It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Tailor's Bunion????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
    irvinbl97
    (female)

irvinbl97 HB User
    Question Tailor's Bunion????

Well, I went for my 2nd opinion on my outer foot pain. This doctor agreed that nothing showed up on the MRI, but he did show me the outline of a "bump" on the outside of my little toe. He said I have a bunion...actually he called it Taylor's Bunion.
    As a result of that, I no longer need to wear the boot (yes!!!!!). I now have a wedge/insert to wear inside my shoe. He said hopefully in a week, I will notice a difference. If not, I will have to have surgery. He said if surgery is done, he would have to break the toe, and fix it that way. He would do this, because my little toe is shaped differently than the others. He also said that there is a larger gap (on the x-ray) between my little toe and next toe. He would also fix that.
    I am really hoping that the wedge will work. If not, surgery would be the next step. I will continue to give updates as they come.
    **Wearing my normal walking shoe today REALLY hurts!!!! Is this normal???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
    Janesfoot
    Veteran
    (female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
    Re: Tailor's Bunion????

Tailor bunions are also know as bunionettes. Bunionette is a cute name for a painful problem. I had a bunionette for over twenty years. I didn't know it was a bunion, I thought it was just a "bump". Eventually I had pain in other parts of the foot. I went to my pcp who told me I had bunions and bunionettes on both feet. I went to a podiatrist and was told I would need surgery but it was my call when. A few months later I went on vacation and walked a lot. My foot basically blew out. It swelled up and I couldn't move my toes. I had surgery on the bunionette and bunion on my right foot. I had an osteotomy on either side, which meant the metarsal bone was cut and the bone repositioned and pinned. This was four months ago. The bunion side healed beauifully. The bunionette side still has pain intermittently. The bone takes longer to heal, but I'm not in the pre-surgery pain. Regular shoes will hurt. As your foot becomes more deformed, you begin to put more weight on part of the foot that is not built to hold it, which will cause pain.
    I hope the wedge helps. If not, look up posts under the term "bunionette". Good luck.

Closed Thread