It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Possible Neuroma or ruptured plantar plate nerve block? sclerosing shot?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
woods5
(female)

woods5 HB User
Possible Neuroma or ruptured plantar plate nerve block? sclerosing shot?

My podiatrist called today to say he had reviewed my MRI results with the radiologist for the black spots he saw and was not sure what they we're. They felt it is a small neuroma. But after he asked me a few questions, he says it doesn't sound like a neuroma. So now he is wondering if it is the ruptured plantars plate.

He suggested that we could try a nerve block to see if it is a neruroma and the pain stops or he can do a sclerosing shot. Other than that, we are looking at surgery to see if it is the plantars plate that is ruptured. I am also seeing about getting a second opinion.

The ball of my foot hurts and is swollen every night when I take off my shoes. My second and third metatarsal toes hurt, when pushed to the sides. The pain I have feels like burning and runs under the second and third metatarsals, about 1 inch. I do not experience numbness in my toes. I wanted to post a picture of my feet, but don't have the option too.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Possible Neuroma or ruptured plantar plate nerve block? sclerosing shot?

I'm sorry to hear about the results of your MRI. I would want to get a copy of the MRI and the report and take it to another Podiatrist for a second opinion before deciding to try anything. I think your right about that.

I have a lump type area on the bottom of my foot off to the outer edge. On ultrasound it showed up as inflammation however my PT was sure the PF was ruptured. It wasn't. I do have burning along the same area your describing. I've found out if I'm on my feet too much the burning starts. It's miserable not to know what's wrong.

Let us know what a second doctor thinks.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
nicelady
(female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB Usernicelady HB User

Based on what I am reading here - Morton's Neuroma - I have not found anyone who stated that they had the alcohol sclerosing injections done and it was successful. I have read on other sights that it has a very good success rate but I would like to hear from someone who has experienced it??

Last edited by nicelady; 04-29-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

when he checked your foot, did he squeeze it from side to side? And was there a "click?" That's the classic way to dx a neuroma.

I would definitely get a second opinion but from a sports med ortho who is foot and ankle board certified. Don't know if you can gt in to see him but Mark Myerson in Baltimore is said to be very good.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
nicelady
(female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB Usernicelady HB User

I have been diagnosed with Diabetes and neuropathy in my feet. I am on gabapentin, which calms the nerves. Read from someone you have to get the dosage up for it to work. I am now on 1800Mg (2 300Mg tablets after meals) Sometimes if I wake in the middle of the night I will take one more dose. This stuff does work. I have had tens treatment with a therapist and now have my own machine. This does work - while you are using it. Does not fix the nerves. Podiatrist tried a nerve block - worked while it was active then back to same thing. I find the easiet thing to do is stand in a small foot bath with cold water. It works immediately but like with the tens when you get out of it the pain comes back. My daughter sent me a site today on using a laser treatment. I will check it out later.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
noevr
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, I had a neuroma removed back around 2007. I had the same symptoms but also had pain on the top of the foot. It feels fine now after surgery. CJ

Closed Thread