It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneous 3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Hello Heelies,
    Joe:
    It must be exciting to be meeting your back to work goal.
    I was looking down but the white fabric softener sheet blended in with the white floor.
    I do need to stay focused & not get distracted like the Rabbit.
    Pat:
    Great news, good shoes & a good day!
    Stew:
    So it's true you do have a fun job.
    Ed:
    Hope today was even better than yesterday.

Keep Healing Heelies!
    Carole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #32
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe41 View Post
    Hey Pat,

What exactly is the PT you are getting? My doc. isn't big on it. Tell me about these trainers you are talking about. Are they like sneakers? Are you in shoes or are you using a boot? Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe
    Hi Joe,
    Yes my trainers are like sneakers ( different names in UK) but they have padding at heel so are very cushioned they are Reeboks and the most comfortable I have tried.
    No I have never had a boot just a hard cast for 3 months so quite difficult to FWB once cast was off.
    I think everyone needs PT as it does work. They started me off with a Theraband ( rubber band made out of balloon like material), this was for ROM and I had to hold it in around my foot and pull my foot back as far as possible, then forward as far as possible and then pull foot fo right side then left side. The Pt was amazed when I went back a week later that my foot bones had really got themselves together so well, my ROM is very good and I still use theraband to keep it that way.
    My biggest problem now is the main tendon running on outside of foot ( remember too that I refused surgery so am probably taking longer than many).
    I now have mainly stretching exercises and they are helping but the best thing I had was hydrotherapy as it gets you walking again without WB. The problem here in UK is that we only get 1 session a week ,if that ,but I am at the point now where I can do the exercises myself at home and just go to PT for them to check that I am improving.

Things are improving thanks to everyone who helps including these boards

Keep healing

Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #33
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Healies,

Thanks for the response to my questions.

Stew,

I think that's wonderful that you are in sneakers. How is it to walk, can you take a normal step or do you have to favor that foot. Are you wrapping your foot? I'll look at snaekers today. Am thinking maybe high tops for more support, will see. I have to try to give up the boot because it won't let me take a normal step and I think it will wear me out after 8 hours at work.

Pat,

I am glad to hear your improving. I will ask my doc. again about theropy. I have a theraband and will try what you said.

Carole,

Yeah, am excited and also anxious because my job depends on it.

Hey Everybody, stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #34
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Hi all,

Somehow my email didn't inform me of the last two pages of posts. I just caught up.

Stew - sneakers already? That's great news even if they are a size bigger. You are making great progress and I am jealous.

Carole....Ouch...I'm sorry about the fall. I hope you are OK. Keep your eye on the turtle, not the rabbit. LOL Good news, 15 days until Oct 8. Yeah!!

Joe, push for PT. read on and confront the doc. Please....

I started walking on my foot again Sunday and Monday. I didn't put but 15-25 lbs of pressure on it. (bathroom scale) End of each day, my achilles was tight and sore. I could feel the blood pool in my foot but not a lot of swelling.

My 1st PT appt was today. More to measure my ROM before I start 100% on a program and to educate for what is to come. 1st and foremost I need to loosen the achilles with a towel stretch. He said he didn't like rubber bands because of too much flex. I will be using a towel so I can hold the stretch then relax it and repeat 15 times.

He gave me exercises with my toes to gain ROM. Writing the Alphabet with my toes not moving my knee, just my ankle. Up and down movements and side to side w/out using my leg.

Lying down on my back, raising my leg straight up, using my foot only pull my toes towards my face, then extend my toes and lower my leg back again. Doing this also stretches the hamstring and the calf.

Grabbing a towel with my toes trying to squeeze it. Not ready for a tennis ball. reason? ..there a 4 layers of muscles between your heel and toes. In a cast for 8 weeks weakens them and it takes time to strengthen them again for walking and climbing.

Normal leg extensions and leg lifts to build the thigh and hip flexors.

MY PT has attended seminars with my surgeon. He told me he can always be more aggressive with his patients because of how thorough my surgeon is. In his opinion, he is the one of the best in the Northeast. I am one of the few patients he's seen who is allowed to do PT and WB w/out the boot.

His credentials? Working with many of my surgeon's patients during the past 9 years.

He agrees with the doc and wants me off the crutches ASAP, but he also instructed me how to do so properly and deliberately and when I feel I am ready.

Am I scared? Hell yes.....but I left with a much better confidence and am ready to forge ahead. He told me to listen to my pain and my body. If it's too much, back off, just like the nurse told me last Friday.

There will be an adjustment period for things to adjust to WB. It is going to hurt but it's a good hurt.

I walked away with one big concern. He told me I won't be able to climb stairs w/out the boot for another 2-3 months. I have to climb stairs for work, so this gives me incentive to get back to work sooner. Not to worry tho....I will lnch forward and re-evaluate and try not to ahve set backs.

I go back on Friday for my 1st full PT session. I know it will hurt, but it's necessary.

I will let everyone know how I do. If you have any questions....I will answer any and all. If my answers can help you too? Then ask away.

Keep healing heelies,
    Ed

Old 09-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #35
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies,
    Ed,
    Thanks for the details on physical therapy, now it won't be a complete mystery when I start it soon after 10/8.
    Since my Dr. lets me wiggle my toes I think it's okay for me to do the grabbing towel with toes exercise, but tell me do you grab towel between big toe & other toes or grab it between toes & ball of foot?
    Heelies,
    I found out heelies are what the kids call those shoes with retractable wheels, just looking at those shoes gives me the heebee geebees.

