It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Flat foot re-construction surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Barrington123
(male)

Barrington123 HB User
Post Flat foot re-construction surgery

I visited the Dr. about six months ago, and again just today. They say I am a surgery candidate for flat foot re-construction surgery. They also suggested a cortosion shot following a MRI to mask the pain until surgery on Feb 20th because the way I explained the pain as if it were like knocking your ankels together. At what point do you decide surgery is for me. Has it benefited you, and would you encourage it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User
Re: Flat foot re-construction surgery

Barrington,
I had a triple arthodesis for flat foot reconstruction on Sept. 2. The pain before was much like I was walking on the tip of my tibia rather than on my foot. Or like my leg bone was touching the ground through my foot. The hardest part of the surgery, after initial surgical pain (about 3 hard days for me) was remaining non-weight bearing for the 12 weeks my surgeon required. However, today I had my 3 1/2 month appt. and I'm allowed to work towards full-weight bearing, wean off the boot I've been wearing since 10 weeks and start my new life. I'm in physical therapy to help with the walking and range of motion, which I love and really helps. Some people who have had the same surgery as I have returned to work within some weeks. Because I teach and do most of my work on my feet, I took a semester off (had adequate sick leave accrued.) So for me the boredom and non-weight was the greatest problem. Also, I was not a good candidate for crutches or a roller-aid which many people use to get around more than I did after the surgery.

Bottom-line, my surgeon smiled today as he said in a few more months I'll be more excited that I did it. And today, for the first time, I really believed it and thought about wearing sandals next summer which I haven't been able to do for years.

Linda

Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Barrington123
(male)

Barrington123 HB User

Linda,

Thanks, I am the point where I need to make a decision soon. I have a 3 year old and one due in July. I feel like I should hurry up and get the surgery before the new baby comes. By July do you think I will be able to do just about anything. When you say non weight bearing- are you referring to a walking cast, or bed riddin? How soon can I go back to work? did you use a wheelchair for the first couple weeks?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Actually, I used a wheelchair throughout the 3 months. But those that can use crutches or the roller-aid which allows you to kneel on the leg that had foot surgery seemed to get around better. However, it's different for everyone.

I'm wondering, though, if you should consider this while you're pregnant. It does require some pretty heavy pain-killers at first. Those that would know better, please chime in. That said, I would think you would be in good shape by July but you would need some help for awhile with your 3 year old. I have no children so I really don't know.

Also, I'm 56 and had knee-replacement surgery 3 months before the foot so I was less mobile than many others have been. Perhaps some of you younger ones with children know some better thoughts here?
Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington123 View Post
Linda,

Thanks, I am the point where I need to make a decision soon. I have a 3 year old and one due in July. I feel like I should hurry up and get the surgery before the new baby comes. By July do you think I will be able to do just about anything. When you say non weight bearing- are you referring to a walking cast, or bed riddin? How soon can I go back to work? did you use a wheelchair for the first couple weeks?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
barr123
(male)

barr123 HB User

Im the same person as barrington123 I for got my password and had to sign up again, I go in for surgery this friday, 2 days in the Hospital, major recovery ahead of me. All in all I will have six procedures done to my foot. A little nervous

Barr123 aka Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribytoo View Post
Actually, I used a wheelchair throughout the 3 months. But those that can use crutches or the roller-aid which allows you to kneel on the leg that had foot surgery seemed to get around better. However, it's different for everyone.

I'm wondering, though, if you should consider this while you're pregnant. It does require some pretty heavy pain-killers at first. Those that would know better, please chime in. That said, I would think you would be in good shape by July but you would need some help for awhile with your 3 year old. I have no children so I really don't know.

Also, I'm 56 and had knee-replacement surgery 3 months before the foot so I was less mobile than many others have been. Perhaps some of you younger ones with children know some better thoughts here?
Linda

Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
hurts2walk
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Tell us what procedures you are having and you will get a ton of information from those who have had the same procudures.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Barrington123
(male)

Barrington123 HB User

hey there, actually I am 4 weeks post-op, second cast and off the meds. I am still not clear to return back to work yet as the swelling has not stopped. I had flat foot re-construction surgery..one fusion in the heel and the other in the arch, achillies tendon was cut to create flex of the arch and 5 screws. My big question is when and how is going back to work?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Barrington123
(male)

Barrington123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington123 View Post
hey there, actually I am 4 weeks post-op, second cast and off the meds. I am still not clear to return back to work yet as the swelling has not stopped. I had flat foot re-construction surgery..one fusion in the heel and the other in the arch, achillies tendon was cut to create flex of the arch and 5 screws. My big question is when and how is going back to work?

Closed Thread