It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Triple arthrodesis, updates (new thread)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #16
    shelleybutn
    (female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
    Re: Triple arthrodesis, updates (new thread)

i'm here. been busy traveling with work. have been squishing into a shoe to go to work, lasting half of the day, then i put the boot back on. not doing too bad. real sore, but everywhere else. my big toe hurts, arch, achilles......well, at least my bones don't hurt!

catlady, email didn't work. got sent back. oh well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

Hi all,
    I think I've just been going through the fourth week blues. I know I have 6 more weeks in my cast and can't seem to get enough upper body strength to get around. My balance isn't what it should be so I tend to stumble with my walker occassionally and that scares me. I'd love to try the crutches because I think they'd be a bit easier to sustain a walk around the house but I'm scared. So I'm pretty limited to where the wheelchair goes. Though my friends from church have been great about coming over nightly to help me get dinner and take out the dog, I feel like I should be able to handle that on my own by now. I just wish I could get over the fear of falling.

All things considered, though, I'm getting along ok. Not really wanting for anything except to be free to move again. And I know it's coming. There's lots of other things going on that I wish I could participate in but it's ok to be taking this time. I know I couldn't work this way since most of my work is on foot. So I try to keep my mind exercised.

Glad to hear others are doing well.
    Linda

Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #18
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

I have been here, just busy. I sent you an e-mail, but to date, no reply. Busy cleaning house and such. Got to see Neil Diamond on Saturday; now I can have my surgery!
    Kathy

Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

Have you tried a knee scooter? I have one ready for me, and I need to begin pratcicing.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

I've avoided the knee scooter because I just had a Total Knee replacement on that leg in May. I haven't been comfortable about even trying to use it for that reason, besides balance. Perhaps I should be rethinking...it seems everyone around here doesn't speak well of them.

I did use the walker to enter the kitchen today. And realized I couldn't get anything out of anywhere. But I'm determined to hang in there.
    Linda

Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #21
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

Linda.. I got a barstool for the kitchen.. then you can sit at the counter, microwave your lunch or dinner.. or even make something simple.. I started doing that after a few weeks and it made me feel better.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
    mimi2945
    (female)

mimi2945 HB User

Hey catlady and all,
    I'm still here...don't know why I stopped posting..just did. I got my second cast off Friday and got THE BOOT...I hate it. The only good thing is that I could finally wash my whole body...my foot is healing and the xrays looked good. Of course I still have to stay off it for another 4 weeks...you have to be really careful when the cast comes off because you can easily put that foot down without thinking...haven't done it yet but the possibility is there. I don't know what happens to the day..it just goes by and I realize that I haven't done anything constructive..not even read a book. I spend alot of time on the computer just surfing...I guess that's constructive in its own way.
    I did get to go to lunch after the doctor and that was the highlight of the month..the first time out in 8 and a half weeks! OMG, it was great...I think the main reason we're kept in is for fear of falling which I did last week...fell on my right side (not of my foot) and have some of the biggest bruises I've ever had...let me tell you ceramic tile in my bathroom is HARD! My knee slipped on the seat of my scooter, really my own fault for not holding the handlebars at the same time I put my knee on it, so be careful 'cause it can throw you if you're not careful.
    that's about it for now...glad to hear everyone is doing good and sorry I didn't stay in touch better. Have a great week.
    Paula

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #23
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

Paula,
    those scooters are sounding more and more dangerous
    I don't do very much some days either. and the days blend together. I do manage to make dinners on occasion, folding laundry, little things like that.. makes me feel more useful.
    congratulations on getting out of the cast.. i had mine off for 2 days and it felt wonderful, but he had to put another one on after he looked the xrays.. i go back on the 8th and it better come off and stay off. I remember when I didn't have the cast on, I was very nervous about accidently putting weight on it.. and I hardly did anything those 2 days! but it was nice to soak it and not having that weight on my foot was awesome!
    keep in touch and be careful , okay?!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #24
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

I told my doctor yesterday that we had a scooter at home, and the first he said was to practice! I promised I would do that this weekend when the kids are gone. They really like to make fun of mom.
    Tomorrow is pre-op at the hospital. Any suggestions regrading questions I should ask. I understand that some docs, have the nursing staff insert a catheter. Not my idea of a good time.
    Kathy

Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #25
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

Kathy,
    I had a catheter in for the first day after both of my total knees. They didn't do it for my triple. I really wish they had. It never bothered me and using the bed pan and getting up to go (the next day) was a lot more of a drag than the cath ever was. Didn't even feel it when it was in or even when taken out.
    Linda

Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #26
    shelleybutn
    (female)

no catheter here. was interesting using the bedpan the first few times. never used one before. but got the hang of it. you start to assess the "how much do i want to drink this vs. i will have to get up and pee!"

shelley

Old 10-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

In other words, intake vs, outflow? Were you still on the IV to push fluids?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #28
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

I was on the IV. So not much control over intake! It all worked out ok, though. You know, in all of this, going to the bathroom had been my biggest worry. It's all worked out, though. Just taken a little planning. I am grateful to have a commode in the bedroom for the nights and times I'm just too weary to move myself. But overall, it's really turned out to be my best exercise.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #29
    shelleybutn
    (female)

this was after i was home, off IV. the first two weeks i was only drinking what i had to stay hydrated. didn't want to pee too often. too much work. but once you get a system down, it's fine. you just have to get into a routine and do the same thing every time--or that is when you fall

Old 10-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

Has anyone used the (I don't know the name) handlebars for the toilet?

Closed Thread