HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Fractured Calcaneous 3 (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/634662-fractured-calcaneous-3-a.html)

joe41 09-16-2008 04:50 PM

Fractured Calcaneous 3

Time to start a new Thread so am starting it.

Joe41 :jester:

The J 09-16-2008 05:45 PM

Re: Fractured Calcaneous 3

Hi Sarah,
Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. Like everyone has said, elevation is key, uncomfortable at times but definitely necessary. What worked best for me was lying in the Lazy Boy with two pillows under my foot with my toes pointed towards the sky or with my toes pointing horizontally away from me. When the pain got too much resting the weight on my heel I moved a pillow to my lower calf and used it to keep the weight off the foot.
As a side note, who here had the calcaneus fused to surrounding bones or did your doctors just reassemble without fusing?
Carole, thanks for the tips about the watch out situations. Two of my three hard falls have been on stairs, before having any intoxicating beverages. After them I was just fine:D
Good luck everyone.
Jason

Hyper86 09-16-2008 08:48 PM

Hello Jason,
I have been really good about not having any intoxicating substances for the last 3 months.
Except 2 weeks ago I decided to try my friends volcano, well after that I could not get out of the chair for at least an hour :jester:
I'm not gonna do that again HA HA.

Keep up the good healing heelies,
Carole

joe41 09-17-2008 07:45 AM

Hey Jason,

I will have to ask the Doc. if using bone past qualifies as fusing. He did tell me he used bone past, I figured it was to help keep all the small bone chips together. I'll check on my next visit.

It's good to hear everyone is making Progress although at different speed it's positive. Remember stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies :jester:

Joe

triguy450 09-17-2008 12:48 PM

Hello heelies,

Yes, watch the steps after having a couple. Knock wood I have been OK with that. I usually have a beer before I head up to bed.

The Doctor blew me away today. The first thing he did after shaking my hand was grab my foot with the right hand and the heel with the left and tried to move the heel around. Before I could react he was done and I felt no pain. He moved my foot around, side to side, up and down and again very little discomfort.

My instructions, besides PT is to be off the crutches within 5-6 days. That means to teach myself to walk with the boot on. Wow....I was expecting weeks for this to happen.

While I am sitting around for an hour or more I am to take the boot off and air it out and move my foot around. There was no mention of keeping the foot elevated.

I start PT next Tuesday unless an opening occurs sooner.

The Doc will see me again in 6 weeks for more Xrays and a follow up.

As my wife says, he's given me carte blanche to do as I can and put as much weight on it as I can as soon as I can. I was not expecting this today.

I will tell you how I make out over the next couple of days. I also plan to start driving with my left foot this weekend too.

I wish everyone could have this great news too.

Keep positive and keep healing heelies,
Ed

loghome1 09-17-2008 05:08 PM

Ed,
That is great news! Don't rush it though. I took a few days with the crutches and weight bearing then went to one crutch and then a cane. Probably took about 2 weeks. You will probably get a lot of swelling in the calf(mine actually was bigger than the noninjured side), so you will have to continue to elevate. Good Luck.
take care all,
Stew

triguy450 09-17-2008 05:17 PM

Hi Stew,

Thank you for that. After I posted this afternoon I started walking on it as much as possible. I now realize it's going to be slow. My knee hurts, my calf hurts and my thigh hurts from the different new pressures.

I also experimented with what I will need to do mentally and physically to get on one crutch. I know it's a few days away, but visualizing my help me when it comes time to.

I also found it difficult to walk in the boot without strain on the achilles tendon. I know it's tight and needs to be stretched over time...PT exercises.

It still feels like this incision inside is still coming apart at times. I'm hoping it's just the nerves readjusting themselves.

