It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Walking on foot with nonunion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User
    Walking on foot with nonunion

I had surgery on my first metatarsal due to a giant cell tumor. I need a bone graft using bone from my hip, I have a metal plate and 8 screws. 2 surgeries resulted in nonunion but my Dr is saying I can walk on my foot even though it has not unionized. He said there is a chance that the plate can break or the screws can come loose....I am so scraed. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
    andrea121
    (female)

andrea121 HB User
    Re: Walking on foot with nonunion

I am sorry, I have not heard of that in particular, but i do have a non-union from reconstructive sugery (for flat feet). I had cadaver bones used in my foot, (in my calcaneous). I walk on my foot even though its a non-union. MY doctor told me no running, but walking was ok. Thats a good thing for me becuase otherwise i would have been on crutches for three years now. After the first surgery of mine resulted in a non-union I had to have the surgery repeated last summer, and guess what? IT didnt work either. Anyway back to you.
    Has your doctor said anything about using a bone stimulator? There are two different kinds, but they are supposed to work equally well. They help to stimulate bone cells to grow when there is a non-union.

That is scary about the plates breaking, i would be afraid to walk also. I have a plate and some screws in my foot, my doctor said they arent going anywhere so I am less nervous about that. I, like you just want my bones to heal.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User

I used the bone stimulator after both surgeries and it hasn't done the job, unfortunately.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
    Hankster13
    (female)

Hankster13 HB User

I am eight months post-op for a fractured navicular, and also have non-union. I am walking on it, and doing as much activity as possible. The surgeon said, i cant do any more harm, but no heavy impact stuff. So i push the envelope, and back off when i make myself too sore. I do a lot of weight training, use the non-impact cardio machines at the gym, walk as much as possible, and try to do karate at least once a week. That last one always makes me sore, but after being on crutches for 5 months, i refuse to sit on my ***. I have two screws in there, so i know the fracture is stable. Frankly, i think life is too short to worry about making it worse. I know that i will need another surgery in the future, so in the mean time i am doing what i can. I definalty find that the more normal stuff you can do physically, the better you will feel mentally.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
    LtFoot10
    (female)

LtFoot10 HB User

Thank you for that info. I have been riding a stationary bike and walking as much as I can. My ankle actually hurts more than my foot.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
    Hankster13
    (female)

Hankster13 HB User

I can relate to the ankle pain. I get an interesting variety of pains and discomforts. One i have decided is tendinitis-like pain on the top of my foot and radiating up my shin a bit. I get this one whenever i over do it and get sore and then walk on the outside of my foot, which relives the pain over the bone a bit.... its kinda a vicious circle. I let pain be my guide to my activity level (that is if my husband dosn't intervene first and encourage (read nag) me to slow it down a bit.

Closed Thread