HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Fractured Calcaneous 5 (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/643324-fractured-calcaneous-5-a.html)

triguy450 10-21-2008 08:23 AM

Fractured Calcaneous 5

Hi all,

Starting a new thread.

Ed

KCguy 10-21-2008 08:40 AM

Re: Fractured Calcaneous 5

Hey everyone, I guess we'll all carry over from calcaneous 4 since the mods closed that one. Seems like a lot of people are doing well!

Carole, way to go! Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up, what an inspiration!

I can't remember who posted in the end of calc. 4 about sleeping now without a boot, and you broke your heel the same day as me, August 31st. Wow, you're getting much more latitude from your doc. My doc is not letting me do anything until November 12th when I go back. I have to keep my boot on all the time except for ROM exercises and showering. She is very cautious, but I think she's a top notch orthopedic. She's also making me keep an ace wrap on to help with swelling. I don't have hardly any swelling unless I walk around a lot on my crutches and don't keep it elevated. Although it still turns a pretty red and blue when I take a shower and have it down for a while. It's so fun getting in the shower with my crutches then standing on one foot for 5 to 10 minutes. Thank God I have a walk in shower without having to get over the side of a tub. Sorry for some of you who still have post-surgery pain and nerve problems. I've been very fortunate not having those types of problems except for some numbness around my incision area which is normal.

Ed and Phil, you're both kicking butt, I can't wait to get to WB and catch up to you guys.

Hope everyone keeps getting better and feeling great, keep visualizing what it will be like to go jogging or running up and down the stairs in a few months!

Alex

P.S. I'm really glad to have this place to post, most people have no idea what an ordeal a broken heel is versus other bones of the foot/ankle. I tell people who ask to imagine walking without putting any weight on their heel and intstead on the ball of their foot. Then maybe you'll figure out what we're dealing with.:)

Tripod123 10-21-2008 10:19 AM

Carole: Thanks. I will take your advice and try lots of massage to the foot. I do notice that if I first rub the bottom of my foot, it seems to trick the nerves and the rest of the foot isn't sensitive for a time. Maybe more vigorous rubbing (rather than babying it) will do the trick.

Alex: Quite hopping around in the shower and get one of those plastic shower stools like I got. You will get to enjoy sitting there in the hot water. And when you get bored, you can rub some more dead skin off your foot.

Regards

Phil

triguy450 10-21-2008 02:11 PM

Hi all,

Carole, I'm not sure I responded to your last post. Congrats on walking around pain free the other day. You must be on cloud 9. I'm really happy for you. How does it feel today?

Phil, I too found massaging the foot helps get the nerves etc to wake up and then relax. I had most of my nerve pain near where the incision was. It went away about 3-4 weeks post op. I still, today get nerves waking up, but they are not painful, just tingly etc...altho once in a while one screams at me where I have to stop and hold my breath.

Alex, Have you tried taking a bath instead of a shower? I found I could relax a lot more and not fight keeping my balance. The only tricky part was getting my butt and lower back. Get used to the swelling. I am now in a compression sock and it still gets pink, red and swollen. It is part of the healing process. My PT had a mole removed, it took 3 weeks for his to go down. I think your doc might be a little too cautious, but I would also listen to what I am told just to be sure. I agree, this board was great to help me keep a positive attitude and know what was coming next.

Today's PT. No Boot, so they had me do the same as before but added standing calf raises, wall squats (lean against the wall, raise and lower with your thighs), 2 half rubber balls to balance on for strength and strap stretches pulling the outside of the foot towards me, then the inside of the foot towards me. Friday I will start squats with weights on a rack.

What was really cool yesterday? Driving again with my right foot. Wow....
Another little thing is being able to put my socks or pants on without having to sit down. We can all appreciate these little/big things, but we're all going to get there.

Stay positive everyone. Keep healing.
Ed

joe41 10-21-2008 02:43 PM

Hey Heelies,

I guess I must of ticked everyone off, nobody seems to respond to my posts:D. That's okay I know everyone is doing well and excited about it I won't hold it agin ya :D I go to the Doc Friday I'll let everyone know what he says. Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies :jester:

Joe

triguy450 10-21-2008 02:58 PM

Hi Joe,

I'm sorry you feel left out. As a friend of mine always says, "Don't go away mad, just go away." No, don't do that, I'm just busting on you. Didn't I respond to your post about calf raises? I thought I did.

So, to understand you correctly, you do calf raises and balance on your foot at the same time? Really? I'm not sure I can do that just yet, that sounds pretty advanced.

Can you tell me more about the incline board? Is it a wobble board or do I have it mixed up with something else. How does your ankle feel in general? Are you to wear the boot all the time outside of PT?

I'm looking back and I don't think I did respond to your posts. I'm glad you gave us all a kick in the pants here. At least you got to work on your boat. I haven't touched mine all summer. I'm getting ready to winterize it. :(

Sandra, I felt the same trepedations you are with WB. It's like a Nike commercial, Just do it....your foot will let you know when it's had enough. Trust me on that one. My surgeon told me 9/17 to be rid of the crutches in 5 days. Believe me I tried and it took 2 weeks. I listened to my foot and backed off as needed. You will get there, but trust yourself and your foot.

