It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Does the weather outside affect your feet problems? Mainly Plantar fasciitis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
woods5
(female)

woods5 HB User
Does the weather outside affect your feet problems? Mainly Plantar fasciitis

I am just curious if anybody is effected by the outside weather and if it makes your feet hurt? I have plantars fasicitis in my left foot. In November I had 2 cortisone shots in my heel and my foot was actually feeling better. But over the last week to few days my heel is back to hurting. So I am wondering if the cortisone is wearing off or could it be from the cold weather we are getting here in Maryland?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Does the weather outside effect your feet problems? Mainly Planters fasiciitis

The cortisone can definitely wear off. Are you still doing stretches for your heel pain? The cold, damp weather bothers my joints including the ones in my feet but not specifically the Plantar faciitis part of my feet.

Saw your other posting ,Also about custom orthotics- Even though I'm still in my 2nd year with PF the custom orthotics have saved me. Without them I couldn't even stand on my feet for 5 minutes. They are expensive but I found worth it.

Last edited by taape; 01-14-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
woods5
(female)

woods5 HB User
Re: Does the weather outside affect your feet problems? Mainly Plantar fasciitis

Yes I do my stretches every day and I am still going to PT.

Is there a certain brand that you have for your orthotics?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
taape
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Does the weather outside affect your feet problems? Mainly Plantar fasciitis

I don't know if I'm allowed to post specific brands. But the kind I have a full length orthotics, the correction part is plastic and goes under my arches of course, it's glued to material so that the orthotic goes from the front of the shoe back to the heel. I've seen some where the patient only has the plastic part not attached to anything and they wear it under or over the original shoe inserts.

The first pair I had were made from a picture of my feet. I stood on a machine that produced an image of my feet using a heat sensor or something so the picture showed the stress points. Apparently they made the orthotic from doing a postive from the negative.

The second pair I put each foot into a box that had a spongy foam material, it made an imprint of my foot exactly. These are the ones I have now. I think they are much more exact and fit better.

Does PT do ultrasound on the bottom of your foot? Mine does and it really helps with the inflammation and pain. Are you taking antiinflammatory medications? I can't take those so I'm stuck without medication pain relief.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
hopalong_too
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

What kind of exercises are you doing? You can put a golf ball on the floor (or carpet for better stability) and roll the golf ball around using the bottom of your bare foot. Use under the arch, where the arch meets the heel, the heel and any areas that really hurt. Use as much pressure as you can stand and then a little more, It WILL hurt but you will get used to it. You can do this while watching TV or at work under the desk. I know MANY people this has worked well on! Also stand backward on a step with just your front 1/3 of foot on the step and the heel hanging over the edge. Slowly lower your heels below the height of the stair (Like your foot is sinking in the sand at the beach) and hold it there and this stretches the achilles tendon and plantar fascia. Do a few repetitions.

When you are done, you can roll a frozen water bottle back and forth, from back to front. The ice will calm the foot down after the exercise.

Most importantly for plantar fasciitis....do not go barefoot. Use a heal lift or shoes with a slight heal, even cowboy boots--they work great!

I hope this helps. Let us know if you feel any difference after a few times. I know it has helped some of my friends. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-14-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
paradais
(female)

paradais HB User

I'm new to this site. I've just been diagnosed with plantar fibromatosis this week. I'd seen a number of practitioners during the 12 months I had symptoms and not one mentioned this which was picked up finally by an ultrasound. Previously I had been told I had plantar fasciitis, but the ultrasound shows there is no sign of that. How can one condition disappear and another appear seemlessly? And, what is the treatment recommended for fibromatosis. Prognosis? So far, have only been prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory.
thanks
Paradais

Closed Thread