It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Triple arthrodesis Jan 15 and have questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
lovelyladi
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Triple arthrodesis Jan 15 and have questions

I am brand new to this board. I have been reading the more recent threads. I am getting ready for a triple arthodesis on Jan 15. I have put this off for probably 10 years because I am afraid of the imobility of the surgical recovery, but now I can hardly walk and must so it. I will have 1 night in the hospital and I will be in a cast for at least 12 weeks 6+ non weight bearing. Although I have had numerous surgeries in my life I am terrified of the recovery period for this one.

I have read on these boards about an ice cuff contraption for swelling. Does this work with a cast or does one use it after the cast is removed?

I hope I will be able to go out of the house sometimes after the first month. I have ordered a knee walker because I am afraid I will not be able to hop on my other leg for crutches,(I am 60 yo) and my surgeon discourages the use of a wheel chair. How has the knee walker worked for people?

The Following User Says Thank You to lovelyladi For This Useful Post:
buff418 (06-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Triple arthrodesis Jan 15 and have questions

Knee walker is a great thing. Just don't get Invacare brand, I found it dangerously unstable. Rolleraid or Turning Leg Caddy is better.

Best of luck!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User

The recovery is do-able. I'm almost 4 mos. out and did 12 weeks NWB. It was hard at times but with books, TV, sewing and some good friends, I've gotten through. I wonder why your surgeon discouraged a wheel chair? I found it necessary, especially for getting out. I know my surgeon discouraged a scooter because of dependency. I am 56 and have had knee replacement both knees, the 2nd one 3 months before my T.A. on the same leg so I was unable to use the knee walker (which probably would have made life much easier!) I know several people have said practice with it, if you can, before surgery. I did my "hopping" with a regular walker because it gave me better balance than crutches. But my "good" leg did get awfully tired. With good upper body strength, you will do well after a period of adjustment.

I didn't use the ice cuff nor much icing while in cast - but a lot more now that I'm walking. Many have mentioned icing behind the knee because of nerves that run to the foot from behind the knee. But I do know that some of the cold from icing does make it through the cast.

It is a long recovery but if you prepare - getting together books you will enjoy or projects you can do sitting (not to mention time on the computer!) or getting a network of friends and family to spend some time with you, you will make it through.

The following user gives a hug of support to scribytoo:
bonn7177 (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
catldyfromnpt
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

hi.. welcome.. I think most of the people here put the surgery off for the same reason. I had TA on June 12th. its a VERY long recovery. you find ways to keep busy. the first month or so you won't feel like doing much anyway. I kept busy with the computer (especially these boards!) tv, books, etc. the time actually goes by fast.. I didn't use the knee walker, I didn't find this board til about a month after my surgery (otherwise I probably would have put it off again. lol) and by then I was used to my walker. I felt totally unsteady on crutches. I do have a wheelchair for when I go to the doctors or to get xrays. its easier. and ALWAYS keep a shoe on your other foot. prevents you from slipping, and gives your other foot support and the cushion helps as well. the first month I hopped around barefoot and my entire body ached constantly. since wearing a shoe, I've noticed a huge improvement. I've heard of the cyro-cuff, but didn't use one. I just used an ice pack behind my knee and kept my leg elevated.
best of luck with your surgery and if you have any questions.. feel free to ask. one of us will know the answer. we've all (unfortunately!!) been there!
~Maryanne

Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
shelleybutn
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

wheel chairs are nice just to get out of house. not necessarily to use all the time. def check into one, that way you can take trips out....to grocery store, etc. my husband would push me around, sometimes not so successfully i had a triple may 9th and am finally pretty normal now. going for walks and such.

ice definately does help, and does go through cast. i had a machine with a cuff and pump, it pumped cold water thru cuff for about 10-12 hours. so nice. would sleep with it. def made it feel better.

didn't use a knee scooter, i used crutches for everything, but i am only 31! sorry guys and def wear a good tennis shoe on other foot. if you are like us, your other foot is painful also. the shoe helped a lot. more support.

good luck, don't fret. it's totally worth it.
shelley

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
lovelyladi
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Thanks so much for the input and support...I admit I am sort of freaking.

