It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneous 10

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
    Cool Fractured Calcaneous 10

When the mod shuts down the other one - we're up an running here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneous 10

ED

No sooner did you say when thread shuts down -it did !
    I sit here and laugh everytime i see a dif name for my husband -think its to funny!
    and my name is Terry,just so use to ending posts with mydd lol

I cant wait for him to start pt because his foot when he stands is not streight and is sort of pointed alittle outward ,am assuming will streigten out once he gets movement back into it -he really wants to get back on surfboard so that will be a big challenge.

sbrew is was you who said you put high heels on?that hurts without having an injury like this lol

mydd

Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Heelies, Fracture 7/7, op 7/15, wb 9/12

Hey Jason, maybe you could have a holder put on the peddel and or a cleat on the boot. Maybe drill from the inside out with flat head screws so they won't bother your foot. Just a thought. You remind me of when I was a young guy, enjoy life and don't change it keeps you young.

Hey Terry, nice to know your name. That's got to be lifting Hermans spirits to know he can very soon be biking to PT. I think it's wonderful.

Hank, I agree don't get hung up on the numbers, PT will get you there.

Ed, Alex, Sandra, Good posts, they make me feel good. Speaking of feeling good, I am walking better every day. Very little discomfort and little swelling.

Carole, is out running with shadow her dog in the woods, if I remember correctly.

Pat, I think the air travel did affect your foot. I know when I have flown I had to releave the presure in my aircast boot.

Lets see how the Eagles do this weekend, should be a good game.

Kieth, Don, Taysha, and anyone else I missed

Everybody stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 01-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

Hello everyone:

Joe: I thought about bolting the cleat on through the top of the boot but I started to rethink the whole idea. The joint that I had fused restricts my movement, specifically the one that would let me twist my foot to release the cleat from the pedal. As much as I would like to do it I'm still wary of any twisting motion with my foot. Until the doctor lets me out of the boot anyway.
    Ed: I hate to rub it in but you missed out on some really great weather here on the west coast. It's been in the 70's for the past week.

Keep Healing everyone.

Jason

Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
    KCguy
    (male)

KCguy HB User

Break 8/31, Surgery 9/9, WB as of 11/12

Evening everyone

Ed
    I didn't think the Eagles would lose, but they did. I wouldn't pin the defense giving up 32 points and all the dropped passes on Donovan though. Well at least Pittsburgh won for me!

Jason
    What about some time of strap or straps that you could slide the boot into like the old shoe straps for the pedals. Probably wouldn't be that hard to fabricate. Another alternative to drilling your boot or driving screws into it.

Mydd
    Terry, or is it Susan, or Patty... I'm sure once Bob David gets to PT and starts getting some strength back into the ligaments and tendons things will start to straighten themselves out. He's been off it so long it will probably take some time. After having to wait so long though and going through so many procedures I'm sure he won't mind having to work it hard to get things on the path to recovery.

Sandra
    Take a break from work, pour a glass of wine, pull up a chair and let us know how things are going. I'm still beating you!

Joe
    Glad to know things are going well and you're getting stronger and better. I actually had some soreness over the weekend. I really worked it hard on Saturday so Saturday night it was telling me to get off it a while and leave it alone. So I had a couple glasses of wine and complied with my foot's request.

Keith, Hank, Carole, Pat, Phil, and anyone else I've forgotton hope everything is going well

As for me, nothing really new. We spent the weekend in Springfield and Branson MO on some business with a little relaxing wedged in-between. I did a lot of walking on Saturday and I pretty much treat my foot like nothing ever happened but Saturday night things were sore some so I stayed off it. When I got up Sunday morning I was a little stiff but I walked it off. My incision itches a lot nowadays as the scar continues to heal. I would probably put more stuff on the scar to help it heal better and not be as noticeable but it's not a big deal for me since it's not in a very visible area of the foot. Other than that I'm just trying to keep my life normal now and not do anything different just because of my foot. So far so good. Stay positive everyone, the only 2 things you can control are you attitude and your activity....

Alex

Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Jason, good thinking, if your not comfortable don't do it till you are ready and the Doc. gives you the OK. Am sure you will come up with something. Maybe a velcro pad on the bottom of boot and on the pedal, that might give you the release when you want it but keep the boot on the pedal while your riding. Just a thought.

Alex, wine's good and resting the foot is good too. Hey, I took a few jogging steps, althou I was a little apprehencive, my leg isn't strong enough yet to support the activity but am working on it.

Am wondering if the Eagles will be looking for a new quarter back after McChokes perfomance. Now it's go Steelers.

Ed, Keith, Hank, Carole, Pat, Phil, and anyone else I've forgotton hope everything is going well.

