It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• May I PLEASE just VENT?!?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
    Starrbelie123
    (female)

Starrbelie123 HB User
    May I PLEASE just VENT?!?!

I HATE CRUTCHES AND NWB!!!! Sorry, I knew you guys would understand! I missed a step, fell and sustained an acute true Jones fracture in my left foot(that's a fracture in zone 2 of the 5th metatarsal) on October 25th. Of all the fractures in all the bones of the body this one has the highest rate of non-union and is the slowest to heal due to poor blood flow. The bone was non-displaced and 3 days later I was placed in a fiberglass cast. Two weeks later x-rays were done and the bone had shifted and would require ORIF to heal. Luckily, my OS (who is a friend) had talked to another OS who said that he had not had good luck with Jones fractures without ORIF and we had already scheduled surgery. I had an ORIF on Nov. 14th. I went home with a posterior splint and 4 days later was having horrible pain in my heel. I am a nurse and I work with my OS's wife and when she stopped by to check on me I told her about it and she took off the splint. I was close to having a pressure ulcer on my heel. She put me in a boot but still NWB. I went back for my one week post-op visit and was told 4 more weeks NWB. I cried all the way home(an hour and a half drive), I don't know what I expected exactly but not 4 more weeks. I still have 3 more weeks to go and I wonder if I will make it. I want to throw these dang crutches off a cliff. I am so tired of relying on others to do things for me. Just getting ready for work each morning wears me out. I have a desk job so that's not a problem. And everyone at work has gone out of their way to be helpful but I am the one who is usually helping them. I don't like being the one needing help. I'm sorry I have ranted and rambled so long. I am just frustrated! Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
    relteach
    (female)

relteach HB User
    Re: May I PLEASE just VENT?!?!

Hi Starr,

I can truly empathize with you. I had a true jones fracture on 3/1/07 that was not displaced and my pod. surgeon decided to try to avoid surgery, because if the bone will acheive union, it will be stronger in the long run. But you are correct that it is the worst break one can sustain. I spent 15 weeks NWB in a fiberglass cast using crutches and being totally dependant on others. I then spent another 12 weeks in a boot moving from NWB to PWB to FWB over that period. I managed to heal without ORIF, but it was a LONG... haul. I totally understand the frustration and even anger at being so dependent. One thing I learned was that others really DO want to help and the best thing I could do was to offer to do the tedious tasks that others hate. I, too, was the one who tended to take charge and help others. What I learned was that when they had to step up, they could do more than they thought and that they really felt good helping me. Now this realization came quite a ways into this experience, it was not something that I really thought about during the NWB times.

You will make it through the next few weeks. Just make sure to take it literally one day at a time. If you focus on the end, it will be that much harder. Just try each day to have a good day that day, and so on. Let others help you, because they really do want to help.

Come back and let us know how you are doing!!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
    Starrbelie123
    (female)

Starrbelie123 HB User

Thanks Relteach! Your posts about your recovery helped me decide to go ahead with the ORIF. I couldn't fathom being NWB for 12 weeks! I'll wear this boot forever and be happy about it if I can just get off these crutches. On some level I know I will make it through but this weekend has been hard. This is the weekend I get my house ready for Christmas. I usually do some really deep cleaning (baseboards, cabinets, fridge) before I put up the decorations. I take my kids to get the tree and put it up. This year they went without me, they are all teenagers and did a good job. But, I missed it and the house is still a wreck! I did a little in the kitchen yesterday but it wore me out. Walking is the only thing I have energy for anymore. I can't even imagine Christmas shopping. Thanks for letting me vent, again. My family thinks I'm just being a baby when I cry in frustration.

Last edited by Starrbelie123; 11-30-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I know how rough it is being NWB for a long time. Maybe there's a store near you where they lend out scooters, so you could at least do a little shopping and get out of the house. (Or, you could do it all from catalogues! My mother is obsessed with catalogues.)

But hang in there. You will get through this.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
    sanell
    (female)

sanell HB User

I just got the ok for PWB after 7 weeks NWB for a big toe fusion. I have 2 mastectomies, and, although crutches do not go to the underarm, I was very very nervous about aggravating lymphedema with crutches. They do rent knee walkers, but I made one out of a shower chair - attached casters to the legs and reinforced the legs so they didn't bend out. You can also use a wheeled office chair at the lowest position. It was a godsend especially in the kitchen, because my hands were free. Maybe something like that can work for you, too. I am also a nurse, and not the most "patient patient". Good luck to you.
    ellen

Old 11-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hang in there. i am going to probably have another surgery, also. i want to scream and run away. i think the scooter is a great idea.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
    akirka
    Veteran
    (female)

akirka HB User

I was 3 months NWB and had a a knee scooter the last month. A Roller-Aid and it had a basket and a drink holder. It made the last month a lot more sane and even a little fun. Definitely look into getting one of these!!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User

This has been a fun thread! Its nice to relate to everyone...I'm a very very optimistic person and one that doesnt like to ask for help but some things I just really cant do! Some of the really crappy things are:

Showers! ugh! A 15 min job turned into 45 min!

