It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• osteotomy screw

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User
    osteotomy screw

Hi all....I read about some "screw" issues on another thread and I have had questions so I thought I would start a topic on it.

I had my tendon transfer/osteotomy surgery about 10 weeks ago. I am walking cast free now but I am having a hard time with shoes. The swelling is still there but the bigger issue now is the site where the screw was placed. For this whole recovery I have not been able to feel the screw through the skin BUT just recently I can feel it...a little bump. This area is soooo sensitive so I cannot bear a shoe rubbing there. I still have soreness in the heel when being on the foot for a period of time but not really pain. It is just really sensitive at that screw site like I said.

I can wear shoes with no back for now.....just wondering about other "screw" stories....keep it clean guys!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
    smile2006
    (female)

smile2006 HB User
    Re: osteotomy screw

Clean story, promise....

Where exactly is your screw? I'm wondering because you said you are OK with shoes with no backs. My screw site is more toward the underneath side of the heel. Not all the way underneath but sort of at the point where the curve is being made to the heel (hard to describe but more under than on top). I can't feel the screw at all but I still have some calloused skin on that area. Is it possible your screw is pushing itself out a bit? I think I read that happened to someone. Maybe give the doctor a call.

I'm tooling along with running but want to do a lot more than I can do at this point. My foot is gaining strength slowly but I just want to fastforward a month or two. Good luck with the screw issue.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User

So if you are standing can you see the screw site on your heel or is it like you are stepping on it? Mine must be higher up. It's irritating!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
    smile2006
    (female)

smile2006 HB User

No you can't see it (my screw site) standing. It just under the curve to the heel but not all the way under the heel. Sorry, it's really hard to explain

Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
    surelynine
    (female)

surelynine HB User

Hi
    I had the screw removed from my heel which was pretty much located straight in the back of my heel. Quite often the screws do have a tendency to back out and cause pain and/or discomfort. Being only 10 weeks out of surgery, it could be that it is still healing and may improve with time. If it does not improve, you'll probably want to have it removed. You should talk to your surgeon about it.
    Rita

Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
    MasonQ
    (female)

MasonQ HB User

Smile - I know exactly the spot you are talking about. The curve underneath.
    Hurts - Are you talking about that heinous deep "hole" on the back of your heel we had so much trouble with?
    Is that where they put the screws in or was it on the outside of the heel?
    And where do they take them out? Thru existing incision? Like the one I'm frantically massaging to break up the scar tissue?

I was released to FWB Friday (yeah) altho I'm still having quite a bit of pain in my heel.
    EXACTLY like I'm stepping on a stone. Not sore at all like a bruise - and not exactly tender. Like walking on a marble. And a little numb.
    Dr and the PT said plantar fasciatis (however you spell that) from the boot. They both said the same thing so it must have validity but it feels... what? harder? more like somethings IN there (go fig) than something pulling.

When I told the doc about the heel pain (accompanied by zero ankle pain) he got that look on his face like he had when he said he was going to "kinda" break my heel. I was in a hurry and didn't push him. It is what it is - right? But I think this heel pain has to be the screws. I did tell him that it was bad enough that I was taking half a Vicodin once or twice a day. He said that was fine. I do think - call me cynical - that as long as I can walk, my incision looks good and the xrays are fine, he thinks his work is done. The rehab, the pain, the hobbling - well, that's a tiny bit beneath him. He is so sweet and will listen listen listen but then never really says anything of value. That's where the good PT therapist is key.

Do you guys get the "waves" of pain there? I call it "Northern Lights" pain because it zooooms in then zooooms out. Sometimes regularly (labor pains) and sometimes randomly. Hurts enough to make me "ug" but not enough to slow me down. Spasms? Nerve pain? Screws collaborating their efforts to get free? what?

I have to say - in all this griping - that it's good to be released to do things at my own pace!! Dr. basically said, "You are still going to hurt, but you are not going to hurt yourself." So wear a shoe when you can, wear the boot, use a crutch, whatever. (and I'm doing all three plus the wheelchair first thing in the morning and sometimes at nite) but knowing that the pain is just pain and not the complete crash and burn we have feared for 2 months is a relief. (I do plan on rockin' that boot & wheelie while the 19 people we have coming for Tgiving weekend are here... I think I will have a miraculous breakthrough around Sunday noon. I haven't even told my husband - he's out of town. What? So I'll fake it! .........OK, Hurts - there's your "screw" storyline you were worried about - you think I could resist that???)

I'm hoping we will hear from someone on the board who has had this heel pain and will tell us it will go away as we get more used to FWB! I'm so OVER this whole experience (esp here at the holidays) and not ready to anticipate a) continuing pain or b) another surgery. At least we're all in this together! (in a anonymous, faceless, web-based, virtual kind of way....)

