It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Recovery questions: post Triple Arthrodesis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
crunch
(male)

crunch HB User
Recovery questions: post Triple Arthrodesis

I had my t.a. On 8/7/08. I spent the nite at the hospital, and came home the following day. Pain was manageable w/ the lortab and motrin. I had crutches, and the knee scooter a cousin had loaned me. Thank goodness for the scooter! I got the boot off around 10 weeks later, and started trying to walk on the fused foot. I was told to "work it" by the dr. It has been working me instead! My knee and back hurt because of the over compensating the other parts are doing. In addition, i am supinating alot and my foot really hurts after a couple of blocks of walking. The dr. Said all that is normal at five months, and will take another four months of healing. He did not order p/t, but my wife who is an orthopaedic rn got her dr (that i saw for spine problems) to get me some. I will start this asap. Will this help w/ my gait? My dpm said i don't need p/t., just to walk! The outside edges of my foot hurt from the supination. I feel i am screwing up the form of my foot walking like this. I've been reasured by the dpm that realignment is good, and fusing is taking place as planned. Any advise, or similar experiances? I'm really frustrated, and want to get back on my feet...literally!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User
Re: Recovery questions: post Triple Arthrodesis

Crunch,
I had my surgery about a month after you and followed a similar pattern except I had PT starting 12 weeks out. After a couple weeks, I had some serious pain probably brought on by trying to walk too far too soon before we really got my foot stretched out. PT did some laser treatment in and less weight bearing for a couple weeks and had me rest a bit more. By the day after Christmas I was on the right track again and haven't been experiencing much pain since except soreness in my knees and hip because my gait is off too plus the boot. Today in PT, we focused a great deal on re-training my gait. It's very messed up from the years before surgery. I really think PT is a real good answer for you. They have worked with breaking up scar tissue I didn't know was there; worked on range of motion; strengthening toes and ankle. You (and I) may still have some pain hurdles but I am confident that PT has really helped me. I started walking with a cane this week.
I wish you the very best.
Linda

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I think PT would definitely help you. I had a much much smaller foot surgery last year. Getting up and moving again wasn't hard, but it was hard to retrain my gait, because I had spend the 5 months beforehand with a severe limp and the year before that with frequent pain!

It was good to have my scars massaged more vigorously than I could get up the nerve to do on myself, and good to know how hard it was safe to push.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
shelleybutn
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

crunch, i had a ta may 9th. didn't feel real good to walk until mid november, and now feel pretty darn good. doc said it will take a year to be 100% therapy should help. just remember....you have a whole new bone shape in your foot and all the soft tissues have to get used to that.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
crunch
(male)

crunch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribytoo View Post
Crunch,
I had my surgery about a month after you and followed a similar pattern except I had PT starting 12 weeks out. After a couple weeks, I had some serious pain probably brought on by trying to walk too far too soon before we really got my foot stretched out. PT did some laser treatment in and less weight bearing for a couple weeks and had me rest a bit more. By the day after Christmas I was on the right track again and haven't been experiencing much pain since except soreness in my knees and hip because my gait is off too plus the boot. Today in PT, we focused a great deal on re-training my gait. It's very messed up from the years before surgery. I really think PT is a real good answer for you. They have worked with breaking up scar tissue I didn't know was there; worked on range of motion; strengthening toes and ankle. You (and I) may still have some pain hurdles but I am confident that PT has really helped me. I started walking with a cane this week.
I wish you the very best.
Linda
Linda, thank you for your response. I start p/t next Monday. I hope it helps. since my DPM says I don't need it. It seems many folks here have p/t following this procedure. Before the surgery I was pronating, now I am supinating....did that happen to you? I want to walk straight again! Thanks again, Crunch

Old 01-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Crunch,
Yes, the pronation was such that it seemed as though I was walking on the inside side of my foot and I was severely knock-kneed. In May I had a TKR to correct my knee and to straighten my leg. Then the foot surgery. Now though the pain seems to be on the outside of my foot, it is actually straightened out. I think it feels like it is supined because it's finally right. I have noticed that my leg doesn't "feel" straight but when I look in a mirror, the difference is amazing.
Linda

Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
shelleybutn
(female)

i guess my surgery was for dif reasons....i did NOT have any deformity before surgery. so i don't notice a difference. but like linda said, it will feel weird because you spent so many years pronating....now you are neutral it will feel almost over corrected. but it probably is just neutral.
shelley

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
lovelyladi
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

congratulations on a more normal foot!

I have been limping and walking (painfully) on the inside of my foot for so long....waited way to many years to do this.

My surgeon said lots of PT is necessary to fix the gait and realy learn to walk
again.

Shelly (I guess there are two of us with a slight difference in spelling)

Old 01-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
crunch
(male)

crunch HB User

Thank you to all that replied! I start my PT on Monday. This whole experiance (TA) has been a trip, and much more recovery than I ever imagined. However, I had been reduced to wearing an aircast ankle brace every day, and really had to go through w/ it. Hopefully, once through the PT and a few more months, I will be "whole" again.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
scribytoo
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Don't be put off by some pain in PT. If you are pushing (or being pushed) too hard and have pain that makes it difficult to bear weight, it means you need to move slower in PT. Be open with your therapist. I've noticed everytime I went through PT that there would be little bumps in the process. I knew a bump was over when I walked to the bathroom and THEN looked around for my walker! It signaled a transition to part-time cane use.
Best wishes as you start PT. Linda

Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
klbs1961
(female)

klbs1961 HB User

Linda and Shelley,
My husband and I have reservations for V-Day at a B&B in McCloud CA (near Mt. Shasta). What are the chances I will be walking without the crutches, there could be snow...should I just plan that I will still need my boot and crutches? I know I have only been in the boot for 2 days, but I already want to be out and pain free

Kathy

Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
crunch
(male)

crunch HB User

I would take your boot, just in case....and be CAREFUL if there's snow for goodness sakes! I am 5.5 mo. post surgery, and would be very leary of anything slippery. You're still not going to have a lot of flexibility or strength in your foot and ankle at that point would be my guess. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, BUT BE PATIENT!

Last edited by crunch; 01-10-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
catldyfromnpt
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

I wouldn't want to wear the boot or bring the crutches, but thats only a month away and you know you'll still need them. so better safe than sorry.. =)

Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
shelleybutn
(female)

kathy, you are so funny. more than likely you will still be on crutches, maybe down to one. but most definately will still need the boot. i got in boot july 2nd, off crutches early september, and out of boot mid to late october. but i am also 6' tall and not little so if you are a tiny girl, then maybe. but i would say not.

shelley

Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
klbs1961
(female)

klbs1961 HB User

I am not tiny believe me. The room at the B&B does have a whirlpool tub for two, so maybe I will not have much need for the boot or crutches

Closed Thread