Vacuming! Impossible!

Bending down to pick things up that you drop! Almost impossible without falling over!

Getting out of bed to take a quick pee is now "getting out of bed to take a long hop to the bathroom to take a pee and waking yourself up to the point that you have to watch tv the rest of the night"

OH, there is more...lots more. That is just a start! BUT! It will be more than worth it when we're all done! (i still have one more foot to go next winter...some of you are ahead of me!)

Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
    Starrbelie123
    (female)

Starrbelie123 HB User

Thanks Guys! I knew I could count on ya'll to understand just how frustrating this is. I tried the rolling chair at work but my office is like an obstacle course and it was just too much trouble. I have things worked out now so all I have to get up for is the bathroom. I'm just not sure about the scooter. Thanks for the encouragement! I know I can make it. I'm just tired of feeling helpless.

Melissa-- I have given up using my crutches to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I just crawl! Not too bad until I get to the cold tile of the bathroom. That's a real eye opener! If you want a good laugh you should see me trying to make the bed. I finally figured out the only way to do it was on my knees and to crawl. Last night in the tub I was admiring the skin on my left heel. The callouses are getting softer but then I noticed they have moved to my hands and knees. Oh well! So much for vanity when your NWB!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
    uff da
    (female)

uff da HB User

Hi All
    Crutches are so much more fun when they are someone else's that you can hand back after a "stroll" down the hallway. I know to focus on the end... It's somewhere down that long tunnel. Can you tell I've got cabin fever. I want to go play outside in the snow. Somehow wondering if the cleats are going to ball up and outwards with snow just isn't the same. Focusing on a bright side- my balance on my "good" foot is so much better now than it was 2 months ago.
    Enjoy the day

Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
    sanell
    (female)

sanell HB User

As long as we are having fun here, allow me to share my crutch story. I waited for the rain to stop, and crutched out to the mailbox. Upon retrieving the mail, I realized I did not have anything to carry it in, so I thought I would tuck it into the waistband of my pants. In doing this, I lost my balance and fell into a rainpuddle in the street - all the while protecting the rt foot. As luck would have it, not a soul was out, and no cars came down the street, so I was on my own. Using the handholds as the top part of the crutches, I wrestled myself back onto my left foot. The mail was now in the crotch of my pants. By the time I made it to the house, it had migrated down my pantleg. Knees were all scraped up, pants pretty much ruined, and I was soaked. So much for my expertise with the dreaded crutches..........

Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User

Here is another lovely crutch story in addition to my others and so many of your others....

Just today I was crutching in the kitchen (wooden floor) I was going at a good clip just minding my own business when the left crutch slipped and flew out to the side. To stop myself from falling I proceeded to flail my arms to catch my balance all while balancing on my right leg and the "suspect" crutch still in my grasp. Once I regained full control of myself, I inspected the "suspect" crutch and noticed that the rubber on the bottom was worn off. No more speed crutching for me!

And to the person who wrote the last post, I myself have carried mail and other misc things down in my under pants. That way they dont fall down your leg pant! Dont tell anyone!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

ha ha! My story: my crutch slipped and I fell face first in a mud puddle because I was trying to hold my foot up in the air. But the cast had scooped up some muddy water so when I stuck my foot back down to crutch my muddy self back to the house it rolled all the way to the bottom of the cast.

When I called the doctor's office the nurse freaked out: "muddy water? On your incision? Get in here asap!" When they cut it off it was sort of gross but no water had gotten on my incision sites so all was good. AND I got to get a new cast which fit better anyway. So, in the end, nothing hurt but my pride. :=)

emmie

Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
    WelshGirl80
    (female)

WelshGirl80 HB User

May I rant too! I broke my 5th Metatarsol on Sunday 11th Jan and been off my feet for 4weeks! I am now using both feet but still feeling pain. I've got a walking boot which straps over my bad foot and I find it hard. My Mum is driving me up the wall. She keeps pushing me to walk normally and get along without crutches! I did try that but felt unstable but she kept telling me it's in my head! Now please tell me can I walk without crutches and get upstairs on both feet? Or is my Mum being unfair?!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
    relteach
    (female)

relteach HB User

Pain is an indication that healing is still needed and if you are in pain, you should NOT be putting weight on your foot. The weight adds pressure to the bone and will not allow the broken ends to fuse making healing a very slow process. Believe me, I understand and I believe that you know the pain you are in and need to have a frank discussion with your doc and have him/her discuss this with your mum. Insist on using the crutch as long as you have pain and are unsteady, especially on stair where extra pressure is exerted on the foot while transitioning to the next level. Keep the faith...

Closed Thread