Keep healing heelies.
Ed

Hyper86 09-17-2008 06:49 PM

Hello Heelies,
Ed: good going, could you remind me how many weeks ago was your surgery?
I popped in to see my Dr. this morning & asked him to take a quick peek at my foot to see if anymore antibiotic is needed.
He put pressure around the wound & said no more antibiotic is needed but he needs to remove some dead skin & took out a razor knife, I thought uh oh then said will it hurt, he said define hurt, I said me saying ouch, he said probly not, it did not hurt, he then put on some special cream & a bandage.
He said I could pretend to walk, let my leg & foot go through the motions with but not put any weight on it.
He says I'll start walking 10/8 with boot on & start physical therapy oh boy.
By the way he said to continue keeping my foot elevated.
It's been 10 weeks since my surgery, 13 weeks since my injury.

Keep on healing healies!
Carole

triguy450 09-17-2008 07:15 PM

Hi Carole,

Surgery was 7/31 making it 7 weeks tomorrow. Injury was 7/19.

I forgot to mention, he told me to leave the boot off when I go to bed. I'll let you know how that feels tomorrow. LOL

Til tomorrow.
Ed

The J 09-17-2008 08:02 PM

Wow Ed, that's great.
I can't help but say I'm a bit jealous. :) I had surgery on 7/31 also, injured on 7/18.
I don't know about you but I would be a bit concerned not having the boot on while sleeping. I tend to move quite a bit in my sleep and would be worried about re-injuring it. Ed, good luck with walking and definitely keep us informed!
Carole:
I found that exposing the wound to the sun for a little bit every day helped with the healing and soon after the scabs started sloughing off. I am down to two small scabs, one the size of a dime on my heel where the doc put the longest screw and a spot about an inch long on the L shaped incision.
Good luck everyone.

Jason

Hyper86 09-17-2008 09:02 PM

Hello Heelies,
Jason:
Wow a picture is worth a 1000 words.
That is a really big screw, I have 6 smaller screws, my foots small size 61/2 shoe.
I will try sunshine on my foot each day from now on, got just 1 place on the incission not healed up it's the size of a pea now.
Ed:
Gosh your walking after only 7 weeks thats really great, be really carefull.
My Dr. is making me wait 13 weeks to walk, maybe because my heel broke into 100's of pieces so many the girls in the Dr.'s office could not count them?
I don't sleep with my boot on, it's just to bulky & hot.
Joe:
Is your Dr. going to remove the dead skin from your foot too.
How is walking feeling got any pain.

Happy Heel Healing!
Carole

triguy450 09-18-2008 05:42 AM

Hi Jason & Carole,

I knew when I went yesterday he was going to recommend PT. Up until then he mentioned putting 10% of my weight on the foot during PT and getting used to that then building up from there. But he blew me away when he told me to put as much as I could stand (no pun) on it.

During the Xrays, the tech had me stand up and place my bare foot on the Xray film and even she told me (6 1/2 weeks post) put as much weight as I can on it. So I did and was surprised at how much I was able to w/out pain.

I mentioned earlier, the doc came in grabbed my foot, squeezed my heel and the front of my foot and twisted it as tho he was trying to re-break it. My wife said I didn't flinch. There was no pain at all. There was some minor discomfort at the inside of the heel later, but that went away. If you saw what he did with his hand, you'd be a believer too and that it's OK to start walking on it again. Believe me, I was very scheptical.

Jason, I had your thoughts not sleeping with the boot on, but was pleasantly surprised and slept well last night. I move often too, but each time I moved, I was conscious of how to move my foot to get comfortable again.

I was also concerned about my foot relaxing too much to allow the achilles tendon to tighten up. Again, very surprised at how easy it was to put my boot on again this morning.

I am surprised your incision isn't healed yet, but again, mine only closed up 100% last week and the doctor was pleased with it yesterday.

Carole, I have a similar size screw too, it goes from the upper part on the back of the heel, angling down towards the instep. If were to guess it's and inch and a half long but the head isn't real big. I recounted them and found 11 not 8 screws total.

If you have that many pieces broken, I can see why your doctor is so concerned about walking again.