Here's to catering, girls!! Mason

Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User

Mason you are so brave to host 19 people post op! I would be freaking out! I know I could do it at this point but I would reget it later. It would require lots of wine for sure!

My screw site is higher up than the "curve". It is really sensitive and it is uncomfortable to wear a shoe. I still have heel soreness but not really pain. BUT once in a while I get the "waves" too. Right now I think the surgery foot is so much better off than the one waiting for it's surgery day. I have my other "bad" foot to occupy my thoughts now....it is very painful.

I want to say that I agree about the doctor thing. Once their work is done and the x-rays look good, they seem to want to be done with it all. My doc is so positive, he never told me any of the "bad" stuff that was coming my way post op and when I brought it up he would say it was "normal". That is a good thing though. They can't dwell on our issues too much or we would too! When he did not make a big deal out of things....then I could let it go easier. BUT that is why we come HERE! My doctor did NOT have this surgery....some of YOU did and only those who have had it can compare notes the way we do! So thanks to all of you for your stories and help over these last weeks/months.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
    MasonQ
    (female)

MasonQ HB User

"Not dead yet! Made it thru Tgiving! How bout ya'll?

Heel still hurts. Joint - not at all! I could be going so much longer without the heel pain. Still swells like crazy but recedes when I put it up. I have a compression thingie that helps. But getting into more shoes (albiet not "Dallas" shoes..) Went out quite a bit over the holiday and was rewarded by waves of applause for being cast/crutch/boot-free!

Taking the wheelchair back today (3 months!). Getting there!!!
    Got a pedicure!! Heaven!!! Stood up to take a shower! Little things, huh...

What's up with everyone's heel pain? That's my only whine.
    How long are ya'll comfortably walking? 30 min? 2 hrs? all day?

Talk to me about screw removal.... when? what incision?

Scars? What are you all doing about that mess?

And how's the PT coming?

Curious what everyone is doing!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User

yes! good bye wheel chair! I loved putting that thing away!

I found some shoes I could stand for now. I am able to be walking for about 30 minutes before I have had it! I thought I would be better off at this point
    (3 months) but one day at a time I guess!

I would like to have my screw removed because I think it is bothering me....soooo sensitive at the site. But I have not talked to my doc about it....just being patient for now.

My scars are not sooo bad. I had a previous one that the doc went right over (through) for the tendon part so I was already used to some ugliness. The osteotomy site gets pretty sore/sensitive at times. Vitamin E and massage!

I took some extra time away from work but I head back tomorrow! I am nervous about walking around all day......I will be doing my best to rest when I can! I am not as "advanced" as some of the others here who have headed back to work earlier......I envy their recovery!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
    smile2006
    (female)

smile2006 HB User

Hey Hurt2walk and Mason Q-

Best of luck to Hurst2walk on your return to work. Hopefully all will go well with that.

MasonQ- Good to hear from you. I'm doing pretty well. My osteotomy site/screw don't seem to be a problem at the moment even with activity such as running. I had a bout of lateral ankle pain last week when running but it seems to have eased up. I'm currently thinking I was busting through scar tissue and that was what was causing pain. That has been worrying me a bit but I ran today pain free. Arch area feels great and I'm actually able to hop (one foot) on my surgery foot a bit so it is finally feeling stronger. I do have a vein that is sort of bumped up just below the medial scar that feels weird. My doctor said it could be dealt with easily but didn't elaborate. It doesn't cause pain but just feels weird if I press on it. I want to have him look at it soon (like before the new year when I have to start over with insurance deductibles!!!!). Anyway, like Hurts2walk I don't really have a problem with the scars. They are just there but seem to be diminishing. I can wear most shoes now other than heels which just torque my ankle to much (don't wear those often anyway). Relative to PT, I was released from PT at the 12 weeks mark. I still do the activities, especially stretching on my own. (-: Happy recovery to all!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Hey, the old "veteran" says that heel pain is normal. It bothered me more than anything else post-op, even more than the PTT incision. When standing for a while my heel would start aching. Of course the time I could stand would increase as time went on but the heel pain was always there to some degree. I had my screw removed at 6 months, which my doctor said was the minimum.

But, if the screw is backing out it should be clearly visible on x-ray and they would deal with that right away. My pain was better after screw removal but even 3 years afterwards that spot is still slightly tender to pressure and in fact the screw hole was still visible on my last MRI. It is almost completely filled in. My doctor said 2-3 years so I guess I'm right on track.

Hope this helps. Ask if you have any other questions.

emmie

Last edited by emmie54; 12-01-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Closed Thread