It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneous 3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #76
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Hello Sbrew:
    Sorry to hear about your accident.
    Ed hit the nail on the head. I crashed my ATV and everyday I think about how I could have prevented it but that has also morphed into how I'm going to live with it. I had 10 screws and a plate (internal) put in on July 31st, the accident happened on July 18th. Ed and I had surgery on the same day yet I am still non weight bearing. Heal time vary from person to person and break to break. Just try to prove the doctor wrong

Carole: Good luck tomorrow!
    I find out if I can walk tomorrow also!

Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #77
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies,
    Ed:
    Hope your ballon has gone down by now, take it easy.
    Will see my Dr. at 3:00 tomarrow.
    I'm excited about being able to walk, it's been a long 16 weeks.
    I'll be sure & not overdo it, will let you know what happens.
    Thank you for thinking of me.
    Jason:
    Best of luck in the walking department tomarrow.

Keep Healing Heelies!
    Carole

Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #78
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Hi Jason and Carole,

I wanted you to know I am thinking about you two today. Good luck and I hope you see the results you are looking for. Please let me know how it goes. I am sorry Jason, I knew there was one other person besides Carole today, I just didn't remember your name and didn't have time to go back thru the posts yesterday. What time is your appt?

Good luck,
    Ed

Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #79
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

Thanks Carole and thanks Ed.
    The appointment went really well. The doc said that I have to keep the boot on for the next month but I can put 50% of my weight on my foot for two weeks then after two weeks he said I can ditch the crutches and walk 100% without them.
    Now for the interesting part:
    I asked about PT and he focused on my foot asking me what my range of motion was. He said by looking at my range of motion he didn't see it necessary to start PT yet. He went on to say that unless I could put 100% of my weight on my bad foot he didn't see a need for PT. He did say to keep up with the leg exercises and to not overdue it.
    It's kind of interesting how Dr's opinions can vary so much on PT.
    Carole I hope everything went well today!

Jason

Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #80
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Heelies,
    I'm walking bearing 100% of my weight, small steps, my foot & leg is very stiff.
    The boot is awkward, need it for 3 more weeks, after that an ankle brace.
    My foots a little sore will put on some Oxi Cell cream made with Arnica a natural pain killer.
    Ed:
    Please keep letting me know what your physical therapist has you doing, I'm on my own unless I find a PT who will take my limited insurance.
    Will write the alpha bit with foot, do up & down + side to side range of motion exercises.
    Jason:
    Good for you 50% down & 50% to go, glad it went well for you today!
    Good luck with range of motion improvement.
    TChair:
    What do you think?

Keep on healing heelies!
    Carole

Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #81
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Talking Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Congratulations Jason and Carole,

Wow, what an achievement for both of you. You can't imagine how happy I am to hear the news.

Jason, it is interesting how different docs tell us different information. I agree that PT is more for ROM than it is about building strength in the muscles that are weak. I think they go hand in hand.

I can see his side why he wants full WB before PT. My doc wants both together so they adapt together.

Carole, I will continue to share my PT with you. I wish you had full benefit of PT. It's done wonders for my ROM. I would also be happy to speak on the phone with either one of you if you would like.

I want you to have the same progress that I have had.

Again Congrats to both. There is still a ways to go, don't push it and if you do don't be afraid to back off and rest a little as I did today.

Stay positive and keep healing heelies,
    Ed

Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #82
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Ed,
    Thank you for your kind words & very detailed physical Therapy descriptions.
    When the Dr. moved my foot around it did not hurt at all (boy was I glad)
    X-rays looked fine, funny thought I had 6 screws all this time but it's 9.
    I'm going to review your PT descriptions & get a daily routine started.
    Bet I remind you of the little kids you teach & coach.
    Your welcome to call me on my cell phone 650-759-2581.

Keep Healing Heelie!

Thank you,
    Carole

Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #83
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Hi Carole,

Little kid? Nah..... just someone who needs a little help is all. I'm glad to do it.

I'll call you tomorrow in the afternoon. I will also gather my notes and save them to review with you.

I'm glad it didn't hurt when he moved your foot. Funny thing, I thought I had 8 screws, I have 11.....

Jason, the same offer extends to you if you want to talk, I'd be happy to. I wish I was working, as my company has 2 trips to Napa at the end of the month. We could meet face to face if I could work.

Ed

Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #84
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

That's great Carole! Congratulations!
    Thanks for the offer Ed, when I get closer to the 100% weight bearing I'll look you up. At this point I'm just trying to be gentle with it ant try to get some of my two legged balance back.
    I thought I had 9 screws, turns out I had 10.
    Ed when you do start working and you make it out to Napa, look me up maybe we can have a race.
    Jason

Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #85
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Ed & Jason,
    Napa's only about 30 miles away from me, it would be nice meeting you both.
    We have 3 good feet between us HA HA.

Okay look forward to hearing from you!

Carole

Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #86
    Tripod123
    (male)

Tripod123 HB User

Hello Friends. I found your posts a month ago. Reading and re-reading posts has become a part of my nighttime routine as sleep is often difficult. Everyone's sharing of info has been a great source of comfort to me.

I am a month or more behind most of you. I am 6'2'' 195 lbs 51 years old. Fell off roof on 8/23/08 and fractured left calcaneous into numerous pieces. In the emergency room the doc said I broke my "calcaneous." I said "That's a relief, I thought you were gonna tell me I broke my ankle!" Anyway . . .

Surgery on 9/8. Plate with 4 or 5 screws. Doc has done many of these and says he was able to get a proper alignment. One blessing is that he was able to get away with a smaller incision than his usual "L" filet. Instead, I have only a 2-3 inch incision under the outside of the ankle. Jumbo plaster cast removed on 9/23, and replaced with a black boot with velcro straps, similar to what others have described. Next appointment is 11/4, at which time I supposedly am to be cleared to start weight bearing.

I am following doc's instructions to take the boot off every two hours or so and do ROM like you have described -- up and down, circles with toes, and alphabet. I am finding that the side to side is getting a little better, though very stiff most of the time.

I have some questions. I hate "sleeping" in this boot, but nurse said I need to keep it on except for ROM exercises and showers. She said something about healing in the neutral position. I would think that the bones are probable set after 4 weeks (I realize not enough for WB) but who knows. Does anyone know how long they make you sleep in the boot?

I also continue to have pain which varies a lot in intensity and location. Perhaps ironically, my heel is about the only spot that NEVER hurts. Instead, I often have pain on the fleshy pad where my toes connect to my foot. The swelling seems to concentrate there too. Do others have this?

The pain is a constant, though not as intense as it was, and mostly is a function of foot positioning. When you start WB, does that help with the pressure, or do you have to start all over again?

I really look forward to not having the pain. I am managing it during the day with Motrin, but still take two Vicodin tablets at bedtime, though the Vicodin certainly doesn't carry the punch it did in the beginning. I probably will eliminate that soon. Is it normal to be taking Vicodin at 4 weeks post-op?

I am very encouraged by and excited for those who recently started WB. Is there a consensus on how long it takes to go from beginning WB to walking without crutches and then without any aids?

My toes are not too swollen anymore, and I can see veins on the top of my foot again, but the ankle remains swollen, as is the area around the achilles tendon. Does this go down any time soon?

A final question for now. Is it normal for the skin all over my foot to be sooo sensitive to touch? When does that go away?

As an aside, I am really glad the dead skin finally is gone.

I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to write and share your experiences and kind words of encouragement. As you know, and even with a supportive spouse/family, this is a very lonely and trying process. Your efforts have made a huge difference for me, and I suspect, quite a few others.

Phil

Closed Thread