It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Cheilectomy next Friday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
    HybridHen
    (female)

HybridHen HB User
    Cheilectomy next Friday

I'm having a cheilectomy on my left big toe next Friday 7th November. I'm a bit nervous and not sure what to expect. I haven't been given any leaflets or anything, and the consultant I saw today was very French and hard to understand. I hope he's better with a knife than he is with the English language. I'm hoping for about 6 weeks off work (you can tell I love my job!) if possible, but we'll see how it goes. Anyone got any tips for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
    webbie73
    (female)

webbie73 HB User
    Re: Cheilectomy next Friday

ICE!! Then more ICE. I actually used a reusable gel wrap that could be place in the freezer. When icing the foot keep it WAY up over your heart.

Best of luck.

I had a cheilectomy with a wedge as part of my surgery 8 weeks ago. I am still not in shoes of any kind. sigh. The toe will be very stiff. Once you get the OK from the pod to start exercising it, make sure you do it. Don't get discouraged it takes time to heal.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
    HybridHen
    (female)

HybridHen HB User

Thanks for your reply. I prefer a bag of frozen peas to those gel things, they're more flexible. What's a wedge? Are you back at work yet?

I think they're expecting me back at work within a month but I told them it depends how I get on, the cheeky beggars. I don't drive, so I don't want to be walking to work in an orthopaedic sandal, I'll freeze my toes off. I'm hoping I'll be able to get around by Christmas or there won't be a christmas in my house! I'm so nervous, I'm a big baby.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Everyone is different so I can only relate my experience. I had the same procedure (with the wedge osteotomy - shaving off the bone at an angle). I walked out of the surgery center on crutches. Was walking on my foot the next day. Off work for 5 days. I was a salesman at the time so didn't have to do a lot of walking but i had done my schedule where I didn't have to go a lot of places for a couple of weeks. Stitches out at 2 weeks. Still in surgical shor for about another week, after that in sort of clog style shoes. Was in flat heeled shoes at about 6 weeks and then slowly worked into low heels. Started exercises the day the stitches were out and kept them up for weeks afterwards - still pull on it every now and then! (pull out gently then up and down) That was about 6 years ago and all is well. Back in everything but 3" heels....jog, dance, walk, no problems. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
    gbeach
    Inactive
    (male)

gbeach HB User

how are you doing hybridhen

Old 12-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
    HybridHen
    (female)

HybridHen HB User

I'm waiting for a check up and x-rays on xmas eve. I had the bandage removed by a nurse at my local GP practice after 9 days. I was told by the nurse to wiggle my toes now and then, and to wear normal shoes. It's still painful to wear my old comfy trainers even, and I feel a bit neglected, I know they did a cheilectomy and osteotomy but haven't had any 'proper' advice, and my hips are now hurting from limping when I walk. So I shall have to see what they say at my check up. I need a fusion on my other foot as there's no cartilege left in it, but don't want that doing until this one is better!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should be doing exercises. Trying to pick up a towel with your toe. Also, pulling gently out and moving up and down....many times day.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
    steved0603
    (male)

steved0603 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Cheilectomy next Friday

Hi,
    Hope this encourages you a lot. Yesterday I had a bilateral cheilectomy and osteotomy on BOTH feet! Was wheeled out to the car in a wheel chair, of course, but with crutches in hand. I started using them to get into the house, etc. when I got home. A little awkward trying use the crutches alone because of having to keep weight off of both feet, but I'll get it down!

So far I've done exactly what the doc told me to do in the next several weeks and I think all in all I'm going to do fine. Everyone at the hospital was incredibly nice and supportive, which made me feel that much more confident. Do a search through all the threads and you'll find some good advice for after care. You can, if you want, for the instructions I got. reply to this and I'll send em on next time I'm out of bed. My surgeon is very accomplished and is not a Podiatrist, which mostly I've read not to use one of those docs for this, use an orthopedic surgeon. Mine specializes in foot and ankle problems, as well. From my experience so far, I think that's great advice. I've had the added benefit of my doc being a nice guy and thouroughly explaining everything to me in detail before and after surgery.

Seems to really care, and obviously loves his job. If you're not comfortable with yours, it's not too late for a second opinion and maybe switching to a new doc (one who's language you can understand is VERY important!), that is if your surgery is next Friday rather today! Later on you could regret not getting a second opinion and maybe finding a doc you feel good about.

My sister had this done to one foot a couple of years ago and returned to her Pilates class at the end of a month! Said she had none of the negative experiences that are written about on these boards (supposedly those with problems are in the very low minority and may have other unrelated health problems that are contributing). She's very happy she had it done and I think I will be too in the end. I already am, but not getting too overconfident just yet! My son graduuates from college in 9 days and I was worried I wasn't going to be able to go, but with how I'm feeling right now, I'll be there!

