It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Pttd stage 2 preop/postop concerns

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
jamb627
(female)

jamb627 HB User
Unhappy Pttd stage 2 preop/postop concerns

I am not sure where to post this but.......... Hi, I am new here and am searching for any info as to what to expect after surgery. I am starting to panic here. Any replies would be great. My surgery is scheduled for Feb 12th. I have PTTD stage 2. Doctor has told me 6 weeks non weight bearing, 6 weeks walker and 6 weeks walking boot. I had a full knee replacement on my right leg 11 months ago. I am still bothered by that somewhat. this PTTD occurred or came to light because of the bad knee I was putting all my weight (230) on the left side. Now I am in so much pain that over the counter stuff don't work at all. Last time I saw my orthopedic he said call when you are ready for sugery. Well, I am so over all this pain and I have been through 4 different types of braces. I am done. I asked my Doc what the chances are of it working and he said 80-90%. How do those percentages sound? He said that 5% come away worst than what they started at, only cause I aske him that question....Anyway, I fear most of all that i will end up worst than I started off. BUT the pain is everywhere in the left foot. Any information and encouragement is greatly needed. Thanks for listening.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
kristim06
(female)

kristim06 HB User
Re: Pttd stage 2 preop/postop concerns

Hi there...I am about 1 week away from getting my walking boot on from the 2nd foot Ihad surgery on. I had my first surgery done Jan. 2008 and the second foot done December 2008. Both times the procedure was achilles lengthing, FDL tendon transfer, and a sliding osteotomy with one large screw in the back of my heel. For both surgeries I had the following time line post op
I stayed overnight for one night after both surgeries, I had a general, as well as a popiteal block which was great for pain management after, along with in the hospital I had a PCA. I went home iced and kept it up and was off work for a week. I went back to work after a week, keeping it the whole time I was at work. I was in the surgical splint for 2 weeks non-weight bearing and then the stitches came out and I went into a normal fiberglass cast for another 4 weeks non-weight bearing. Next tuesday I will go into a walking boot as long as the bone looks healed and i will begin weight bearing as tolerated to full weight bearing in the boot for 5-6 weeks, along with PT. I think I have become an expert on this condition. Please feel free to ask me anything. and A little more background about me other than the surgery I acquired this condition from running, I am 25 years old and not over weight.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
jazzygyrl
(female)

jazzygyrl HB User

Hi I am new to the board, and had flat foot reconstructive surgery for PTTD on Dec. 8. I am just wondering how you went back to work so quickly and able to bear weight after just 5 wks. Are you superwoman??? I am 5 wks post-op today, still non wb, still in an aircast, and still very much miserable. I just got the ok 4 days ago to start washing my ft again. I am so upset that I have to get the right foot done. Everyday I say I'm not going to do it. I guess I will just be the gyrl with 1 st8 foot w/ an arch and 1 crooked foot w/o an arch. In need of some encouraging words...

Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
kristim06
(female)

kristim06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzygyrl View Post
Hi I am new to the board, and had flat foot reconstructive surgery for PTTD on Dec. 8. I am just wondering how you went back to work so quickly and able to bear weight after just 5 wks. Are you superwoman??? I am 5 wks post-op today, still non wb, still in an aircast, and still very much miserable. I just got the ok 4 days ago to start washing my ft again. I am so upset that I have to get the right foot done. Everyday I say I'm not going to do it. I guess I will just be the gyrl with 1 st8 foot w/ an arch and 1 crooked foot w/o an arch. In need of some encouraging words...
I had my surgery done on dec. 9th so a day after you. I am not sure how old you are but I am 25. I am still nwb but ask of next tuesday hopefully everything will look ok and they will let me start to weight bear. It is a struggle sometimes to get up trust me. I am still having a lot of pain in the middle of the night it is very strange. I wake up in intense pain. This did not happen with the other one. I am jealous you got to go into an aircast they placed me in a fiberglass cast after the surgical splint. It gets to me that I can not do a ton of stuff ie clean my house, laundry, grocery shopping etc. And on top of it I am trying to plan my wedding It is a little better the second time around although the tough thing for you will be the fact that you will not be able to drive. I had them done in the opposite order right first then left. But you know the second time around what to expect and it makes it easier for you. Don't worry you have at least just about a year before they should even consider doing your other foot. Think positive thoughts

Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
PatG25
(male)

