It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• need opinions on doing foot surgery on both feet at the same time

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
    bflgs
    (female)

bflgs HB User
    need opinions on doing foot surgery on both feet at the same time

I had surgery a year ago on my L foot. It was to remove a Morton's neuroma, fix a hammertoe and an oseotomy on both the 2nd and 3rd toes. The surgery and initial recovery were uneventful but the long term healing has been less than optimal. I have had ongoing problems with swelling, intermittent pain and a major problem with what the OS terms a toe drift of my 3rd toe into my fourth toe which is causing additional problems. My OS has said that the outcome is not near what he expected but says doesnt offer much in answers to the problems except for maybe trying PT and orthotics.
    I started PT in June and went for several months. Even from the beginning she felt that I needed a second opinion from a highly recommended OS out of town. I finally went in October and he said that a lot of the problems are a result of some compromised blood circulation in the oseotomies (Of course due to no negligence on the part of the first OS and that the only solution would be to surgically go in and fix it. He had thoroughly checked both foot as I have 2 hammertoes on the R foot. He suggested that I go ahead and go ahead and do both feet at the same time. His rationale is that I eventually will need to get the 2nd foot done and this way would save on anes. time, surgicenter cost and one recovery time period instead of two. Even though I see his rationale I am having a hard time even having to do a second surgery to fix the first let alone have the pain of dealing with two operated on feet.
    I am sorry for the long post but as I am stressing big time about this whole thing I thought I would see what other people who have foot problems would do if it were them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    Re: need opinions on doing foot surgery on both feet at the same time

Hi bflgs, My son's Dr suggested surgery on both feet for him (not now, in 2-3 yrs) and suggested they NOT be done at the same time, that the recovery would be harder on my son. He suggested doing them about 8 months apart, 3-4 at the least. From my own perspective, I don't have the foot problems my son has but I did have two back-to-back surgeries this year myself, not at the same time but 5&1/2 weeks apart. Mine were spinal, neck, then lower back, and it was really, really hard on me to have them so close together. It's nice for me now not having to back in for a 2nd surgery, but recovery was really tough with two areas to deal with (which I liken to both feet in your case).
    Good luck with your surgeries, whether they are at the same time or not.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

it depends on if you can have full time help. if you are weight bearing it may be a good idea.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
    LoveTennis
    (female)

LoveTennis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bflgs View Post
    I had surgery a year ago on my L foot. It was to remove a Morton's neuroma, fix a hammertoe and an oseotomy on both the 2nd and 3rd toes. The surgery and initial recovery were uneventful but the long term healing has been less than optimal. I have had ongoing problems with swelling, intermittent pain and a major problem with what the OS terms a toe drift of my 3rd toe into my fourth toe which is causing additional problems. My OS has said that the outcome is not near what he expected but says doesnt offer much in answers to the problems except for maybe trying PT and orthotics.
    I started PT in June and went for several months. Even from the beginning she felt that I needed a second opinion from a highly recommended OS out of town. I finally went in October and he said that a lot of the problems are a result of some compromised blood circulation in the oseotomies (Of course due to no negligence on the part of the first OS and that the only solution would be to surgically go in and fix it. He had thoroughly checked both foot as I have 2 hammertoes on the R foot. He suggested that I go ahead and go ahead and do both feet at the same time. His rationale is that I eventually will need to get the 2nd foot done and this way would save on anes. time, surgicenter cost and one recovery time period instead of two. Even though I see his rationale I am having a hard time even having to do a second surgery to fix the first let alone have the pain of dealing with two operated on feet.
    I am sorry for the lobng post but as I am stressing big time about this whole thing I thought I would see what other people who have foot problems would do if it were them.
    [B]Hi bflgs,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the first surgery.

I had bilateral bunion + hammertoe (2nd toe on each foot) surgery 2 months ago, and I'm glad that I had both of my feet done at the same time. The pain was really minimal and I could walk in surgical shoes the day of the surgery. The bandages were off in 10 days and I was in my gym shoes on that day, and I started PT at the same time per my doctor's order. I'm now walking almost normally and doing some swimming this week which help a great deal. Hammertoe take a long time to heal and you really have to be careful not letting the toe to flot. My doc taught me how to wrap the toe when I go the sleep.

I totally agree with your doctor's (as well as mine) suggetion of one recovery, it makes perfect sense to me.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck with your surgery!

Jean

Old 11-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

if you'll be non weight bearing.. then I'd say no.. don't get them both done at once. you really need that one foot to stand on when you can't use the other.. but if you're you're able to walk on them.. then I'd say do it and get it all over with at once. but only if you have plenty of help. good luck.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
    klbs1961
    (female)

klbs1961 HB User

I agree with catlady. Both feet at the same time could really pose difficulties! I would think twice.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
    aimski
    (female)

aimski HB User

I had both feet done 2 weeks ago and I don't think I would have been able to get through the last 2 weeks without my Mum, who has been able to help me when ever I asked her.
    It is very important to have someone to help you! I really struggled with the decision of one or both too!! but I decided the time off work/cost of it all/and making sure my mum was able to spend the time looking after me, I should do it all at once....but that's just me..hope this may have helped
    Aimski

Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
    Pegret
    (female)

Pegret HB User

If you are able to be weight bearing after surgery it might be ok. I was non-weight bearing for 7 weeks and will be again also. My surgeries were 21 weeks apart. I live alone and did the first 2 weeks recouping at the home of a friend. Doing them both at the same time would not have worked for me.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
    DancingFeet
    (female)

DancingFeet HB User

I had a bunionectomy on my left foot a week and a half ago. I am going to need to have my right foot done in the future. My doctor refused to do both at the same time. He said that you need at least one good foot to stand on. He also said that with two bad feet, you risk falling and breaking something else (like your wrists, he said).

In my vast experience of one and half weeks (; my advice would be not to do them both at the same time. I am getting very antsy to get up and get moving and I should be able to soon; however, I don't think that would be possible if I had both feet done at the same time. I will be heavily relying on my "good" foot.

Good luck with your decision. You are smart to get as much information as you can beforehand.

Closed Thread