Take care, Steve

Last edited by moderator2; 12-15-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: please do not ask for emails: this website is strictly anonymous only for on-the-board sharing

Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
    steved0603
    (male)

steved0603 HB User

Whoops, just saw that your post and surgery are old news by now. Oh well, maybe this will help others. How are you doing at this point?!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
    HybridHen
    (female)

HybridHen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steved0603 View Post
    Whoops, just saw that your post and surgery are old news by now. Oh well, maybe this will help others. How are you doing at this point?!
    Thanks Steve, my surgery was done on 8th November, so it was 4 weeks ago now. I walked out of the hospital on crutches the same day, and was able to weight-bear from the start. My surgeon is a professor and an orthopaedic surgeon and is meant to be very good, it's just a shame his French accent is so very thick. I was supposed to have a check up with him after a week but there was a mix up at the hospital that's why I ended up just seeing a nurse at my local practice. It was done on the national health service, so I couldn't pick and choose my doctor, I just feel let down by the lack of after care. I asked my local doctor if I should be pulling and pushing it and she said only if I was told to by the hospital, which of course I wasn't, as I wasn't told much at all. My check up is in 18 days. So if you could tell me the after care advice you recieved, that would be great. Mine was done with keyhole surgery, I only have 3 tiny little cuts which didn't even have stitches, but it's the inside that hurts, and the pressure from my shoes is rather uncomfortable and my big toe is still very swollen at the base.

I've had pain in my feet for a few years now, I've tried orthopaedic insoles and steroid injections, and I'm wondering maybe the arthritis was too far advanced and will have to have a fusion eventually. I had my left foot operated on first (they only do one foot at a time there) as it was causing me more pain, even though the other foot looks much worse in the x-rays and has a little less movement.

Last edited by HybridHen; 12-05-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
    steved0603
    (male)

steved0603 HB User
    Smile Re: Cheilectomy next Friday

Hi Hybredhen!
    I didn't even think about you guys having a national health care system, but I've read about it and know the concern with Mr Obama's plans would bring the negative aspects of that to us here in the states. Sorry you've had such negatives aspects of care surrounding your surgery!

Here is what I was told:
    First of all, I'd be in the flat bottomd velcro "shoes", only while walking or standing, for around 4 weeks and maybe beyond, due to swelling and the need to keep from flexing the joint too much while walking. Sounds like that could be happening with you.

2 - I can bear weight on them, walking and standing, as much as desired, while using crutches or a walker as needed for pain relief, asssuming that is until my check up. Not walking without them this soon for me yet!

3 - Feet are to be kept elevated above the level of my heart, either in bed or in a recliner, for the first several days after surgery, and as needed for swelling and pain after that. Might help you to do this when they really hurt, even at this stage of your recovery.

4 - My check up is on the 16th of Dec., 12 days after surgery. He said bandages would be removed then and I would be given exercises to regain flexibility and strength at that point.

5 - Take pain medications, prescribed or over the counter, as needed for pain. Advil (ibuprofin) as needed for swelling, inflamation, and pain. Not on an empty stomach, though, as that can cause nausea. Narcotics can cause constipation, too, so use a laxitive if nec. to relieve that.

6 - If you have a fever greater than 101.5 degrees ferinheight or if excessive redness or swelling is present and pain meds aren't working, notify the doc immediately. I was told to ice the joints for 20 minutes at a time to relieve swelling. 20 min. on, 20 off until swelling goes away and pain is reduced. From my experience, ice makes a big difference with pain management! Just make sure you wrap the ice bag (crushed ice preferably) in a light towel to prevent direct contact with your skin and don't leave on the joint longer than 20 minutes at a time. Some people use bags of frozen peas for this.

7 - As far as exercises at your stage, I'm not sure, but I bet if you do a search for "exercises during recovery of Cheilectomy" you probably find some good ones on line. I'll look for some too and send you a link if I find any.

Really sorry you haven't been given much help or information. Been there before myself with other surgeries I've had and it stinks.

Let me know if any of this helps you!
    Steve

Old 12-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
    joefine
    Inactive
    (male)

joefine HB User

Re advil and aspirin. I see that some doctors specifically tell poeple to take advil or aspirin after the cheilectomy, but my doctor specifically told me not to take them but to take only tylenol.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
    steved0603
    (male)

steved0603 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Cheilectomy next Friday

Try this thread. Seems to have some good info.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=522538[/url]

Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
    HybridHen
    (female)

HybridHen HB User

Quote:
    I didn't even think about you guys having a national health care system, but I've read about it and know the concern with Mr Obama's plans would bring the negative aspects of that to us here in the states.
    Thanks. I've nothing against the NHS, as without it I wouldn't have been able to have an operation at all, and I think the mix up occured in the admin side of things. If you get it over there, I think it would save a lot of suffering for poorer people. We have private health care over here too, for those that can afford it. I've looked online and it seems swelling is normal for up to 3 months, and I think it's getting slightly less painful to walk as time goes by, it's just slow that's all. It's not red at all, and doesn't feel puffy, so it's probably the bone that needs time to heal, where they did the osteotomy. I managed to walk round the shops yesterday without too much suffering! I don't need pain medication for it. My big toe won't bend forwards much still though. I certainly can't bend it enough to pick a towel up. Reading about wearing the special shoe, I think that's when you have open surgery, to protect the scar from coming open.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You really need to be doing some exercises to keep scar tissue from buidling up. If that happens, the whole surgery will ahve been for naught as you won't have any movement. Seriously, you need to be gently pulling the toe out and then moving up and down. Do it in the bath wher you can warm the muscles up with the water. It will help.

And I know oyu can't bend it down enough now to grip the towel, but the exercise will improve that over time. Just keep trying and bending as much as you can. It will eventually happen.

Last edited by Titchou; 12-07-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Closed Thread