It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Triple arthrodesis, updates (new thread)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
    shelleybutn
    (female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
    Triple arthrodesis, updates (new thread)

Hi al my triple family. Here is a new thread for us....... i'm doing well. starting to be out of boot at home, not at work yet. alot of pain in my achilles but that will pass as it gets used to it.

shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User
    Re: Triple arthrodesis, updates (new thread)

Hi Shelley,

Thank you for starting this new thread. How long have you been out now? I am going to ask you the same question I asked Alex, how did you manage to sleep the night before surgery? My surgery is in 3 weeks and 3 days, and I am getting anxious. Yes, I am ready to be out of constant pain and off the pain meds, but the fear of pain after surgery is really beginning to take its toll.
    Kathy

Last edited by klbs1961; 09-15-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
    shelleybutn
    (female)

kathy, i am now just over 4 months, may 9th was my surgery. the bone pain is completly gone, now just have soft tissue pain and such. the night before surgery i was real anxious. and i am the type of persone who doesn't sleep the night before something big. i don't really remember, i think i slept ok. i was just so over the pain. and so excited for the surgery. the morning of though......so nervous i think i peed 20 times before i went in to the operating room. at times i was so over this surgery, and very depressed. it's hard and really takes a toll on you mentally. but i finally can see the end of the tunnel. hang in there, we are here for you.
    shelley

Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

hi..
    I'll have more of an update tomorrow after my doctors appointment (please.. can all of you send positive vibes at around 10:15am? I want this cast OFF now. I've had it.)

anyway.. like Shelley said, this surgery really does take its toll on you mentally. theres so many changes and its just very frustrating at times. Its a long process and if you lack patience, like I do.. its even harder.

to answer your questions (even though they weren't directed at me.. lol) I took a xanax the night before my surgery and slept fine. otherwise I would have probably just stayed up all night trying to figure out a way to run away (i should have. lol)
    and time out of work tends to vary. I'll be out at least 6 months, maybe longer because my job as a baker/cake decorator requires me to stand for long amounts of time and my doctor doesn't want me back there. which of course, is difficult for me because I love my job. but we'll see. I'm planning on giving it a try when I feel ready, I work for an awesome company and they've been great about all this time off and they were great before the surgery (i put it off for 2 years and spent about 1/3 of my time at work sitting down because I hurt so bad and after awhile I realized I just couldn't do it anymore)

one thing I've noticed everyone on this board mentioning is being concerned about their "good" foot. I am too, and I can't deal with this crap again. the nurse in the hospital told me to try to always have a shoe on for support and in the beginning I was just too lazy, but these past few days I've made it a point to wear a shoe on my other foot and I've noticed a big difference.

this has turned into a novel. to be honest, todays one of those days where I'm kind of frustrated and really stressed about tomorrows appointment. I'll update again then.. thanks for reading if you made it all the way thru!

~Maryanne

Old 09-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

Maryann,
    Thank you so much for the honesty and support! BTW, what on earth is patience? I do not believe that is a real word, because I am always being told I have none! I had something like this done 20+ years ago, and it hurt like &*(*&&&%%$%^#$%#%#!!!!!! Think I will lye about the stairs leading to the house, if I can, my husband is a nurse, and is one of those honesty will help people. Glad things are getting better. I hope you are still on the board when I have surgery! kathy

Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

Hi All. Two weeks post surgery today. It's so comforting to know others who have been or are going through this. Today felt a bit like a milestone...a very early one. First I had to get down my four steps to go to my post-surgical appointment. I had a bit of an anxiety attack and finally sat on my butt and slid down. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get up because I have two replaced knees but my husband was able to pull me to my feet.

Then I made a dumb choice and sat in the front seat to go to my appt. Since it's 1/2 hour away and I couldn't get in a comfortable position, I was breaking down from discomfort in other parts of my body. Once we got there, my meds kicked in and I calmed down.

Then I had to get up on a table. I was amazed but the surgical assistant and my husband did an awesome job of supporting me. Off comes the behemoth splint. The P.A. had my lying down because she said some people get light headed at first sight. Out came the staples and, while that was happening, we had an extended conversation about how sensitive feet are. Having been through 2 total knees, I've come to the conclusion I'd rather do knees than feet! Really wasn't fond of the post-surgical pain though it was well controlled by the meds after I got home and started taking them on time round the clock.

Now I'm in the fiberglass cast, in lovely purple. It's more manageable. My surgeon's only real comments today were summed up in "ok, now you can hurry up and wait." Getting into the house involved my husband and a friend backing me up in the wheelchair. I am concerned about their backs!!

