy) as well as a bunch of other stuff. This is my 2nd surgery on this ankle/foot. I have a question about elevation and how having the injury to the calcaneus affects comfort during elevation. Since, when elevated, our foot rests on the heel bone, does it affect how you set up your pillows for elevation?

Any advice on how to be the most comfortable would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Sarah

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #82
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Sarah,

I am curious and hope you don't mind the question, but wondering why the surgery is required....what complications are you having?

My experience with this has been, elevation is your friend to help with the swelling, however I found that it was also uncomfortable most of the time. There were times where having my foot level with the seat I am sitting on was more comfortable. I also found times where having my foot below my waist was more comfortable.

The clincher was when the surgeon told me he would not repair my heel unless the swelling was down. Presurgery...so, I listened to the doc made due with the discomfort.

I did notice differences in the swelling when I had my foot elevated above my heart or at seat level. Even today 6 weeks post op, I can see a difference as I'm sure other heelies on this sight can attest to.

I too was hugely disappointed how long this takes to heal. Once I resigned myself to that and accepted my limitations, I found other ways to occupy my time and still be productive.

A word of advice, is listen to your body and foot and don't push the process. There is nothing that can be done to make the healing happen faster.

There is a very good group of heelies who check this sight weekly, in various stages on recovery. They are a wealth of knowledge and positive support.
    Please ask any and all questions and you will always get an answer.

When is your surgery? Please keep us posted as you are able.

Remember to stay positive thru all of this. We'll help you do that.
    Ed

Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #83
    jmac47
    (male)

jmac47 HB User

I've said it since day one of this -- elevation is your friend! If you have a soft pillow under your foot and calf, the discomfort isn't that bad. Especially early on, if I had my foot down, I had a lot of throbbing, not to mention, more swelling. Get comfy and stay patient. Best of luck to you with your surgery.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #84
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Wink Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

I'm sorry Sarah, I was in a hard cast for 2 weeks after the surgery. I used a bean bag chair propped up on the couch to rest my foot on. There is no way to avoid having the foot rest without putting pressure on the heel bone. Ask the surgeon about this if you are concerned.

Once I got the air cast/ walking boot there was less pressure on the heel.

Once the pain level went down, sometime I woud lie on my belly, bend my knee and keep my foot straight up. I would change positions hourly for the best comfort level.

One more thing....the incision takes a while to heal, because the skin is tight around the ankle, less blood flow from the rest of the body, and it is in a cast without getting some fresh air. 5 weeks post op, the incision is finally closed completely, but I can still feel it healing under the skin. (pins and needles etc.)

Ed

Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #85
    sarkin
    (female)

sarkin HB User

Thanks for your responses!

My surgery is the 26th, and will be in the hospital for 2-3 days.

The surgery is 2 fold. I had surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago for a talar OCD (lesion). This surgery failed and am having to do it again. My new surgeon stated that he believes that my 1st ankle surgery failed due to high arches and very poor foot mechanics. Moving the calcaneus bone over along with a tendon transfer and plantar fascia release is being done to adjust the architecture of my foot. Along with those things my ankle will be redrilled, a graft taken from my knee and placed in my ankle. NWB for 6-12 weeks! My job is on the line b/c of this I am breaking out in hives.....hmmmm....stress related?

I really like the idea of using bean bag chairs (although they might be hot), but they are soft and malleable.

Thanks again. The tips and info. is helpful to be well prepare.

Sarah

Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #86
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi,
    Glad to hear you are doing so well. What exercises are you doing? and did they make your leg and foot ache more when you started doing them first?

Thanks

Keep Healing Heelies

Pat

Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #87
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Pat,

Who was your last post aimed at re: exercising?

So I don't have to wait for a response back, I'll just answer you. I am doing all upper body stuff with free weights. Bench press, ******** curls, leg extensions (on a bench), lat machine, bench flies, shoulder work and dumbell curls. It doesn't put any strain on anything and I can keep my foot in the air when I do them. I also do stomach crunches, but the crutches are working the abs pretty well too.

I hope this helps.

I'll let everyone know how my Doc appt goes tomorrow.

Keep healing heelies,
    Ed

Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #88
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hi Sarah,

sorry to hear about your problem foot. I agree with with Jim and Ed eleavation is your best friend and ice will help also. I don't know what caused your problem but I sure hope you have success this time.

I was wondering if you are aware of bone past and would it be an alternative to the bone graft? Maybe you should ask your Doc. what he thinks.

Like Ed, I too was in a hard cast for 2 weeks post op then an aircast which I swear by. I use my recliner and two pillows to elevate and it doesn't bother my heel bone. You could also put something under your achillies to keep your heel from contacting the pillows. I hope this helps some. Remember stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Last edited by joe41; 09-16-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Closed Thread