Everybody stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Last edited by joe41; 01-20-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
    electrician
    (male)

electrician HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 10

shattered heel 9-3-08 surg 9-9

hey every one, looks like everyone is comming along well.

anyone able to "feel" their hardware? if i rub my foot lightly around the plates and pins area i can feel a distinct bump with my finger that seems to outline the plate. this doesn't hurt at all. I was just wondering if any of you had this experience?

thanks keith

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
    The J
    (male)

The J HB User

Hello everyone:
    Keith: I can feel a couple of screws in my foot, one more than the others. If you look at your foot from the side, I have a screw that goes from the absolute back of the heel towards the top of my foot at about a 45 degree angle. I feel that one the most.

Alex: I like the idea but the toe clip pedals I've found aren't wide enough to fit the boot and I don't like the feeling of having my foot trapped on the pedal.

Joe: The velcro would work if I was staying on the road but most of my riding is in the dirt and the velcro would clog up pretty quick.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone but I think I am going to stick with what I have. I'm learning to ride with it pretty well.
    We've all learned to adapt to the cards we were dealt and like somebody said it never is more than we can handle.
    Adapt and overcome, that pretty much sums it up for all of us.

On a more humorous note, there is a yearly mountain bike race near where I live. My buddies convinced me to race in it in April. I'm going to wear the boot whether the doc says I don't have to or not. I think it would be hilarious to beat some people and be wearing a boot.

Keep healing everyone and keep your sense of humor.

Jason

Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Everyone,
    Glad to hear everyone so positive,my foot is much better and i have ditched the cane for the last 2 days and walked a lot around Melbourne so it must have been the plane ride that made my foot so poorly last week.

That is the good part, you won't believe this!! as some of you know, my 87 yr. old Mother lives with us and goes into respite care while we are in Oz. She fell last Wednesday in the care home badly bruising herself but luckily no bones broken, she is in hospital where they are monitoring her because she is on Warfarin medication.Thankfully I have very good network of friends who are visiting her and updating me on her progress and the medics say she is not in any danger and no need for us to return home early, I have just about got over the guilt of not going home but know that she doesn't want me to ruin my trip this year again.Can you believe my bad luck 2 years running??

Keep healing heelies

Pat

Old 01-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

Hey Pat and all

Sorry to hear about your mom - and am sure if they needed you to come right home you would have been told by the drs and done so,as long as she was in good care and is doing ok.

lol Alex thanks for the extra names also

Second day of pt today- of course now i cant wait for when he can walk regularly -Have anyone of you that are done with Pt still have a dif way of walking on the bad foot -or is it normal movement like the good foot?
    Hub is till using cam boot for protection -we have had snow and ice here , has been even more challenging with the crutches- so now cant wait for snow, ice ,crutches and cam to be done with lol-list is getting longer instead of shorter.

thanks
    terry-mydd

Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Good Morning everyone,

Pat - I'm really sorry about Mum. I do hope she is OK and will recover quickly and go home soon. I know how the guilt must still weigh in, but it appears she is in good hands and she'll be home in no time. Enjoy your trip, you need holiday time too. You'll see her soon enough. We're all (well at least I am) very jealous of your visit to Oz. It's on my list of places to go someday.

Glad you are getting around OK and have ditched the cane. All great news.

Mydd - Good to finally learn of your name Barbara. I hope William is still doing well and looking forward to his PT sessions. Interesting about his foot pointing outward. A great question for the PT. I'd love to hear what they have to say about that. I do hope it straightens out for him, but if it doesn't he may have to lead that foot on the surfboard if that's not his natural forward foot. Obviously, be careful when walking on the ice. I don't want to read about you falling or slipping.

Terry, I am finally walking normally. My gate is normal, my speed has picked up and you wouldn't know it by watching me walk. My foot still gets tight when tired at the end of the day or on a workout day. My toes still have some discomfort from bending as I walk. There are times where I have to think about how I am stepping so as not to hurt or reinjure my progress. It will come, it takes time and as you know, patience. Remember I am now coming up on 7 months post op, and 7 since the injury.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #12
    triguy450
    Veteran
    (male)

Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneous 10

Good Morning everyone,

It's been a few days, while I've been nursing my 3rd cold in 6 weeks. Don't know what's up with that. I became so lethargic and shut down for a few days, but following the posts.

Pat - I'm really sorry about Mum. I do hope she is OK and will recover quickly and go home soon. I know how the guilt must still weigh in, but it appears she is in good hands and she'll be home in no time. Enjoy your trip, you need holiday time too. You'll see her soon enough. We're all (well at least I am) very jealous of your visit to Oz. It's on my list of places to go someday.

Glad you are getting around OK and have ditched the cane. All great news.

