It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneous 3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #16
    jmac47
    (male)

jmac47 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

I was very surprised to read about you weight bearing this early. From the very beginning, my doctor has told me at LEAST 12 weeks for this injury. I've read everything I could find, and I haven't found anything to contradict that. I've had several x-rays throughout this entire process, and my doctor always shows me every area that he feels hasn't healed sufficiently for weight bearing. After all you go through to get to this point, I sure wouldn't want to rush things and suffer a set-back. If I were you, I'd really listen to that pain. I know with PT and getting back to full use, we're all going to have to experience pain, but pushing too much can have the opposite affect than what you're trying to achieve. I'm sure getting the go ahead to walk was very exciting, but based on my doctor's opinion, everything I've read, and all the accounts of people on this site, you shouldn't be walking yet. I sure hope all goes well with you, and am not trying to be a downer. Just concerned for your well being. Best of luck to all.

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #17
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Hi Jim,

Thanks, no worries and not a downer with your opinion. I appreciate your concern and opinion.

Like I said I was blown away when he said go ahead and start putting weight on it, as much as I could bare. I too thought it was early but he told me do as I was told and things would be fine. Wrong.....My wife agrees with the doc wouldn't tell me to put weight on it unless he thought the foot was ready.

I am still going to visit my PT on Tuesday to get his perspective and see what PT entails, but I am off my foot until then. Only after I hear what he has to say will I make a decision.

As today wore on the pain seemed to get worse. I am listening to my foot and my common sense and backing off.

I am remaining positive. Thank you Ed

Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies!
    Jim:
    Good for you no more pic line, happy you make it through with your foot, I was really worried about you especialy when I first heard the infection news.
    Ed:
    I was afraid you would over do it, Maybe I should have said more to you than "be really carefull" glad your gonna take it slow & easy from now on, I'm a hugh baby when it comes to pain & a little shy about using my foot so I'll be really carefull on my walk date 10/8.
    Joe:
    I did the same thing as you yesterday with some heavey boxes except I used one foot, got a bad neck, back & headache last night from lifting, I did not have to do the lifting, I was just being stuborn & wanted if I could do it.
    I won't do that again for sure.
    Stew:
    How is it going with trying to get a good nighs sleep & walking?
    Pat:
    Glad your doing better, watch that concrete!
    Mark:
    Hope all is well
    TChair:
    I'm gonna catch you!

Keep on healing heelies!
    Carole

Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #19
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hey everyone,

Hope you all don't mind me giving progress or daily reports. I don't want to tie up too much space here.

I did over do it and have learned from it. However, I went to bed in some pain last night and woke with none. I have not adjusted the cast this am or touched where I was sore. Bath time I will look again... It's wierd that the pain subsided that much in 8 hours.

I still plan to lay off until PT on Tuesday.

I too am a big baby when it comes to pain, but I am thinking the pain is part of the recovery and we have to learn to deal with it.

We'll all get together when we're healed and have a road race? Any takers?

Good weekend everyone.
    Ed

Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Heelies,

Jim,
    glad to hear about your iv line. Like I said WB is scary and can be casue for concern. But I Agree with everyone let the pain and discomfort be your guide and make sure you let the doc. know how you feel.

Ed,
    I look forward to everyone reporting and if it's daily that's fine because we are making good progress but with that can come some over doing so we all have to be careful, and learn from each other.

Carole,

If you want to catch TChair, remember the story about the tortus and the hair, you know who wins and I want to see us all win. Plus I want to beat that Phils fan when we get together for the road race . Okay guys stay strong, positive and

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #21
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies,
    Ed:
    Don't worry about tying up space here, we want to know how your doing.
    It's great your foots feeling so much better!
    Joe:
    It's funny you mention the Turtle & the Rabbit because I was just joking with my boss & co-workers today about me & a fellow sales rep who is on crutches with a broken foot, he joked about racing with me last week, right away my co-worker told him that his money is on me.
    I told told co-workers he sales rep would be left in the dust if we raced & it would be a race between a Turtle & Rabbit.
    If I remember right the Turtle only wins because the Rabbit gets distracted right?

Keep Heelings Healies!
    Carole

Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Thanks Carole, Joe and Jim,

Yesterday I put no weight on my foot. It felt great with no pain all day. I accomplished quite a bit in the garage and my foot didn't complain once. My knee and hip did last night because I was standing a lot and held my foot off the ground all day.

I took my bath mid day and I didn't see any significant or abnormal swelling. My foot felt like it did Wednesday before I saw the doc.

Today the 3 spots that were sore Friday night are bugging me again. I plan to apply some pressure and walk on it today, as directed by my surgeon's nurse and see how it feels. I WILL be careful....Promise.

Yes, Carole, I think the rabbit stopped for a nap.

