It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneous 5

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #16
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 5

Hello Joe,
    About your exercise workouts going well then being sore as hell the next day, thats how I feel when I walk fine all day then the next day it's hurting & sore as hell.
    I tried walking down the steps today & was able to do it.
    Been looking forward to going to PT 1st week of Nov. for my first visit.
    I might be brave enough to try some of the things you do in PT.

Take Care!
    Carole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #17
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 5

Good Morning all,

Taysha, hoping your husband has a great week. I am a little surprised that he's going in one more time on Friday. I hope he gets everything and it is clean.....Thank you for the compliment? I'm not a Dr but I did stay and at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I made sure I read everything I could about this injury since the docs and nurses didn't share much information unless I had a specific question. We all know good questions don't come at the docs office, they come at 2 and 3 am when we can't sleep. Ha.....

Carole, great news on your progress. You are really moving along. Keep up with the exercises and stretching. The more ROM you have the less pain and the easier it is to move onto the next PT item. ie.....my achilles no longer has to be stretched before I can walk after waking. It's still tight but moves a lot more freely now.

Joe, It does get very frustrating. I do too much and feel the next day too. I am not over doing it either. My achilles area is still waking up now that I don't have the boot to keep it immobile anymore. I get twinges of pain now. As the day wears on, my heel pad starts to hurt....my toes are hurting & B&B again because they are getting used again, as are my ankle joints.

Heat, to loosen at night, then ice for the swelling seem to help best for me. The compression sock I wear hurts by the end of the day too as it has to be tight and this one is, but helps keep the swelling down most of the day.

Mydd, my guess is yes he will still require IV's. I think it was TChair who told us the infections tend to adhere to the metal plate and screws. Once removed there is still a chance of infection so IV treatment still might be necessary.

Jason. How are you doing these days?

As always everyone, keep healing heelies.
    Ed

Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #18
    b4us
    (male)

b4us HB User

Hi all
    Ed - I think he is having an ok week so far, a little agitated about staying in the hospital so long! Your comment about staying at the Holiday Inn Express last night made me laugh - my husband said the exact same thing to his anethesia(sp) doctor yesterday as he went off to surgery!!! You are so right about the doctors no telling you much about this injury at all, you defeinetly have to ask questions.

Mydd
    My husband and I are doing well, I will be thinking about you on Tuesday! My husbands doc said the same thing about hardware removal, the infection likes to stick to that metal. Still not sure why he had to stay in the hospital for a week, but since he has had or is going to have a surgery every other day I guess it made sense! He will be on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks after he is home and also will have the wound vac on for 2 weeks as well.

Joe41 - I told Bill the same thing - you have to have the pain for the healing! I am sure in a few years we all look back at this as an adventure

Keep healing!
    Taysha

Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #19
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

ED
    I wanted to thank you for the laugh this morning ,geeze i needed that,you comment that you arent a dr but you stayed at a holiday inn express last night was priceless ,think i may need to use that when i talk to the nurses at the hospital since i have learned alot of medical terms not used in everyday life.
    Cant wait for this to all be done for my husband and get to pt in a healthier stage this time!
    hope you are all progressing well.

mydd

Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #20
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

B4us

thanks for your thoughts and yes it does make sense to have him stay in hospital for the things they need to do.hope he his feeling better now that the plate is out, what are the next steps as far as walking? will he need to go to crutches again?
    stay well and keep me posted
    mydd

Old 10-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #21
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

Hello Everyone.
    Ed: Thanks for asking, I'm doing pretty well. Today marks the first day that I can put my pants on standing up. It's a small thing but hey it's progress. I'm now walking around without crutches until I reach my limit then I use the crutches again. I'm able to navigate stairs okay but any sort of off camber or abrupt change from flat to up/down is a bit difficult.
    I am going to try your suggestion for heating but in the morning to get things moving and I already ice at night when needed.
    Carole:
    I know how you feel except my pain cycles are a little bit faster I think. I walk during the morning without aid but then by mid day it's hurting something fierce then I'm okay again by mid afternoon.
    Keep healing everyone.
    Jason

Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #22
    KCguy
    (male)

KCguy HB User

Hey everyone. Hope you're having a great week.

Mydd...hang in there, they can never be too cautious about getting rid of the infection, I'm sure he'll be up and walking in no time

Taysha same thing. At least in the hospital you know they can keep close watch over the wound and knock out that infection.

Sounds like everyone else is progressing right along, reading how you guys Ed, Joe, Carole etc. are dealing with pain but with gain is just part of the process. I know I'll expect some of that when I start WB.

Ed I'm with you on the Holiday Inn Express comments. I have been a serious pain in the anatomy(thought that was a better term) to my doctor and assistant. They were telling me very little from day one and that has been unacceptable to me. It's my foot they were cutting on, my heel they were putting screws into, I wanted to know everything. They would just look at me like no one had ever been so inquisitive before. I asked my orthopedic questions about her experience, her credentials, board certification, referrals, etc. I even got a copy of my surgical report afterwards, you just have to ask. Because I have asked so many questions and kept my medical team accountable, they know I'm not going to accept nothing but the best care and advice. I've told them from the beginning nothing short of full recovery was acceptable. For what it cost me, I'm getting my money's worth!