I am buying everything I can possibly b4 the surgery but I have some more questions...hoping for realistic answers...

I bought a shower stool, hand held sprayer and ordered a waterproof cast cover. Do I need anything else to take a shower?

Will I need someone at home with me the first 2 weeks during the day? My husband works long hours and often weekends and I do not have any family near me or close friends who could stay with me. I would need to hire a home health worker (doable if needed). Mostly I am afraid of trying to get to the bathroom and falling. I will have a knee walker, walker and crutches (and now plan on getting a wheel chair after everyone's input)

Do I need a raised toilet seat? (an embaressing question)

Anything else I need to know but do not know enough to ask?

Shelly (another one)

Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Shelly,
Feel free to ask any questions. As far as the shower, I had some problems with leakage with my cast cover. The style I had just had a hole that was supposed to seal around my leg but it leaked, slightly and my cast got wet and had to be replaced. If you have a similar kind of cover my solution was to put a garbage bag taped closed over it. It just made me feel safer.

My husband took a few days off of work to help me out. The biggest question about that is how you will arrange meals and get to the bathroom. Our solution was to get a commode to sit next to the bed. It really helped for the first few weeks and, frankly, I still use it occasionally at night. Got over the embarrassment fairly quickly because I was hopping on one leg and more concerned about falling. I also have a raised toilet seat which has been very helpful when being NWB. It gives more leverage for getting up. My toilet is situated between the tub and the counter. So we added a handle on the tub and it took the place of any kind of rail to help me up.

Another thing I did was clean out drawers in my nightstand to put necessities like meds, certain toiletries, even CD's. I really made a nest out of my side of the bedroom for the first few weeks. After that I traded off between the bed and the recliner. I found it too hard to get up from my couch with one leg.

As other things come to mind, feel free to ask.
Linda

Old 01-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
shelleybutn
(female)

shelly, definately shower chair, sprayer and cast cover were awesome. i just used a 5 gallon bucket, but a fancy shower chair would be amazing. at first i did the garbage bag, towel, tape thing then got a cast cover...so much easier.

i had help the first two weeks, but also had a brand new puppy! ya i know, what the hell was i thinking. but if its just you, i would say for sure the first week. after that you start to feel better and get adjusted to doing things a dif way.

and for meals, my hubby put things in tupperwares for me for each meal, and then i used a sling bag to crutch to fridge, put the stuff in, and crutch back to the recliner. and do a trial run of where you will sleep and hang out and how you will prop up your foot. constant elevation is needed! i did two pillows in bed (the long way down leg) and one on the recliner. it also works if you shove a dresser drawer Under the foot of your mattress, between mattress and box spring. then the whole bed is elevated.

as for toilet seat, it would be easier for elevated....mine is between sink and window so i basically lowered myself with my arms. very hard. but after 4 weeks could do pushups!!!!! ha ha ha.

def clear paths to everywhere. do trial runs now. get lots of yummy healthy foods, i ate canned fruits and yogurt for breakfast....helped settle my belly with the meds.

shoot more questions, always here
shelley

Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
lovelyladi
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I so appreciate the responses and support of my new "foot buddies". I have ordered so much of the necessary stuff on line that the ups guy is going to have a bad back.

I know I will have a million more questions and whines after the 15th. I am running around trying to get my life in order b4 I become a hermit

Shelly

Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
stepbystep89
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

lovelyladi,

I have tried to handle recoveries on my own to no avail. You may want to have a back up plan for daytime meals and bathroom trips for the first two weeks at least.

