It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Tailor's bunion surgery....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
    irvinbl97
    (female)

irvinbl97 HB User
    Unhappy Tailor's bunion surgery....

Hi everyone!
    I am having surgery on Tuesday for a tailor's bunion on my right foot. I am extremely nervous about this surgery. The doctor said he will make an incision, go in and shave off the bump, then break my little toe and then set it so it will be straight. He said he will insert a pin, too. He said I will be off work (I teach special education, grades 3-5) at least 2 weeks, and will be on crutches for 6 weeks. Does this sound about right for anyone else who has had this done? What can I expect as far as the recovery process? Anyone who has ever had this done, any results and reassurances would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
    Janesfoot
    Veteran
    (female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
    Re: Tailor's bunion surgery....

I had similar surgery five months ago. I had a tailor's bunion on the right foot as well as a "traditional" bunion on the same foot, big toe. Every situation is different. I also had the osteotomy (bone cut, then a pin) on both sides. I will tell you that the tailor bunion side took longer to heal, which surprised me. I had crutches, but found a walker to work much better because it was more stable. Trust me, I didn't think I would need a walker, but pre-surgery crutch training taught me that crutches are not easy to use and manuever. I work in a High School and took five weeks off at the end of the year. It was eight weeks before I could drive, as my doctor wouldn't ok driving until I could wear a regular shoe. Two weeks is not a lot of time after surgery, so you may want to leave your return date open. I was partial weight baring right away, so that helped with mobility. I could walk without crutches or walker after three weeks. The pins came out at four weeks, and then healing went much faster. This board is an excellent place to get advice and support. Good Luck!

Closed Thread