Anyhow, I'm just keeping up with all of you and your progress. There's not much I can do right now but keep up with my ROM exercises and wait for November 12th for the beginning of my WB. I'm sure then I'll have a lot to add to the discussion.

Keep improving everyone, keep pressing forward, and keep that positive mental attitude. Visualize pain free walking and running and we'll all be healed up in no time!

Alex

Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #23
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Heelies,

Just got back from PT. Gained an average of 7 degrees on all the range of motion motions. PT gal is very pleased, am not, but that's me. I see the Doc tomorrow. I let you guys know.

MYDD, Taysha, Stay positive you and your husbands are making progress. You'll be past this infection ordeal before you know it.

Jason, sounds like you are progressing nicely and going thru some of the same things we have or are going thru, hang in there.

Alex, see what you have to look forward to. Nov.12 will be here soon.

Carole, your PT will dictate the excersies and bring you along. They focus on not making you have pain. Altho you will feel discomfort but it comes with the territory. That stair climbing is a good thing, but don't over due.

Hey Ed, I think am going to stay at a Holiday Inn just for the hell of it.

Phil, I think it was you that tried my snug sock idea. My PT said the pressure knocks down the sensitivity. I asked my PT if there was any type of cream she would recommend for the sensitivity. She said that's normal. The nerve ends have to desensitize, and the best thing you can do is massage the foot. I hope I got everyone, well remember stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 10-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
    sbrew7
    (female)

sbrew7 HB User

Hello heelies,
    I just read all the posts on Calcaneous 5 to catch up on how everyone is doing. I am glad the infections are better. I thought I was getting one on the top of my foot but am continuing with my antibiotics since last surgery to remove external pins and took off wrap and put ice on my foot and things are getting better. Those of you with infections made me scared....

Some points: Yes, get a plastic shower stool. I thought I would never allow my self to do that but..... as of yesterday I could stand on one foot and put my knee on the stool and take a shower kinda standing.

I have been having trouble with swelling and sensitivity and have read so many or your suggestions and since I am was so sure that all of you have stayed at the holiday inn that I decided to try some things. I had not been allowed to do anything with my foot but started some (unofficial)ROM exercises and that with a little ice therapy am having much less swelling...less swelling means less pain and sensitivity. I just did a massage too.

I am excited...I have on jeans with skinny legs...yes, progress. I actually drove twice. Today I drove to my office and used crutches to get inside. I only stayed 5 hours but plan to try to return Monday. I am taking a recliner to my office and I have a lap desk...so, if I have problems I will just work from my recliner. Driving was ok after I put a pillow under my right knee and drove with my left foot. That was interesting but I also got to go to Walmart last night with my husband and drove that little cart...you had to be there. Yes, two outings in one week...whoooooppppeeeeeee!!!

I will be glad when I get this compression wrap removed. I am hoping I get a boot on Monday and soon after I can put a little weight on my foot..get some exercises and can start PT.

Most of all, I just wanted to say that I have learned more from you guys that have helped than anywhere else. We are all making progress...I am rambling.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #25
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

sbrew

just wanted to let you know your better safe then sorry if you did think you were getting an infection ,it is a scarey and time consuming thing and id rather you ask your doctor before it got to far along and to find out you dont have one is even better! glad to know you are up and about and continue to get better.
    mydd

Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #26
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Mydd,

I am so glad I was able to help make you laugh today. We all need that going thru these times. It's what helped keep me sane between 2 and 4 am when I couldn't sleep.

I'm sorry, refresh my memory...when was his original surgery? If it was 6 or more weeks then the bone is probably healing well. 8 Weeks is even better. Recovery from hardware removal is usually much faster so he will probably be able to walk sooner without crutches. Again, tho, ask the doctor what he/she thinks is possible.

Keep laughing and keep heeling.
    Ed

Old 10-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

I don't know why this sight does what it does, but I saw one post. After I made my comments about the laughs and it was posted I saw 4 new posts from everyone.

So....Jason...great news. You are listening to your foot and doing what you think is necessary and not over doing it. I think I am a little further than you that my crutches are in the basement and the boot is now in hiding. I hope forever. And yes, little things for us are really big things, like the pant legs.

Alex, I'm really happy you are so pro-active with everything. Demand answers and if they don't give them, call them back and ask again. These are our bodies and we really would like to know what is going on....Don't fear the WB too much. I really believe the new saying on here is listen to your foot and do what it tells you. The rest will come in time....

Joe, great news and great progress. I read correctly that is all around motion? If you are not happy, then just push a little bit more. There will be pain but it pays off. I can't believe the ROM I have in 4 weeks, but there is more to be had and I will find it...BTW, we'll get ajoining rooms or a suite and invite everyone here...LOL

Carole, Joe gave some good advice on the stairs. I know you'll do what's right for you yet hearing his voice in the back of your head.

