It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Tibial Spring Ligament partial tear & AIR CAST ORTHOTIC

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
    let me walk
    (female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
    Tibial Spring Ligament partial tear & AIR CAST ORTHOTIC

Hi,
    I recently learned that if the tibial spring ligament is torn/partially torn then when wearing the AIR CAST for "consevative treatment" without a heel lift could be detrimental in healing the ligament. I'm being treated for a bone bruise...partially torn deltoid ligaments, partially torn tibial spring ligament and tendon issues. HAS ANYONE every heard of wearing a heel lift (like a carbon graphite insert) while wearing the AIR CAST or CAM WALKER?

Thanks.
    Let me walk

The Following User Says Thank You to let me walk For This Useful Post:
    Dunston22 (03-23-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Tibial Spring Ligament partial tear & AIR CAST ORTHOTIC

Yes, many patients wear a small heel lift inside the CAM walker, to take pressure off certain parts of the foot. Not sure if that's right for you.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
    let me walk
    (female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
    Re: Tibial Spring Ligament partial tear & AIR CAST ORTHOTIC

Hi Janewhite1,
    I think you know my foot history (under subtalar joint injury thread). I had that recent "mishap" on 12/27/08. You advised me to see the ANKLE ORTHO TEAM immediately, which I did. Anyway...my foot pain is much better today...can sleep like a normal person. I can put a little weight on my foot in the AIR CAST...but I don't do it much.

I just need your opinion. I started my conservative therapy on 11/23/08..with the AIR CAST. I was still working in the warehouse...teaching my classes...doing my own workouts...basically not being too immobilie. Then 2 weeks later...the pain in my foot started getting pronounced...so the Dr. said NO WORK for at least 5 weeks...and advised me to use crutches sometimes. I did...and I didn't work..but I still did stuff around the house with the AIR CAST on and I was still training clients...even though there was some dull pain. SO...when that "mishap" happened on 12/27/08...while going into the shower. Do you think that I really didn't start this journey very well? Perhaps if I was TOTALLY on crutches and staying off my foot back then I'd be further along in my healing?

I'm meeting with the ANKLE PA on THursday...and I have a surgery consult on 1/22/09. My sports med doc doesn't think he can offer me anything different in treatment..but he thinks it's reasonalbe to consult with him (as he's concerned with the length of my pain....but I'm wondering if my drawn out pain is b/c I was too MOBILE with the AIRCAST in the beginning). Do you have any insight into this?

THANKS!
    Let Me Walk

The Following User Says Thank You to let me walk For This Useful Post:
    Dunston22 (03-24-2012)
    Closed Thread