Mydd - Good to finally learn of your name Barbara. I hope William is still doing well and looking forward to his PT sessions. Let us know how he does today. Interesting about his foot pointing outward. A great question for the PT. I'd love to hear what they have to say about that. I do hope his foot straightens out for him, but if it doesn't he may have to lead that foot on the surfboard if that's not his natural forward foot. Obviously, be careful when walking on the ice. I don't want to read about you falling or slipping.

Terry, I am finally walking normally. My gate is normal, my speed has picked up and you wouldn't know it by watching me walk. My foot still gets tight when tired at the end of the day or on a workout day. My toes still have some discomfort from bending as I walk. There are times where I have to think about how I am stepping so as not to hurt or reinjure my progress. It will come, it takes time and as you know, patience. Remember I am now coming up on 7 months post op, and 7 since the injury.

Joe - Looks like we are progressing the same and I'm glad to hear that of you. As for the Eagles? I'm not sure what to say....there is that saying, if you can't say anything nice..... Eagles defense couldn't match the Cards offense in the 1st half. Aikers missing 4 points after having an almost prefect season? Unheard of. Eagles come back in the 2nd half was huge and I give the defense credit for shutting down the Cards offense. (I'm sorry Alex) but McChoke did throw those last 3 passes in the final minutes a little too hard at his receivers. I didn't see any of them as being catchable, but it does take 2 to tango. I lost faith in him years ago and my opinion has not changed. Nuff said.

Great news on the jogging steps. I feel like I am almost there myself too. I am tempted, just not tempted enough. Maybe a few more weeks. I'll also start walking my Golden more often once the weather warms up again.

Jason - You are a mad man. LOL....I hope you kick butt in that race. I wished I was out there too, I could use some 70 degree weather....

Keith - I think your were asking if anyone can feel the hardware thru there skin? Not necessarily while it's deep inside bone or the foot? Yes, I can rub my skin and feel where my "bicycle chain is and some, but not all, of the screws. The long one that goes from top back to lower front, not at all.

I still think about what I have in there and that I don't feel any of it while walking or during my daily activities. Amazes me.

Alex - You are just cruising right along. I don't feel any itching but alot of tingling going on around the entire heel area. All good tingling, but it comes out of no where. Last night it was right around the incision area. It still gets stiff as you know, but some continued stretching helps work that out.

Funny that some of you feel the weather changes. I have felt nothing when it comes to that. My foot does not get colder or ache more as the temp drops or pressure drops.

Hank - How are you? Where are you? Hope you are OK. Sandra, Carole, Phil (where did Phil go?)

All good news from everyone. I'm so glad to hear it. Stay healthy and positive everyone.
    Ed

Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Mydd and everyone,
    Mam doing fine and will probably return to care home this weekend so I am feeling better now.

My foot still improving and not using cane, Mydd, I was injured 11 months ago and have been having PT for last 6 months but foot still not walking perfectly but nearly there so it takes about 12 months which is what PT and DR's told me. My foot also turned out a bit at first but soon straightens once stretching and exercise picks up.

Ed,you should visit Oz as it is brilliant, only drawback is long flight, but you can't have it all!! if my foot plays up after the flight home at least I will know what to expect so I won't worry about it.

Keep healing everyone

Pat

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
    mydd
    (female)

mydd HB User

Thanks for info Pat -hubs injury+plus infection will be a year this March so guess it will take some time in Pt. also, they said his rom is very good ,the up and down motion . Its the side to side that is hard to do and i think from the foot hanging in air while on crutches is the direction the foot is pointed as it healed.guess im hoping it can be pt-ed (new word lol) back to right direction.

Ed yeah that would be the lead foot for surfing - would actually be the way he would be pointing it while surfing -not telling him he may decide to leave it that way lol-
    How about some vitamins to take plus extra c for those colds , sounds like to many to close together.

everyone else glad to hear of all the things everyone is accomplishing
    still would like to hear from tashya_B4US if u see this let us know how you are.

MYDD-terry aka barbara etc lol

Old 01-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Jason, what Ed said, and I think as long as you use the boot for protection you'll be fine. Go for it.

Ed, if you keep messing with everyones names I won't know who am replying to . I agree with the walking more. I have been laid off so I don't get as much walking as I would like. On top of that my wife is recorvering from cancer, but she coming along thank God.

Pat, I am sorry to hear about Mom, but am glad to hear she is doing well. Enjoy your vacation. Hoping your Mom makes a complete recovery.

Kieth, or Jason, no I can't feel any hardwear althou sometimes I think I can, but seeing the pictures of the foot and seeing how deep the plate and screws are I think it's more mental than pysical.

Terry, that's good news to want to get past the boot, crutches etc. Those things will come and PT will be very good for Ralph.

Alex, I get very little tingling. However when I massage the foot/scar I do get the tingles.

Everyone, remember stay strong, positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Closed Thread