It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle surgery with hardware

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Ankle surgery with hardware

A friend had a commuted fracture in his ankle. Had surgery with plates, screws, wire, temporary screws. The first week he had a splint on which looked like a cast. That was taken off yesterday and a regular cast was put on.

When he got home from the hospital he noticed his toes were turning people when his foot was down. This didn't happen right after surgery when the splint cast thingy was on. Is this typical post surgery when you have hardware in to have swelling get worse the 2nd week to the point of your toes turning purple?

He went to the local ER and they cut the cast down each side to get it off without destroying it. Cleaned up the wound, no infection seen from the staples which are still in. They put the cast on with a bandage around it so it's on but looser. His toes are still turning purple when his foot is down.

I'm worried about this. He's fairly young and healthy otherwise. We have a call into the surgeon but would hardware cause lack of circulation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
    K_Lana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
    Re: Ankle surgery with hardware

My last ankle surgery my toes and foot turned purple for months afterwards. It is normal. I think the lack of movement of the ankle and foot while it is in a cast contributes to that. I think most people who have had ankle or foot surgery will tell you that the foot will turn purple and it will be like that for quite awhile. My foot returned to normal color once my activity returned to normal.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
    kimber687
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB User

I agree. I am now 7 weeks post op from ankle surgery and am experiencing the purple foot with the feeling that it wants to explode when it's down and not elevated.

This was my second ankle surgery so I was prepared for it as it happened last time as well and lasted for a few months after surgery. It is completely normal and will last for months.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
    sandcastles
    (female)

sandcastles HB User

I think that discoloration of the toes is perfectly normal. My toes turn lovely shades of purple when I have them down too long. (I'm 7 weeks p/o).

Elevation is key in the recovery process.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thank you all for your responses. We were getting worried. Waiting for the doctor to call this morning and hopefully he will tell us the same thing you all did about this.

Closed Thread