It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Injury/Surgery Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
    paulm74
    (male)

paulm74 HB User
    Need advice on possible ankle surgery PLZ

When I was a Senior in high school 3 years ago, I tore all of the ligaments in my ankle and broke my fibula during a football practice. I had surgery to insert a metal plate in my leg to stabilize my fibula and had numerous screws to align my ankle for the ligaments to repair properly. Obviously I had the regular problems associated with ligament damage(stiff ligaments, ankle soreness and tenderness). Well three years removed, I still occasionally get pain in my ankle but other than that, it doesn't really affect my performance and i can cut/run without even noticing the difference. Anyways, I am preparing to go to college to play Lacrosse next Fall. My question is anyone here who's heard of lacrosse knows that it involves A LOT of running, I'm afraid with my bum ankle I'll have a lot of trouble putting my body thru the rigorous season schedule and was wondering how much I would benefit from ankle surgery to remove any/all scar tissue out of my leg along with getting the metal plate removed from my fibula. Does having a procedure like that release pressure and make you feel better? I don't feel an extreme amount of pain in my ankle but it's more of that sore/nagging pain. For example, if I sit for an extended period of time or wake up from bed, I walk with a major limp and my bad foot feels a lot weaker than my good one until i essential "warm-up my ankle". My parents were telling that in order to get my ankle cleaned and the plate taken out, I have to essentially "lie" to the doctor and say that it really bothers me. I would just like any opinions or advice as to what I should do? I plan on possibly scheduling an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow and possibly have surgery in early Dec, while im on break from school so I have 5-6 months to recover before I start playing again. I am a pretty athletic person, I lift weights a lot, run a lot and like to stay very active. I just want to know if I will really notice a difference when or if i get the plate taken out and any or all scar tissue removed? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by paulm74; 08-28-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Ankle Injury/Surgery Questions

One thing to ask the doctor is: Would it possibly be a bad idea to remove the plate and/or scar tissue. Scar tissue can be functional, and the zigzag running on grass that your sport requires is probably the hardest thing for someone with a history of ankle ligament injury. It's possible that the plate and the scar tissue are what's keeping your ankle stable enough.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that. Often, removal of excess scar tissue allows the ankle to move freely, swell up less, and hurt less. I certainly benefited from having the scar tissue in my joint removed. However, my scar tissue was on the synovium (joint lining) only. It wasn't functional.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
    paulm74
    (male)

paulm74 HB User
    Re: Ankle Injury/Surgery Questions

Thank you for the advice. The thing with my injury is that when I play and I have all of the adrenaline going thru my system, I don't feel any discomfort or pain. I can cut and run w/ no limitations but within an hour of finishing, my ankle becomes really sore and i begin to limp very badly. I haven't worn an ankle brace since I was in high school but the only thing i worry about is my foot being able to withstand putting my foot thru a 14 game season and 5 practices a week.

Closed Thread