I'm sorry you are still in pain, but again, this too will pass. One day, one step at a time.

Ed

joe41 10-21-2008 04:21 PM

Hey Ed,

thanks for the come back. No I do standing calf rasies, 3 sets of 30, then I do the balance on each foot 3 sets for 20 seconds. the incline board is an incline that you put your foot on with the heal near the floor which causes your foot to tilt up towards you while you lean forward. 3 sets of 30 seconds. you do this with your knee bent and then with your leg straight. It is the hardest excersie I do. It is not the wobble board. I use that also. I only wear my boot for work more as a protective and it also allows me to walk at normal speed.

Yeah, I was able to work on my boat no problem. Went fishing yesterday, it was fun.

Sandra,

If you look back thru the posts you will find that we were all scared to WB. But little by little you realize the bone is meaded and the pain and discomfort is from the muscles and ligaments and all the other stuff that has to lossen up. PT will do that for you.

One thing I found was that if I put light pressure on my foot on the incision side the tingling would go away. So I wear a snug fitting sock when I go to bed and the tingling doesn't bother me.
Progress slow and steady, stay strong, positive and of course

Joe

Hyper86 10-21-2008 11:37 PM

Hello Heelies,
Ed: After walking around so much yesterday my foots sore today.
My leg made some popping sounds today, think thats a good sign.
Joe: I'm really glad your doing so good, I'm sorry for not responding to you directly, have just been busy with work, laundry, getting car repaired ect.
Alex: Thank you!
Phil: Do the massage therapy a couple times a day, maybe tiger balm ointment might help.

Keep up the good healing heelies!
Carole

Tripod123 10-22-2008 06:47 AM

Carole/Ed: Thanks for the tip on frequent massage to deal with the sensitivity. I started doing that yesterday, and it seems to be helping.

Sandra: I appreciate your insight on the Lyrica. Nothing vain about not wanting to gain unnecessary weight. I have the prescription filled, but have decided to try meds as a last resort.

Joe: Big thanks for the snug sock suggestion. When I read your post last night, the idea seemed counter-intuitive -- why would I put something snug on my foot when any sort of touch was painful? But I hopped out of bed and dug out a sock to test it. And it worked quite well!

I'm really looking forward to November 5 for two reasons. First, I am supposed to start WB then. Second, the political television ads will be done. Not sure which of these excites me more.

Regards.

Phil

triguy450 10-22-2008 06:51 AM

Phil,

I think I would be willing to break my heel again if it got rid of all the campain ads. LOL NOT!!!!!

Glad everyone's ideas are helpful to you.
Ed

b4us 10-22-2008 08:50 AM

Hi all
MYDD
How did your husbands apointment go?

ED
Since I know you had your hardwear removed due to infection, I was wondering if you could tell me about how long it took to get the infection to go away? I know the antibiotics have to be completely finished to help ensure the infection will not return, but I was just wondering how long before you knew it was gone? Has your foot healed up nicely since your last surgery?

Well, off to the hospital for Bills 2nd surgery - Keep healing!

Thanks
Taysha

triguy450 10-22-2008 09:39 AM

Hi Taysha,

I'm sorry. I may have helped you think I had an infection. I did not. I still have my hardware. Barring any other issues I will be buried with them, much later than sooner. LOL

I think what I was trying to say...I spent months reading ALL the posts pertaining to this injury. From what I've read, 3 or 4 people who have posted wound up with infections. I was sharing what I gathered from their posts.

To answer your question as best I can, I believe it takes 2 IV's per day for about 6 weeks after hardware removal for the infection to go away. The doc will test your husband's white blood cell count during the course of treatment indicating if the infection is gone.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope this helps. Let us know how the doc visit goes today.

Ed

b4us 10-22-2008 12:04 PM

Hi all
Ed, please dont apologize, I should not have assumed, you just have such great information!:D
I am actually at the hospital right now, he is out of surgery and in recovery:D. Doc has scheduled him for another surgery on Friday just to clean it out one more time to try and be sure he is getting all out that he can and close the wound well.
I really do appreciate all the great information I get from these boards, they are a blessing!

Keep up the healing
Taysha

joe41 10-22-2008 12:20 PM

Hey Heelies,

Taysha, one down, one to go and Bill will be on his way to a full recovery. Am pulling for the both of you and everyone else.

Phil, glad the sock worked. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference.

Ed, I am getting very frustrated, I do my excercises and feel great. The next day am SORE as hell. Well, if this is the price to be paid I am going to pay it.

Carole, yeah yeah yeah :D that's what they all say :D. Glad to hear you have found a PT. Hope it works for you.

Okay guys, stay strong, positive and of course

Joe

mydd 10-22-2008 01:11 PM

Hey all

glad to find u all again! just reading some postings and saw where the antibiotic or infection is given after hardware removal ,,thats where my husbands doctor went wrong ,gave him the antibiotic with hardware in BUT this tuesday is the operation for removal- not sure if we have to go through iv again or not.Please keep us in your good thoughts,am going to be a nervous wreck till i know husband is out of anethesia(sp)
B4us -pre-testing went fine ty! BIG DAY TUESDAY- how are you and your husband doing? are you doing the iv ?

MYDD:)