It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
    jmac47
    (male)

jmac47 HB User
    Fractured Calcaneus 2

Starting this new thread since the moderator shut our other one down. Hope everyone makes it back to this one.

Thanks for the well wishes Carole. Still doing the IV meds twice a day, so hopefully, everything is under control.

Keep healing heelies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Hey Jim,
    Good work starting new thread. Hope your doing well and making progress. Stay Strong, every day is another day closer to full recovery. Best wishes.

Pat,
    Thanks for asking, I haven't started WB yet. I go to Doc. Friday the 22nd. That's when he said he wants me to start WB. Foot feels good. Am working on side to side, up and down is going well, I think. Will see, I hope he is right. I will let everyone know Friday. Stay strong and positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Last edited by joe41; 08-19-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Healies!
    Oh boy we new threads, 1st thought we all got new clothes, just kidding.
    Jmac glad the infection is under control.
    I'm looking forward to knowing what all your Dr's say.

Hope your all doing well!

Keep on Healing Healies!
    Carole

Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

Hi all just go off work and home and went to catch up on everyone and find it closed/ really glad a new one is up great job jim, while I'm 3 weeks out of surgery going good so far got sore the other day, but I've been iceing my foot after work and sofar feels good still hurts a little stretching/moving up /down just started side to side today and will work it day by day. hope everyone is doing good.
    KEEP HEALING HEELIES
    Mark

Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Hello all,
    Jim,
    Thanks for starting the new thread. Everyone, It sure helps talking to others who are going through the same thing. I started a little weight bearing on fri afternoon. Got a little cocky and tried one crutch yesterday.(you can do so much more with a foot on the ground and a free hand) Paid for it today. Heel is very sore and swollen. Was back to 2 crutches today. Trying to relieve pain with cold wraps and ibuprofen. (hate the idea of going back to the vicoden) As i have heard before- 2 steps forward, one step back!
    take care
    Stew

Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #6
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

Hi all
    Just a question for being month & week after injury do any body have bad pain when storms come in your area rain, blowing over heads, or any kind of storms. It's 4:00 a.m. was woke up with pain in foot, but soon as I got up and moved around went away, my foot is not red or anything same swelling as all day nothing changed just wheather forecast as I can think of.basicly asking about arthrits in the time amount.
    Thanks all answer backs,
    stay postive and Keep Healing Heelies
    Mark

Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Mark,

Sorry to hear about the weather affecting you so. Are you using a boot or a wrap while you are at work. I'll tell you when am out and about and have my air boot on it is very secure. This might help you with your swelling at work. When you get home you can elevate and excersie your foot. Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Smile Re: Fractured Calcaneus 2

Good Day Heelies,

I'm glad to hear everyone is sharing more successful healing stories than negative stories.

I have to share that my bragging rights for being pain free ended last night, however it was a result of putting too much air in the cast and the pressure on the incision was too much. So I tossed and turned for a while last night. I finally got up, took my cast off and rearranged everything.

My poor wife is getting as much sleep as I. LOL

This morning I am in a little discomfort, but still not taking any more than regular Tylenol.

I have a question. I believe Tchair spoke of an orthopedic sock that helped with his recovery. I think it may have been a compression sock? Was it used while wearing the air cast or after you were done with the air cast.

Thank you.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

Hey joe
    I'm wearing a walking boot (wish it was a air boot from what I've heard about them). but I ice up after work cause I dont want pills to help with pain plus it relaxes my foot before I exercise it from beening in the boot all night thur about noon to one when I'm at work. but it felt great and funny to finely wash it last night, feel's different now with most of the dead skin gone .today was a better day so its day by day slowly working up the chain of recovery.
    Keep Healing Heelies
    Mark

Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Trigut,
    did you have surgery, if so when. I don't put my air cast on unless am up and about, other wise am in my recliner and elevated. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Mark,
    does the walking boot air up? Maybe you want to mention the air cast to your Doc. see how he feels about it. I will let you know what happens this Friday if my Doc. wants me to WB with or without the air cast. I am going to ask him for sure. Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi,

I'm sorry. I posted my full story on another thread a few days ago,

Short, I was forced to jump from a ladder July 19 landing square on my heel. ER Xrays, CT scan etc...showed 6-7 pieces. The 1st surgeon told me he wasn't interested. I consulted a 2nd surgeon and put me at ease immediately.

He gave me the choice or surgery or cast treatment. He performed the surgery July 31 with an overnight stay. 1 plate and 8 screws. I had a leg block and general anesthesia. When the leg block wore off it was the worst pain I ever felt. 3 IV meds later finally killing the pain.

I came home on the couch and ate vicadin and percocet for 4-5 days, but the pain was never above a 4/5. After the 5 days, I was on Tylenol only.

I had to get my cast changed early due to rubbing on the incision. 2 weeks after surgery they removed the stitches. The next 2 days I felt pins and needles from the skin working it's way back to it's presurgry position.

I am in an aircast/ walking boot still trying to find the right amount of air vs, support vs comfort.

I have yet to feel any pain over a 3/4 and have only taken Tylenol.

Sleep is still difficult at times to find a comfortable elevated position.

I see the doc Sept 17 for an xray to see if it's calcifying. If so, I head into PT and start partial WB. I'll keep everyone posted as things move forward.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #12
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Ed,
    I hadn't used compression stockings, but I've read enough comments by other heelies to be convinced they can be very helpful. Although you can purchase lower pressure ones ( up to 20 mmHg) over the counter, I'd still get a docs recommendation as it is a 'treatment'. Also insurance generally covers them if prescribed.

Mark,
    Speaking of barometric pressure, out of every group with injuries a few report sensitivity to changes in the weather. Unfortunately, being different is also part of the definition of insanity.....

TC

Old 08-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #13
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi All,
    Has anyone used a tens machine for dealing with the pain around the ankle following heel fracture?
    I am tempted to try one as I am having trouble walking without crutch but don't want to make things worse.

Pat

Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi again everyone,

I spoke to my doc about the compression socsk today. He told me they are normally used later in the recovery process when the cast comes off and swelling exists.

I have started taking the cast off during my hours of back and laptop time. I'm finding it helps relieve some of the pressure off the incision and the skin. It also allows the skin to get back to it's presurgery positions too.

More to follw as the healing continues.

Speedy recovery to all.
    Ed
    PS, my log in name was supposed to be triguy450 not trigut.....I mistyped is when I registered.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Pat,
    Talked to my daughter who is in her final year of PT school. She said the tens unit is used to block or mix up the pain signals that your nerves are sending to your brain. Some pt's use them at the beginning of therapy so the person can get through the exercises. She says some people say it works for them, some say it doesn't. Speaking of Pt, I seem to be one of the few that was sent to pt as soon as my stitches were out. I have found out, my surgeon started out as a pt before going back to med school!

Take care
    Stew

Closed Thread