A couple of other helpful tips - I have a cooler beside the couch that my husband packs for me each morning - sandwich, soda, fruit, etc....
He also put a remote control clicker on the lamp in the living room, so I can turn it on and off without getting up. Works like a dream.
Please be sure to drink a lot of water. It is improtant to stay hydrated while recovering and especially while taking pain meds.

I think that is all I have for now. Good luck and keep posting!!

Step

Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
shelleybutn
(female)

oh ya, i remembered another thing...PROTEIN! go get some protein bars or shakes, it helps with recovery of muscles and healing. my body was getting soooo sore from crutching around, added protein and it helped alot. Gen Soy ones are yummy.
shelley

Old 01-04-2009, 05:38 AM   #12
JRazz
(male)

JRazz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyladi View Post
I am brand new to this board. I have been reading the more recent threads. I am getting ready for a triple arthodesis on Jan 15. I have put this off for probably 10 years because I am afraid of the imobility of the surgical recovery, but now I can hardly walk and must so it. I will have 1 night in the hospital and I will be in a cast for at least 12 weeks 6+ non weight bearing. Although I have had numerous surgeries in my life I am terrified of the recovery period for this one.

I have read on these boards about an ice cuff contraption for swelling. Does this work with a cast or does one use it after the cast is removed?

I hope I will be able to go out of the house sometimes after the first month. I have ordered a knee walker because I am afraid I will not be able to hop on my other leg for crutches,(I am 60 yo) and my surgeon discourages the use of a wheel chair. How has the knee walker worked for people?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #13
JRazz
(male)

JRazz HB User

Get ready for a GREAT deal of pain! We all forget and take for granted the simple pleasure of a pain free ste . Mw surgery was June 16... I stayed in a cast and on crutches for 7 months! Iam now walking but the pain is still intense and my gait looks as if I am a cripple! I hope my intensive 3 day aweek therapy will help but my heart tells me I will NEVER walk normal or pain free again! Sorry to be so blunt but that is the reality of a Triple Arthrosdedis ankle surgery. I wish you the best .Please let me know your outcome.

J RAZZ

Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #14
JRazz
(male)

JRazz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRazz View Post
Get ready for a GREAT deal of pain! We all forget and take for granted the simple pleasure of a pain free ste . Mw surgery was June 16... I stayed in a cast and on crutches for 7 months! Iam now walking but the pain is still intense and my gait looks as if I am a cripple! I hope my intensive 3 day aweek therapy will help but my heart tells me I will NEVER walk normal or pain free again! Sorry to be so blunt but that is the reality of a Triple Arthrosdedis ankle surgery. I wish you the best .Please let me know your outcome.

J RAZZ

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Lovelylady,
Not all triple arthrodesis is the same. Most commonly the name is given to the surgical fusion of the talocalcaneal (TC), talonavicular (TN), and calcaneocuboid (CC) joints in the foot which is what I had. While I had pain for a while following surgery that got controlled fairly quickly when I began taking my pain meds regularly, I was virtually pain free in about two weeks. Except for the aches and pains of getting around and wearing a cast, that is. I am now 4 mos. post surgery. When I began PT, I had some pain as I began more active weight bearing however I have been walking with my walker virtually pain free since Christmas day. A triple arthrodesis for hind-foot deformity or flat foot deformity doesn't typically involve the ankle but rather is used to align the foot and rebuild the arch. The whole purpose of the surgery is relief from pain. Just as knee replacement hurts like heck while you rehab it, it has the ultimate goal of relief from arthritis pain. If the ankle is involved, it will be more complex and may require more time for healing and it may affect your gait because of the loss of flexibility. I know I have some loss of flexibility in side to side motion and that will affect my walking some, especially on uneven surfaces. Even as little as a month ago, I was afraid things would never be "normal" again. But with what I'm experiencing now, I know there is the possibility of a good outcome. I may have some setbacks when I return to work.

Please don't be frightened by stories of difficult recoveries. Many people who have a good recovery don't write in as often after they get moving again.
Linda

Closed Thread