It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Hammertoe After Bunion Surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
    Stormie66
    (female)

Stormie66 HB User
    Hammertoe After Bunion Surgery?

I'm 7 weeks post op bunion surgery. I just had my exterior pin removed at 6 wks. and still have a dissolvable pin in place. I noticed after the ex pin removal, my big toe points towards the ground. Now, my 2nd and 3rd toe are starting to lift like in a hammertoe. Is it possible that my bunion surgery could have caused me to form hammertoes, or is it because I'm unconsiously trying to hold my big toe up?( I've caught myself doing that) Has anyone experinced this, if so what did you do for it. Thanks for any advice.

Stormie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    Re: Hammertoe After Bunion Surgery?

that happened to my husband after his bunion surgery. He pointed it out (no pun intended to the surgeon) who said if he had seen that he would have taken care of it during the surgery. Well, hubby didn't have the problem prior to surgery. It has been a couple of years and now he has other foot problems so if he has to have surgery, maybe it will be corrected (by a different dr)

Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
    RightFootMary
    (female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Stormie - I just had my second Lapidus bunionectomy 10/8 (the other one was 2 years ago) and both times my pod automatically did surgery on the second toe at the time of the bunionectomy (shortened it) because he said the surgery would make the great toe shorter and he wanted to avoid a hammertoe situation so he did it at the same time.

The first time he didn't do an Aiken on the great toe (bone wedge with pins to straighten the great toe) so the great toe isn't as straight as it should be so at some point he would like to "tweek" that toe. This time he did a bone wedge in the great toe and pinned it so hopefully it will turn out straighter. Time will tell.

Good luck to your husband. Hope all goes well.

Mary in NY

Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
    Stormie66
    (female)

Stormie66 HB User

Hello Ladies,

Just went to my pod today, she keeps telling me with pt that my toes will straighten out, she says it's from the swelling, but, my foots not that swelled, I start pt thursday, so hopefully something will change, I have to have my other foot operated on early next year, thats gonna be bad enough, I pray that I don't have to have hammertoe surgery on top of it.
    Thanks for you answers, I'll let you know what the pt says.

Stormie

Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
    quiltvirgin
    (female)

quiltvirgin HB User
    Question Re: Hammertoe After Bunion Surgery?

My bunnion hammertoe surgery was August 12th. I had virtually no pain from the surgery, and thank God for an appliance called a "Knee Walker". I was not weight bearing for 3 weeks and my foot was always up and outta the way.

A Knee Walker is like a scooter on steroids - - trememdious help.

I'm still experiencing some swelling, apparently taking it easy isn't in my vocabulary. I did get measured for and purchased compression stockings, knee high. It has helped tremendously.

I'm I expecting too much, too soon. The uneven gait really messed up my low back - so the chiropractor says - - Don't sit too long.

Then the foot needs to be elevated. WHAT UP - - - - DOWN - -? ? ? ?

I haven't learned to levitate yet

Closed Thread