Sbrew....you go girl. Wow, you made a lot of head way this week. I am excited for you. Skinny jeans, standing in the shower, driving etc....feels good doesn't it? Don't sweat the stool, it'll be useless before you know it.
    Please, be careful driving with that left foot. Finally, do the best you can with any wounds. Keep them clean and use neosporin if you can. Don't let the thought of infection scare you, you'll do fine.

Getting a fever is the 1st sign. If you don't have cold like symptoms, call the doc right away, but don't be paranoid about it either.

To everyone. I ws hung up on the swelling for a while. I now ignore it except at night when I ice it before bed. It's part of the process, the swelling will be with us for 12-14 months. It's blood healing the area in our feet. If it's swelling more than normal, elevate and ice but this is part of the process.

My doc told me Monday I didn't need to have a compression sock, but it also wouldn't hurt. It does help, but it's still swollen.

My update, I did quite a bit of walking today but no exercising. The back of my knee is sore today as is my hamstring. Why? I have no idea....I'll ask at PT tomorrow, but I would guess it's using my leg more and more. My ankle is sore again but not unbearable.

With that, it's Miller time and the Phillies will be on in 45 minutes. Sleep well everyone and keep healing.
    Ed

Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #28
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

hey ed
    husbands original operation was in april of 08 wound got infected dr didnt want to believe it was ,i took him to wound center where it was confirmed for infection,instead telling my husband he needed plate out dr put him on 6 weeks iv. finished that -infection came right back .we are going on 6 months of dr not helping and trying things that didnt work,went and found new dr who is taking hardware out this tuesday the 28 and then we will have to see from there whats going to be done ,talking about anitbiotic beads that are put in foot to help infection directly ,but they stay in for awhile then have to be taken out so that would mean opening up the foot again,,so you see we are still in for along haul-just hoping he feels better once the plate is out and he isnt fighting an infection-
    will be submitting some upbeat stuff soon i hope! lol
    mydd

Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Phil

In response to your question about Neurontin:

First thing to tell you is that any two people can have opposite results from the same drugs. For example: Ultram/Tramadol. It is a synthetic opiod for pain relief. I took the max dose for years with negligible problems and great relief. I was able to adjust my dose to my activities/pain levels without complications and finally went off it overnight with no repercussions. This is not an uncommon experience. But there are those that describe it as worthless, intolerable and addicting. Moral of the story, if the med is appropriate for the problem give it a shot. Trial and error is a part of the process.

Nerve cells use an amazing method to transmit sensations and commands. There are electrical charges that travel on the outside (not even inside like wires). Chemicals are used to communicate between the cells. The same system controls movements and involuntary, both vision and smell, and all our mental faculties.

The good news is that meds like Neurontin and Lyrica help with sensations limited to the nervous system without much effect on the rest of the body. It blocks GABA reception and increases the threshold of signal needed to pass a signal. A whole lot of people with various injuries and diseases consider it a godsend especially those experiencing burning sensations or pain that isn't relieved by pain killers. Another way that it differs from other drugs is that it requires time to build up to the proper levels and must be maintained at a steady level to work.

The bad news is that it acts on all nerves so some people (raising my hand here) have unwanted side effects. Examples are loss of touch sensation, sloppy motor control (re: dropping things and double vision or just poor depth perception), loss of short term memory (Where was I ?). Oh, and strange emotional moods. I'll relate some of my observations -very, very, likely a worst case scenario. Docs have little idea about some sensations why they are there, how long they will last. They have no idea what the 'best' dosage of these meds are - only ballpark. That means with no results they might repeatedly up the dose. Many docs have been convinced by the manufactures that it works on 'everything' so your veracity about non effectiveness could be questioned. If the touch sensation in feet is diminished that could be rightly or wrongly to the injury. Perceptual and mental deficiencies can be easily discounted - because of your lack of physical activity or sleep. They might say that the med works and your effects are not from that but your pain levels (err, O.K.)

There is other good news. Some have their docs wait months or never lift a finger in response to post injury pain and others hear: "That's not my area, nothing I can do" or worse: "You'll just have to live with it." You are fortunate that your doc listens, cares, is actively treating the problem and in the proper manner. Work with him if he wants to go higher dose more time, but keep in mind the possible complications so that you can communicate them if necessary. If you are not sure what the meds are doing or not the test is to go off them and see what gets better or worse in result. Do be aware that there's no 'cold turkey'. You must taper down slowly and as directed by your doc.

TC

PS to the newbies: yes a bad injury, but good timing to do it with the help of this group.

And a question: Is it just me, or is Ed actually enjoying all of this?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #30
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi all,

When I was learning about this process, TC was one of the folks that provided good and timely information that was very useful to me and helped keep me from becoming depressed.

You've been a little silent lately except for interjecting occasionallly with your welcomed and accurate knowledge. TC is the guru of this injury....LOL He's forgotten more about this than any of will ever learn.

It's my turn to help the ones following in our heel steps. If I can help folks stay postive and focused like you did for me on this site, I am helping someone besides myself.

My 2nd career choice would have been somewhere in the health field because I enjoy helping people with medical issues.

So, yes, I am enjoying this and thank you TC.

Ed

Closed Thread