It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneous 7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
    hockeymom18
    (female)

hockeymom18 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 7

Hi all,

Went for the 2nd opinion this morning---and I feel tons better about my heel. They did their own x-rays, he said everything is healing nicely---no joint fracture. Told me the names of everything, did measurements on the x-ray to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be. Commented that it is the strangest fracture he has ever seen, and if he were betting would guess it was somehow a result of the plantar surgery (??) Said he didn't necessarily agree with how my doctor treated it at first---he kind of freaked when I said I had been WB since day #3 after the break---but that it had worked out just fine. Said expect swelling to continue for up to 6 months, possibly longer and said there is nothing wrong with getting a 2nd opinion!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 7

Hi HockeyMom,

That is great, news....I'm really happy he was so helpful and not so glum or negative about it.

Keep us posted how you are doing.

Ed

Old 11-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
    b4us
    (male)

b4us HB User

Hi everyone
    Hope this finds everyone doing well.
    Hubby went to see his Infectious Disease doc today and he said that his white blood cell counts and another count (something that starts with a c ?)in his blood is back to normal levels. He will still continue with IV antibiotics until the first week of December but right now the infection looks like it is under control! They still are running another test to be sure his bone is doing well, make sure there is no infection growing there again, but so far so good! He also went to the first post op visit with the surgeon, and he says his foot looks good! He took him off of the wound vac, Bill says he feels a little more free now (1 less tube hanging from him!) He thinks he will have him starting WB in 2-3 weeks. I thought that was fast, but they did say his bones were healed before this last round of surgeries.?

Keep healing Heelies!
    Taysha

Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

hey taysha

glad to hear things are improving for your husband ,may have been
    c reactive protien count -just got husbands test results back and his is still high, this is his second week on antibiotic so hope by next set of tests will lower and show improvement-
    sbrew sounds like you are back to fighting mode and doing what u have to to get better.

everybody else who are back on there feet -keep up the good work!

mydd

Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Taysha,

That is great news. Keep on fightin.....

The doc and the timing is correct for WB. His heel healed after the 1st round like you said. The holes left from the screws aren't enough to weaken his heel bone AND by the time he is ready to WB the holes will be solid enough to allow WBing.

He's well on his way. Just beat the infection and then it'll be time for PT.

Thanks for the great news. We're pulling for ya.

Ed

Old 11-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
    KCguy
    (male)

KCguy HB User

Surgery 9/9/08, 3 titanium screws, no plates. Weight bearing as of yesterday November 12th.

Glad to hear about everyone having progress, my prayers are out to all of you for continued recovery and good health.

Alex

Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hello all,

Well, I finished my last PT appt today. Yeah....but sad just the same. The kind folks who helped get me walking again will no longer be in my normal routine, so it is up to me.

They told me to continue stretching and to do my exercises. He gave me a new one today, my bad foot on a 3 inch step, then raise and lower myself up and down 10 times so my good foot touches the floor. Most importantly, in control...looking straight ahead and letting my foot talk to me.

The other was the big wobble board with both feet on the board. Roll forward and back, then side to side, again under control and looking straight ahead. Overall they were impressed with the speed of my recovery but told me I have to be diligent about continuing my PT at home.

He said I will notice significant improvements the next 6-8 weeks, but will take almost a year for me to be 100%. Wow.....

I still count my blessings thinking about those on IV's, and Sbrew with her hip, ankle and leg and those who have not caught up yet. I still pray for everyone daily more to keep them sane and positive, but to continue to heal and get better.

I am still here for you guys and will check on you as well as give reports of my own progress as I discover new and learn of my own recovery.

Ed

Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

HEY ED

That is great you are done with pt!!! -
    they had told my husband (before infection set back) that it would take a year to feel 100% after all is done- but just think how far you have come already-stay posted with us so one day i can tell you that my husband is done with pt too!

MYDD

Old 11-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi mydd,

I'm looking forward to hearing about your husbands progress and to hear that he is walking again one day. Don't hesitate to ask me anything.

I'm putting together a list of exercises so I can copy and paste the exercises I went thru and what they will do for him. This way I don't have to go back to the previous boards etc....

I'm not leaving you guys.....the people who broke their heels before me, helped me tremendously too.

Ed

Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Heelies, surgery 7/15

hey Ed what do you mean your done with PT good for you. I still have to go for punishment, but I feel it's heepling.

Great news Taysha and Mydd am pulling for your hubbies.

Sbrew, glad yuo got the second opinon.