PatG25 HB User

Another thing to remember is that everyone is different, and not to get discouraged. I am 10 weeks Post Op, in a boot down to one crutch. Without the boot I can stand up and balance myself, but I am nowhere near walking. Hope that is not discouraging, but I am on the long recovery side of "normal". I do have to say that I have gotten used to it. At least now I can move around the house and have one hand free. I had my left foot down, so I have no problems driving. Getting the right foot done is tougher.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
jazzygyrl
(female)

jazzygyrl HB User

Yes I am realizing now that everyone's recovery timeline is a lil different. I am 23 y/o. I am simply amazed that I am not the only young person going thru this. It won't bother me much that I can't drive, I haven't driven since early Nov. (my feet were just really killing me prior to surgery) I keep joking that I might have to go back to driver's training when it is all said and done. I am hoping within the next 3 wks I will be able to come off of my crutches and out of this aircast. Kris, how does the right foot do as far as supporting the left one. Are you absolutely pain free with the 1st foot you had done. I just feel like breaking down crying when I think about having to go thru this again!!! Ah well I guess everything happens for a reason.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
kristim06
(female)

kristim06 HB User

Quote:
Yes I am realizing now that everyone's recovery timeline is a lil different. I am 23 y/o. I am simply amazed that I am not the only young person going thru this. It won't bother me much that I can't drive, I haven't driven since early Nov. (my feet were just really killing me prior to surgery) I keep joking that I might have to go back to driver's training when it is all said and done. I am hoping within the next 3 wks I will be able to come off of my crutches and out of this aircast. Kris, how does the right foot do as far as supporting the left one. Are you absolutely pain free with the 1st foot you had done. I just feel like breaking down crying when I think about having to go thru this again!!! Ah well I guess everything happens for a reason.

Don't worry right now because you are still recovering from the first one it seems like a lot to deal with. When it comes time to do the second one then it will seem like it is going to be a little easier because you know what to expect more than the first time around. My right foot is great painfree. I am dying to get out of the cast (into the aircast boot) and off of crutches hopefully this coming tuesday.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
jazzygyrl
(female)

jazzygyrl HB User

Thanks Kris. I have totry and not be so overwhelmed and sad but it is really hard. Have u had any problems with your screws from your 1st foot?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
kristim06
(female)

kristim06 HB User

Quote:
Thanks Kris. I have totry and not be so overwhelmed and sad but it is really hard. Have u had any problems with your screws from your 1st foot?
Yes I did have issues with it. I had it removed though. and like I said I had not issues what so ever.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
ETANA
(female)

ETANA HB User

All, I just posted a long message about PTTD on maybe a wrong board
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=663450[/url]
5 months post PTTD surgery

But I read all of your posts before my surgery, and I see that 2 of you had surgery Dec 8 and Dec 9. My surgery was Dec 10. I'll be visiting here again, and thanks for all that i learned before my surgery!

I had:
calc slide with heel screw
Navicular bone removal
Partial tendon repair & tendon transfer
hammertoe & bunionectomy (since i'd be NWB, needed for 12 yrs)

Surgeon said i would have a "strong arch!" I sure hope so!!!
Etana
who can't wait to be weight bearing on left foot this Friday 1/23 and counting!

Last edited by ETANA; 01-19-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #11
klbs1961
(female)

klbs1961 HB User

what is PDDT? I have had a TA is this the simular?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
DHS
(female)

DHS HB User

Klbs1961, PTTD stands for :Posteror Tibial Tendon Dysfunction- basically it means that the person has no arch left in their foot and the weight from one side of the body starts to go to the other side. What I understand that the procedure you had was a Triple Arthodesis- fusing of the foot? I think that this procedure may have some similarities to PTTD. My surgery was for PTTD as well as column lengthening, as I had my achilles lenghthened as well. I'm a runner(age 48) and not overweight. Liz

Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
jazzygyrl
(female)

jazzygyrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristim06 View Post
Yes I did have issues with it. I had it removed though. and like I said I had not issues what so ever.
O ok. Well that's good I hope I have the same success as you. Did you get into and aircast boot this past Tues? I had a dr. appt today and I was praying that he would tell me that I could start to bear weight but he told me that I had to wait another 2 wks!!! I am bummed but thankful that he said everything else looks great.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
jamb627
(female)

jamb627 HB User

ok, i am now 2 days out from my surgery. I am in alot of pain but what bothers me more is the burning sensations I am getting. I am on oxycodone and tylenol. I can put no weight on it and that is hard for me cause i am overweight. Needing to use bedpan, ahich I hate. Throat still hurts from anesthesia. And at this time i have no idea what is on my foot cause it is all wrapped up but I do feel something hard. i have a wlaker and a wheelchair/ I am trying to use the walker more if nothing else but to build up my arm strength. I am a lil depressed of it all but only thing is when my doctor told me before discharging me that he is very optomistic on the out come. I did spend one night in the hospital because blood pressure was very low and they had a hard time waking me. I have noticed from being on my back I have developed a little bit of congestion that I did not have before hand. any encouragement is welcomed.........

Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
lovelyladi
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

PTTD is very similar to TA.

I had TA almost 5 weeks ago and am nonweight bearing for 12 weeks. I am 60yo and definitely overweight. I can say it will get better and easier. At first I used a bed pan too.

I suggest you get a knee walker I would be totally lost without mine. I got one from Roll-a-bout but there are several brands (check on the internet) With it (and it took a few weeks to learn how to trnasfer and get around with it) I can get around our one story home, dress and use the bathroom by myself. The wheel chair did not fit through most doors and the walker was a joke. There is no way I could hop on my other knee.

it will get easier.

Shelly

Closed Thread