Tonight it's the last game ever in Yankees' Stadium. More history being made.

Jim, Now that the IV is gone when do you start walking?

Keep healing heelies,
    Ed

Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #23
    jmac47
    (male)

jmac47 HB User

Ed,

For the next 4 weeks, the doc is only letting put 30 to 40 pounds of pressure on the foot. Just wants me to work on getting my normal gate back. That's doing OK, but sure are a lot of little aches and pains in there. By the end of the day, I've got quite a bit of swelling. Said it'll probably be in November before he'll let me try full weight bearing. After 18 weeks, I sure don't want another set-back, so I guess I'll try to stay patient.

Jim

Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Jim,
    Glad to here your to the next step. Been thinking about you.
    Carol,
    Yes, still have trouble sleeping. The pain is like a dull ache, doesn't bother me much during the day but still is able to wake me up. Starting to think waking up is a habit from those first couple of weeks.
    Everyone,
    Even now, 4 weeks into weight bearing(i was allowed at the beginning of the 8th week) i still get pain and swelling. I start out the day without a limp but by the end, i am limping. At the beginning i thought i was setting myself back, but just like Ed, the next morning it would feel better then the previous morning. I can even pull on my pants without sitting down! Good stuff. Going to pt and doing exercises on one foot. Just started calf raises. Also, said before that i took 2 weeks to get off the crutches...it was actually 3. I started back to school on the 3rd week(elem. phys. ed teacher) and just to let the kids know to be careful around my foot, i used one crutch. In hindsight, that probably helped. Every day, i sit less and less. Like i see over and over in this post...be patient!
    take care,
    Stew

Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Carole,
    Not too bad a week this week, but I went shopping today for shoes, couldn't find any ---what's new??, fed up of trainers , a lady was outside the shop and said"Is that as painful as it looks?", I thought to myself, good thing she didn't see me 2 weeks ago!!.

Things are improving but very slowly but as heelies say, "1 step forward 2 steps back"
    keep healing heelies, we will all get there

Pat

Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #26
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies,
    It's great we'er all making progress!!!
    Pat:
    I had a hard time finding shoes before my injury, last weekend I found a pair of adidas that are really comfortable, I always buy white & blue shoes.
    The bottom of my crutch slipped on a fabric softener sheet today & sent me falling straight down, am glad I did not hurt my bad foot.
    My foots not been hurting much at all, I know that will change when it's time to start using it again 10/8.
    Stew:
    Dull ache does not sound to bad think I could stand that.
    It's great you teach elem. kids, bet it's a lot of fun, you get to play while working.
    Ed:
    Funny the Rabbit took a nap, I do that a lot.
    I have always been most like the Rabbit, but my recovery speed from this injury is more like the Turtle.

Best Regards,
    Keep Healing Heelies!
    Carole

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #27
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Stew,

are you still using the boot or are you wering a sneaker or shoe? With any luck I will be back to work on Thursday, I see the doc. Wednesday for okay. Little by little, it's a bit scary I don't want to go backwards.

Carole,

Be careful don't take anything for granted. My wife keeps telling me to watch where am going and to look down. I think the rabbit lost focus and therefore lost the race.

Well everybody stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe41 View Post
    Hey Stew,

are you still using the boot or are you wering a sneaker or shoe? With any luck I will be back to work on Thursday, I see the doc. Wednesday for okay. Little by little, it's a bit scary I don't want to go backwards.

Carole,

Be careful don't take anything for granted. My wife keeps telling me to watch where am going and to look down. I think the rabbit lost focus and therefore lost the race.

Well everybody stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe
    Hi Joe,
    Funny thing is that the PT keeps telling me to look up not at floor but it is difficult not to be worried about what you may fall on.

Carole,
    Sorry to hear about your fall, take care. I bought 3 pairs of trainers today, hopefully I won't have to return any to the shop, but fingers still crossed, not a bad day again today

Keep healing Heelies

Pat

Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #29
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Pat,

What exactly is the PT you are getting? My doc. isn't big on it. Tell me about these trainers you are talking about. Are they like sneakers? Are you in shoes or are you using a boot? Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #30
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Joe,
    I have been wearing sneakers for 2 weeks now. I bought a size bigger. I think it will be awhile until i am in my old size.
    Everyone,
    Saw something interesting on the local medical news this morning. They did a piece on a guy who fell and crushed his heel 6 years ago. He was in constant pain. Finally went to a neurologist and she implanted an electrical device in his hip to block the pain signals. He said he can finally get back to a normal life. Hopefully, no one needs that but the info can't hurt.
    Carol,
    As my son once said, "Dad, you don't have a real job, you get to boss kids around and play any games you want all day!"
    take care
    Stew

Closed Thread