Alex, congrats on WB.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Last edited by moderator2; 11-14-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: please stay on topic

Old 11-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #11
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Joe,

I had my last PT appt yesterday. Insurance won't pick up anymore, however, I did fulfill my docs request of twice a week for 8 weeks. The PT told me to continue doing my work and stretches as it will still take some time.

I'll miss them.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Ed

Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Heelies, surgery 7/15

Ed, if they give me any new and diabolical exercises I will pass them on to you and eveyone else of course. I did my calf stretches yesterday, straight and bent knee and my foot blew up and hurt like hell. I will check with PT on Monday as to why.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Joe

Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Ed,
    Glad to hear you are doing so well, although I have been going to PT for last 5 months, because I only go approx. once a month, you have probably had as much PT as me.I religiously do my exercises in between sessions and it really does help.
    I have at last gone on to the cane outside but nothing indoors, it still hurts unless I take pain meds. but I find my walking greatly improved now that I am not relying on the crutch. I think we all have to plan for a year before best improvement but I was able to travel on my own by bus yesterday and that was great.

Keep in touch

Pat

Old 11-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
    electrician
    (male)

electrician HB User

hello all hope everyone is doing well. Looks like some of you are getting to PT yipiee.

Alex, Notice you and I have same surg date I have 2 plates 11 pins. Dr appt 11-20 hopefully wb at this time. what is it like? probably hurts. did you need to continue on crutches? I'm quite anctious to get to wb. other than slight discomfort at times my pain has been gone since 2nd week after surg. so I feel like my foot is ready to go.
    Keith

Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
    KCguy
    (male)

KCguy HB User

Hey everyone Surgery 9/9/08 3 titanium screws, no plates. WB as of 11/12

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days, been a little peeved over the whole censoring thing and removal of posts. I love the information we get to share and very valuable knowledge I've gained to help with my injury.

OK, so! I'm weight bearing now! Actually into my 3rd day and it's been interesting! My orthopedic just gave me a full green light on Wed. and no restrictions! I'm like ok, start with the boot, barefoot, partial weight, how much weight, etc. She just told me whatever I was comfortable with and just listen to my foot. Push it but don't overdo it. SO! since I hate my boot because it makes me walk like Frankenstein, my wife and I went straight from the doctor's office to buy some new high top sneakers. I bought them 1/2 size bigger than usual (Thanks Ed) and started walking in them with my crutches and testing just how much I could take. I walked A LOT my first day to see what my foot would take and surprisingly it did quite well. Not near the swelling that night as I expected, but I still iced it and got my daily massage from my wife. She's also massaging my scar now(again thanks Ed!)

Another curve ball my doctor threw me was telling me she wasn't recommending PT. I asked why she thought that, said that I was pretty strong, could tell I had done a lot of ROM exercises and should just keep working on them. But I can tell you I will begin doing my own PT in a couple weeks.

Anyhow, no pain at all in the heel, but the ligaments, tendons and muscles will definitely rebel on you when you start WB. I don't listen much to the aching, I just press on. I'm doing about 50 to 75% WB with my crutches. I can do 100 percent, but then I have to limp some and that's not the way to do it because then you're not taking proper heel to toe steps. I seem to be getting a little stronger every day and I'll keep posting progress to try and help the rest of you who are about to start WB. At the 10 day mark I hope to drop the crutches, we'll see!

Today I actually drove to the grocery store for a few items, put my crutches in the shopping cart and walked pushing the shopping cart and holding myself up some with the cart. I limped a little but some pretty women smiled at me so I had to act tough! Ha!

Keith
    I hope what I mentioned above helps you. Your heel bone will be healed and not hurt when you start WB, just all the tightness and weakness in the tendons, ligaments and muscles. I'm doing knee bends and toe presses to stretch everything back out.

Joe
    Thanks for thinking about me, I'm attacking WB with a vengeance.

mydd and Taysha
    I'm very happy your husbands keep making progress and beating the infections. I look forward to you both discussing their WB progress soon!

Ed
    Congratulations! You're sad that you're finished with PT, you must have a pretty woman as a therapist. Just kidding! Hope you keep hanging around and giving us great tips!

Sbrew
    Keep attacking, you're awesome! Great positive mental attitude!

Carole
    I'm so happy for you and all the milestones you keep achieving!

Pat
    Congratulations on continued progress. I'm happy for you!

Keep healing everyone, stay positive and remember you walked just fine before the injury, no reason why you can't or won't afterwards! My prayers continue to go out to all of you!

Alex

Closed Thread