Keep on Healing Heelies,
    Carole

Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #36
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Ed,

thanks for the update. I tried sneakers today. I bought a pair of Rebok basket ball. they are the closes thing to high tops I could find. They also have a velcro strap for closuer at the top, gives me more ankel support. Had some swelling but not as much as I expected.
    I go to the doc. tomorrow and will press for PT. I'll let you know how it goes. Till then stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #37
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Joe and Carole,

Having Nephews and kids, they went thru the heelies phase you are referring to, however, those days are gone and the only heelies I know are you and I.

Joe, A lot of the exercises help range of motion but also helps build the muscles back up. I'd be happy to fax or send you copies of them if your doc gives you a hard time and you can attempt them on your own and of course I am here to help you do them properly as well as tell you what to expect.

Carole, the picture I have shows grabbing the towel or end of a small pillow between the toes and balls of your feet not just the big toe.

I am still a ways away from sneakers, but I'll keep those Reeboks in mind. Another guy I know had a stress fracture in his heal, he can only wear work boots now for support when he is on his feet all day..he says sneakers really hurt.

Stay positive and ask away as needed.

Ed

Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #38
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Ed,
    I tried to grab a sock & could not do it, so I have something to work on.
    First I thought this is impossible but noticed my good foot can do it.

Thank you,
    Keep on Healing Heelies!
    Carole

Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #39
    changed name
    Inactive
    (male)

changed name HB User

Well it seems I have fallen into your group here. I couldn't resist the bad pun.
    A little background about my journey here, fell off ladder dropping approx. 4-5 feet on to concrete driveway in house shoes on 9/4, splinted in ER and sent home to see doc the following monday. When they took splint off i got my first view of a fracture blister about 4 inches x 2 inches on the outside of my foot. X-rays and CT showed 3 pieces so resplint and see you in a week. 9/15 blister still there, was drained this time, and should have surgery today. Since I'm writing this now you might correctly guess that didn't happen. They got me knocked out with the drugs into the operating room and peeled the layer off the blister only to find out it wasn't healing as much as hoped and doc didn't want to risk infection. Sent me home with Silvadene cream to put on the blister area and see how it looks thursday. He said and I've read the surgery window is only 3 weeks or so, which means i'm looking for some encouraging new from folks that might have gone this far from injury to surgery.

Thanks for listening to my rambling
    Billy

Old 09-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #40
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Billy,
    You may need to wait a little longer for surgery but the good news is you only have 3 breaks in your heel.
    Use the time to prepare for surgery, research, eat healthy, stop smoking ect.
    What do they have in mind surgery wise, I had a bonegraft, plate & 6 screws.
    I fell backwards off a fence from 5 feet onto cement 6/11, my heel shattered into 100's of pieces.
    Had to wait 3 weeks for surgery on 7/3, swelling had to go down.
    My Dr. put that cream on my foot after removeing dead skin last week it worked really well, Dr. said it was like magic.
    I fell down a lot in the 3 weeks while waiting for surgery so be carefull.
    Hope that blister heals up quick heelie so they can fix you up.
    Take Care!
    Carole

Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #41
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Billy,

I'm sorry you fell into out little group but you couldn't pick a better support and information group. We all at various stages of our recovery and we will all be happy to share our experiences, good and bad.

I trust you have gone thru the many threads on this sight reading the stories, treatments, etc....if not that would be my suggestion while waiting for surgery so you know the possibilities for success.

As good as good news gets, 3 pieces is the way to go. Less bone to regrow. I have 6-7 pieces and like Carole mentioned, a lot more than that.

I did not have a blister, but I know Carole did, she stated the Silvadene cream helped her a lot.

I had a very good surgeon. He told me it didn't matter to him when he did the surgery, 2 weeks or 4 after the injury, the important thing was the swelling. He was very specific about that, so the window your doc is talking about isn't as crtical as one might think. They can rebreak it then put your heel back together during surgery.

If it's available, ask for a leg block before surgery. It minimizes pain and the amount of general anesthsia needed during surgery.

My onlt other suggestion is, listen the doc and follow his instructions. You will recover faster that way with few set backs.

Carole, good to try picking up a sock, try something with a little more substance, like a towel. It's easier to wrap yout toes around a towel than a sock. Start big and work down.

Keep on healing heelies and Billy, ask away, we're here to help you get thru this difficult time.

Ed

Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #42
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Hello all,
    Joe,
    About those shoes. I choose low top sneakers to wear because i had so much swelling and with them, it had a place to go. Do you have to stand at work?
    Ed,
    I can go up stairs without any problem. Going up, i look normal, coming down, I have to go sideways or one step at a time.
    All,
    I also am a firm believer in pt. Another good exercise for nwb is the rocker board. Just take a book or board and place it on something(i used a small 1b dumbell) and rock your foot front to back. Then fold a towell and put under the book and rock side to side. For wb, calf stretches seem to loosen the foot up. 10 times for 10 sec with both heels on the ground. Then do them with your knee bent. Even though i am at the point of standing on just my injured foot and exercising i still use a thearaband. Just seems to loosen every thing up.
    take care,
    Stew

Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #43
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

ps
    Don't get frustrated if you can not scrunch a towell with your toes. I can do just about everthing(except run and hop) but I still can not scrunch my toes!
    Stew

Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #44
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Billy,

hang in there, I had to wait a week before surgery due to swelling. I was told to elevate and ice down to reduce the swelling, which helped a lot. Wish you the best.

Stew,

yes I have to walk a lot at work, but I can sit and chat with the guests. I went to the doc. today. He is happy with my progress and has me going to therapy monday. He says to keep on with the sneakers as I can bear it. I go back in 4 weeks for a check up. He gave me a prescription for Celabrix to reduce the swelling which he says will happen due to returning to work. I expect it. Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #45
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies,
    My toes are short so it's extra hard to grab anything with them, that's why I'm using a sock.
    I can scrunch them but not like with my good foot.
    So will work on that in my spare time, got a lot of that nowadays.

Keep on healing heelies!
    Carole

Closed Thread