It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Unconventional Turf Toe

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
looneybin
(female)

looneybin HB User
Unconventional Turf Toe

I call it unconventional because rather than running, dancing, or playing some sport, I did it getting everyone's attention by fallling down the bleachers. When it happened, I was sure that I broke my first metatarsal head, but the x-ray was negative. The initial redness and swelling was tremendous and I put a walking cast on it so that I could put some weight on it. Anyway, after about a week and a half, I took the boot off but couldn't wear regular shoes due to pain and swelling. I had to buy Crocs because nothing else would fit. On occasion when I have tried to put regular shoes or God forbid a heal back on, I am in agony within a few hours and pay for days.

So, about 2 months have passed and I am still having significant pain and tenderness. My doctor said we could x-ray it again after the first week if I didn't feel better, but I did feel better so I didn't go. Unfortunately, I didn't keep getting better. My question to all of you is:

Does this sound like a normal recovery to turf toe or does it sound like I should get it x-rayed again?

I have come to grips that my days of stylish shoes are probably gone, but I'd like to be able to wear something other than Crocs without experiencing great pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Unconventional Turf Toe

Where are you and what kind of doctor did you go to? Sounds like you should have been NWB at the beginning.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
looneybin
(female)

looneybin HB User

I was on crutches for a few days until the pain subsided enough to use the boot alone. I am in NW Illinois.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
looneybin
(female)

looneybin HB User

I failed to mention that the inside of my foot is swollen like I have a bunion or something yet my toe is still perfectly straight.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would go see a sports med ortho who specializes in feet.

Closed Thread