It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

relief from TTS from custom orthotics?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
relief from TTS from custom orthotics?

Hi, I am new to the Foot Board, but not HealthBoards.

I was diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome this past week. My podiatrist fitted me for orthotics which should be in within 2 weeks. My question is, has anyone had relief just with orthotics?

He also prescribed Lyrica, but I'm reluctant to start it. I'm not in a lot of pain - just constant awareness of discomfort. It gets worse later in the day or if I go barefooted. So I am reluctant to start meds for something that could cause me to have a seizure if I go off of it.

Has anyone had relief from TTS just from custom orthotics?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: relief from TTS from custom orthotics?

I've had it for years and got some injections to bring down the inflammation. I never needed or was offered orthotics until recently being diagnosed also with plantar faciitis. I'm also not in a lot of pain from Tarsal Tunnel, not enough to take medication for it. Have taken anti inflammatory meds in the past. I don't have hot burning nerve pain from the Tarsal Tunnel, it is more edge of the heal pain. Once in a while for me it feels like when your foot falls asleep and then wakes up.

The plantar faciitis on the other hand is killing me with pain but I still don't want to take nerve pain medication. There's too many side effects.

What do your orthotics look like? Are they made to support your arch or heel?

Last edited by taape; 12-20-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
geggar
Inactive
(male)

geggar HB User

Don't think I would take Lyrica unless I was having significant pain that wasn't responding to any treatment. The way orthotics may help would to prevent pronation which sometimes puts a little tension on the nerve or if the posterior tibial tendon is putting pressure on the nerve.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Thank you for writing taape and jcpelly!

I don't know what the orthotics will look like. I didn't even ask. I figured I was getting them regardless of what they looked like. Dumb move, but I'm sure they'll be fine. I was "fitted" last Tuesday. The doctor wrapped my foot in gauzy stuff and held my foot in the position he wanted it in and waited for the caste to dry. Then he peeled it off.

I suspect the purpose, as you said jcpelly, is to keep my foot from pronating. I don't know if it will just support the arch (which I'm sure it will) or the heel, too.

I go back in 2 weeks to get the orthotics. I'm currently using various store-bought orthotics. Some I can't even tell are in my shoe. One is quite stiff, but doesn't hit where I need it to for support. I am looking forward to getting custom made ones.

Thanks again for writing. I'll let ya'll know how the new orthotics go after I get them.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
hurts2walk
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

I had surgery for Tarsal Tunnel (nerve release) about 7 years ago. I had/have sugnificant pain and the orthodics did not help me. Maybe it was too late for me since I was to the point of surgery. The ortodics I have now do help (had PTTD surgery almost 4 months ago.) Before my TTS surgery I did find some relief wearing a ankle support type brace. I purchased it over the counter and it offered more support than my orthodics. Did you have an EMG test? I agree that I would not take the meds unless it gets worse. I never took them....lots of side effects.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hey hurts2 walk,
At what point did you decide to have surgery? Were you unable to walk? I'm just curious because several years back a doctor wanted to do surgery but I could walk around pretty well so I decided to decline.

Maybe these orthotics for plantar faciitis aren't such a bad idea if they will help tarsal tunnel.

Pickle Eyes,
yes, let us know how the new orthotics work.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
hurts2walk
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

taape: I was in constant pain for about a year while doctors told me I had arthritis etc. Finally I got the diagnosis...after the EMG test. I had nerve entrapment so I was told the only thing to help it was surgery. I had/have flat feet and my ankles pronate...that was entrapping the nerves (like a garden hose going around a corner). My feet never really got "better" after that surgery. I have a structural problem and that was not changed. Years went by and I ended up rupturing the posterior tendons in each foot so then I had the PTTD surgery. I still have nerve issues.

Closed Thread