It hasn't been long enough to go too bonkers yet. At least I can look forward to a shower now, with my cast cover suggested by you all. But this "walking on one foot" is really hard on my knee. I'm trying to be careful with my "good foot."

Anyway, thanks for listening. You are so right about the mental strain of this. I think the range of emotions today was from complete terror at the steps to utter misery riding (rode in the back with my foot propped up coming home, to a bit of elation getting the dressing off that was at least the size of my 28 lb. dog's butt!

Til the next turn of events....Linda in South Dakota

Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
    shelleybutn
    (female)

Linda, glad you are doing well. the purple will cheer you up. isn't it amazing how much lighter it feels now?!? take care, keep busy.
    shelley

Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

Linda,
    I'm glad your appointment went well. I had stitches, not staples and had to take a xanax on the way because I was convinced it was going to hurt, but it didn't. I worry too much.
    stairs scare me. I was going to attempt mine this morning. I had one crutch and I was going to carefully hop down each one. my mom said "let me try first.. " she couldn't even do it.. so we used the wheelchair, she pushed me down the ramp. I hopped out, grabbed the walker that we'd already set there and hopped to the car.
    getting in and out of a car is a b*tch. we borrowed my Sister in law's SUV to come home from the hospital and for all my appointments, but today i felt up to riding in my own car, so i had my mom drive. getting out was a little difficult, but I managed.
    do you like to read? i spent ALOT of time reading for the first month. getting around was hard, i was bored, so i laid on my bed with my foot up and read at least 1 book a day. tv helps too, and you get all the new shows now. lol
    again, I'm glad your appt went well. keep us updated on how you're doing!
    ~Maryanne

Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

Maryanne,
    I've read about 3 books so far and am waiting for more in the series to arrive! We also updated our cable so I'm seeing a few more movies. Today someone stopped by that I could help out with some stuff on the computer and that was great! I almost felt useful! I got a fun thing for my car that I think I'm going to like...it's a swivel seat thing that makes it far easier to sit and turn. Not that I plan on going out anywhere for a while again. But I will eventually.
    Thanks again for the support!
    Linda

Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

Linda, the swivel seat is a great idea! I didn't have any problems turning.. my problem was getting my foot in the car without banging it on anything. I'm NOT graceful. LOL

and to answer your question from the other thread. open diary its lots of fun I've been writing there for years as Catlady. let me know if you join!

what are you reading? I'm always looking for new authors to try! and movies.. I love them! we had hbo, but I'd seen all the movies so decided to try cinemax for a change and I've watched alot of movies. my neighbor offered me dvd's from his collection but that requires getting up and putting a new one in every so often and its easier just to change the channel. I've gotten lazy. LOL

Old 09-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

Thanks. I'm going to check it out. We got the Starz and Encore package because it gives more movie channels. They are slightly older, after they've had their run on the other channels, but they have a good variety. For example a drama channel, comedy channel, westerns, etc. The books I've been reading are from the Elm Creek Quilt's books. I'm a new quilter and have really enjoyed the stories. Not sappy romance novels, just stories of womens lives. I've been feeling the same way about the DVD's...don't want to get up to change them. The last couple of days I've been gettin up more and sitting in the recliner. We added a thick foam cushion to make it taller for getting up, which helped.

Well, I'll let you know about the diary.
    Later, Linda

Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

Quilting keeps you busy too!! I add a pillow to whatever chair I sit in to make it easier to get up! I use the wheelchair instead of my computer chair cause i can lock it.. don't feel like getting up and having my chair roll away before I've grabbed the walker. that wouldn't be good. lol

Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

I want more info on the swivel thingie for the car. Where did you find it, what was the cost? Anything to make life easier please

Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #14
    scribytoo
    (female)

scribytoo HB User

It is called a Swivel Seat Cushion and I got mine from Allegro Medical but have seen it at many medical supplies online. I've seen it run from about $20 up. It's like a lazy susan cushion you put on your car seat. I've always gotten in and out by using my feet and not turning in the seat. So it really helps avoid the extra pressure on lowerback, knees, etc.

I'm finding myself getting into anything that makes life easier and less chance of injuring anything!

Linda

Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

Where is everyone?! its like we've all disappeared.. I'm doing good most of the time. other times the days just drag. it'll be 4 months on October 12th. I'm ready to be done with this. past ready.
    hope everyone else is doing okay =)

Closed Thread