It feels strange to walk. The boot puts pressure on the achilles tendon. That is the major discomfort while walking. I am still using the crutches and not putting a lot of weight on the foot yet.

Make sure you pump the air up as much as you can stand. My foot moves up and down in the boot as I walk and rubs the incision irritating it. I will ask more specific questions when I go to PT and will keep you informed.

Carole & Jason 10/8 will be here faster than you know it and your whole demeanor will change knowing you can put pressure on your foot. My outlook from yesterday morning to today is 180 degrees more positive.

I spoke with a friend yesterday who reminded me he broke his heel 5 years ago. (non-surgical) He said 12-14 months before he felt 100%. He is my age (46, slim, athletic and diabetic) and built like me. We'll all get there.

Keep positive and keep healing heelies.

Ed

joe41 09-18-2008 08:39 AM

Hey Carole,

no my doc. said it was a good cover for the wound, go figure. Walking with out the boot is wonderful, scary and their is some discomfort because things have to stretch and I guess muscles have to build up again but I would not say lasting pain.

That being said, I did a stupid thing yesterday. Went shopping, I'ave been on the cane and walking with out since 9/12 so am feeling confident. So I decide to unload a fairly heavy box and put to much weight on the foot even though I had my boot on I felt some pain. My foot is now swollen some what so I'll take it easy for the next few days.

Ed,

that is great news. I agree with Stew about going slow. As you can see from above.

Ed, when I went for my cane training the theropist told me to walk like I would normally and not put my foot out to the side because it would cause knee and hip problems. It takes a bit but when you concentrate you can do it. Especailly when you WB without the boot. It sure is good to hear everyone is making progress, but we must remember to follow the doc's instructions and don't over do which is a lesson I learned yesterday.

Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies :jester:

Joe

jmac47 09-19-2008 08:58 AM

Had my Doctor's appointment yesterday. The great news is that I'm infection free and got my picc line out and am off the IV antibiotics. No more home-bound status for me. Told my wife I got my house arrest ankle braclet off. Got to go to my daughter's high school softball game for the first time this season, and it was great. As for the foot, seems to be doing OK. I'm 7 weeks out from my 2nd surgery today, and 15 weeks from the 1st. He wants me to start working on my gate, but is only letting me put 30 to 40 pounds of pressure on it for another month. Sure was hoping for more, but it's progress, so I'll take it. I go back on 10/16, and hope for more weight bearing then. Sure will be glad to get rid of these walking sticks. Been on them since 18 May now. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Jim

triguy450 09-19-2008 09:29 AM

Hi Jim,

Great news. I am really happy for you...now it's all hard work and progress.

I had a little set back yesterday. I am a little angry with the doc especially after speaking to his nurse today and the information she gave me.

I mentioned the doc told me to put as much weight as I could using the crutches and start walking on the foot. He also told me to be crutch free in 5-6 days. Today I am paying for that.

I had some discomfort after the doc wrenched my heel on Wednesday. I told him about it and he dismissed it as a tendon or ligament issue. The pain is on the inside of the heel right where the fracture is from back to front on the heel bone. According to the Xrays it's also where one of the screws was placed.

I don't think that part of the fratcure has healed enough for any amount of weight yet.

The nurse told me they use 7-8 weeks as an average bto gauge when we start walking again. In the same breath she told me everyone heals differently. Some take less, some take more.

Her advice is, back off from any weight today and try again tomorrow. I think I am just going to wait to see the PT on Tuesday and get their feelings.

It's funny, this is same spot I have had discomfort, since surgery.

Just an FYI, I used a bathroom scale to gauge the weight I was applying. The most I put on my foot was 50 pounds without discomfort. I average about 15 to 25 when I walk with the crutches. So no, I did not put 100% of my body weight on my foot.

Jason and Carole, listen to Stew, no matter what the doc says, listen to your foot and pain level and take it slow and steady.

Great weekend everyone.

Ed