It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• inner left ankle pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
    hilary8
    (female)

hilary8 HB User
    inner left ankle pain

I have had inner ankle pain since August this year. I am a runner. It can be a searing pain ,feels hot and moves about around the calf and shin. I have tried acupuncture, massage and reiki. Wonder if hot/cold compress will help? Should I rest and do RICE?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
    LisaBdot
    (female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
    Re: inner left ankle pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilary8 View Post
    I have had inner ankle pain since August this year. I am a runner. It can be a searing pain ,feels hot and moves about around the calf and shin. I have tried acupuncture, massage and reiki. Wonder if hot/cold compress will help? Should I rest and do RICE?
    Hi!

My poor sister-in-law. She's a physical therapist. We've actually made her evaluate our injuries over the phone--and she's so good, she's always on the money.

Anyways, your phrase, "searing pain" up the inner side of your ankle and calf caught my eye, because that was my first clue something was wrong. Here's a direct quote from Suzy to me in case it's appropriate to your situation, "You've got your mother's flat feet. Posterior Tibiallis Tendonopathy. Wear only your athletic shoes, take ibuprofen at least a couple times a day, ice and elevate every night, and if it isn't a lot better in three weeks, go see an orthopod."

Excellent advice even if your mother doesn't have flat feet. In my case, I waited six weeks (all the while trying to convince myself that it really was much better) before seeing a doctor. Who said, "Posterior Tibiallis Tendonopathy. Wear only your athletic shoes, take ibuprofen at least a couple times a day, ice and elevate every night, and if it isn't a lot better in three weeks, we'll go from there."

"From there" was, for me, PT, different kinds of orthotics, different kinds of shoes, a couple different braces, and a boot. Again, for me, after I'd run through all the conservative stuff, I finally had an MRI and found that I'd shredded the posterior tibial tendon and had it surgically corrected.

I bet there are many other reasons for "searing pain" up your inner ankle and calf than shredded tendons. So wear only your athletic shoes, take ibuprofen at least a couple times a day (because it's an anti-inflammatory, not because of pain), ice and elevate every night, and if it isn't a lot better in three weeks, see an orthopod. Find one who has a fellowship in foot and ankle. Ask about having an MRI sooner rather than later.

All the best!
    Sending a hug,
    Lisa

Closed Thread