It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ganglion Cyst With Discolored Skin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
    kellyanne323
    (female)

kellyanne323 HB User
    Question Ganglion Cyst With Discolored Skin

Just curious to see if anyone has had a ganglion cyst in the foot with discolored skin over it. I've had my cyst for maybe ten years- it never goes away completely, but at times gets very small and at other times grows. I saw a doctor for it when I first found it as a teenager, and haven't really thought about it much since. It does get painful when it gets big, and I wrap it snugly and it goes down after a few days, and I do have some tingling and such when it's pressed, and I have difficulty wearing sneakers and any shoes that cover it... but I thought it was harmless, and therefore haven't paid it much attention.

Anyway, I recently had some PT for a different problem, and the PT noticed the cyst. She said I really should get it checked out, that it shouldn't be there that long, and that the skin over it shouldn't get discolorations. At times- not always- it appears darker than the surrounding skin. She said it's probably due to swelling. The skin is also very dry over it and cracked (painless cracks, though)... I do use tons of lotion and don't have that anywhere else, just over the cyst.

As it's not bothering me right now, I feel kind of silly going into the orthopedic for it, and I'm wondering if this is normal for a ganglion cyst... has anyone experienced this?

(I also have an accessory navicular in the same foot, on the other side of the ankle, but it's not a problem, it's the smaller one, I already had the one on the other foot removed. Not much history of problems with this foot but big history of breaks, stress fractures, AN removal, tendon tear, etc. in other foot.)

Any insight would be great. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread