It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneous 5

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2008, 05:49 AM   #106
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 5

b4us

well if u think we have alot in common ,i have 2 daughters also! and would be nervous about leaving too,but if u have help it should ok and will do u some good,but i know how u feel with nobody could know as much as you do about how he feels,think when u are fighting this together its if u are one person becasue u dont want them to hurt like they do.
    let me know when u are back how things are ,cant wait untill tomorrow to get husband home,have a good trip!
    mydd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #107
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Sbrow,
    My timetable:
    28/2/08 - on holiday from UK in Australia - fell down 1 stair while trying to save a plate I was carrying, plate and I both broke
    1/3/08 - A&E - ct scan showed convoluted fracture of heel with 3 mm displacement
    5/3/08 - Ortho surgeon doesn't give me any options just assumes I am going to have surgery, - I refuse surgery as 87 yr. old Mother lives with me and is in respite care until I get home. Ortho surgeon says cast then for 12 weeks
    21/3/08 - arrive back in UK ( boy was using toilet on aircraft difficult NWB)
    25/3/08 - UK Ortho puts on new cast until & plaster orderly tells me to keep moving toes and lifting leg up in cast as much as possible
    28/5/08 - cast taken off and Ortho says start PT and PWB as tolerated for 6 weeks ( no boot even mentioned)
    11/6/08 - PT starts. just rom at first and theraband ( still on walking aid as nervous of crutches)
    18/6/08 - PT tells me to use theraband at home until seeing ORTho and given go ahead to WB ( I progress to 2 crutches)
    14/7/08 - Ortho gives go ahead to WB and continue PT and he will see me in 3 months
    21/7/08 - start Hydrotherpy once a week for 3 weeks and continue theraband
    12/8/08 - change Pt as they rotate, stop Hydrotherapy, start new exercises, stretching,leg raises etc.
    Sometine in Sept. went to 1 crutch without PT say so and in Oct. I decided to drop crutch indoors as I was feeling really good - bad move as I wasn't walking properly and knee and hip started to hurt, PT told me knee exercises and not to walk without crutch until knee better.
    Oct. 6th. saw Ortho who said heel healed and now only a matter of time and exercise to get foot better, might take a year to 18 months. ( I am 62 this month so not surprising really)
    I am still not using crutch indoors all the time and sometimes foot and knee get quite painful.
    I was feeling good this week until 2 days ago when started getting bad pain at heel, might be due I think to drop in temperature.
    I am going to Spain on holiday in 2 weeks time and hoping the sun and the daily swimming I plan to do will allow me to drop crutch altogether - we shall see.
    Although it is taking a long time and never completely without pain I can do a lot more now than I could and there is light at the end of the tunnel.Going back to Australia Jan.7th. and will not be carrying plates downstairs!!

Carole,
    Keep going gal

Pat

Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #108
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 5

Good morning heelies,

Taysha? Taysha where are you? Taysha, please answer me......NOT.....I'd better not hear from you for a week, your butt had better be on that boat....LOL Seriously, I do hope you went, you need a break too. He'll be fine....

Carole, we don't hear from you in a week and look how well you ar doing. I'm really glad to hear it's getting easier for you. The chiropractor idea was great and that he could adjust your foot to help. Great news. It's all down hill from here folks.

Pat, you've also made some good progress, I'm sorry it's taking so long to heal for you, to get your gait back and the knee issues to go away. I know in time, but wish it were faster for you.

Me? Thursday was a great day, my foot felt fine as did my knee. Yesterday I could not get anything to loosen, even at PT. I had a lot of discomfort yesterday too, but the Phillies celebration and Halloween, made me forget all that.

The best part of yesterday tho was riding my bicycle outdoors....I rode 4 miles for the 1st time since early July. My foot felt fairly good, still tight, but just to get out and ride......The weather is going to be nice again today, so I will get out again.

To show how strange this injury is....this morning my foot feels great again. Good movement and everything is loose. Go figure.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and you see some progress in recovery too.

Ed

Old 11-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #109
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Just wanted you all to know I have been following your recoveries and apreciate all that you have shared.

I have fought staph infection twice, so I understand how trying and frustrating it can be to suffer a setback so big in your recovery. I would be happy to answer any questions about that.

I think I may even live near a couple of you (kc metro area).

I wish you all well! I think it is cool and great that you are such a caring suport group for each other. I hope I can find the same support when I have my next surgery.

Step

Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #110
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

Hey all

was able to get hub out of the hospital this morning!! is now home and so happy that part is over ,Ed glad you are out riding your bike one of our favorite things to do also,by the time hub is better we will be riding in the snow lol, the part where you say your foot locks ,seems to be common with the fractures? when my husband sat for awhile he would have to take his hand and sort of twist the foot to "unlock it".

stepbystep_how is everything with you now as far as infections are concerned?do you know what kind it was?

Keep well everyone!!!!!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #111
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

"stepbystep_how is everything with you now as far as infections are concerned?do you know what kind it was?"

The first infection was during my ankle fusion - MSSA - osteomyelitis (in the bone). I still had metal in my leg with the fixator. The infection likely came from an internal bone stimulator.

The second infection was during my bunionectomy. I had 2 pins sticking out of my foot. There was never a culture drawn because there was nothing obviously draining. There was some mystery around this one. It ended up in my bone again (osteomyelitis). We treated it as though it was MRSA just in case.

I have posted quite a bit about my journey. If you search my name you will find more info. Of course, I am happy to answer any questions.

Keep posting!
    Step

Old 11-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #112
    sbrew7
    (female)

sbrew7 HB User

Thanks to all of you for the timelines. I have put them on a chart with my dates so I can compare. I know we are different but it helps me to see the time line.

I went to the doctor and got my boot. I started on crutches and I am driving. I put a pillow under my right knee and drive with my left foot. I am/was going to work. I am lucky in that I sit at a desk to work so it is not much different than being home except my foot hangs and swells. I am taking a recliner to my office. (My surgery was 9/9). . My doctor put me on exercies to stretch my achilles. Next week I was to start some WB and on the 11/10, PT. I was doing so good and had a little set back

I was walking to my car on my crutches with a computer backpack on my shoulder and I fell. It happened fast but I think the bag shifted causing me to fall. I took off Friday and stayed in bed. Now, my hip is now hurting when I move my leg. At least it is the same leg as my broken foot. I decided that I am going to run away from my body the first chance I get. I am not sure what I have done to my leg/hip but am having xrays Monday. I fell in the hall and everyone else was gone. I couldn't lift my leg or move so I called my husband and had to just lay there for about 40 minutes. The hall was kinda dark...it was a lonely filling-I was so upset with the fall. How could I be so healthy and strong August 30th...have a STUPID accident falling off a ladder and now up on the floor in a dark hall not being able to pick up m leg. One of you said 2 steps forward and 1 set back ...I am on my one giant step back.

Last edited by sbrew7; 11-01-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Closed Thread