It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• bunionectomy today and (attempted) screw removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User
    bunionectomy today and (attempted) screw removal

hey... not really a question but a rant. Finally had my fourth bunionectomy today! Right foot is now done (austin procedure, single screw). Had two tailor bunionectomies years ago.. then in 2005 I had a bunionectomy of the left foot/big toe. I never did like the results of that last surgery. I had a lot of difficulty healing, I still sometimes feel like I'm walking on bone. My toe also still is not straight and the screws felt like they were giving me problems. So this was the most nervous I've been since I'm hoping for a better outcome (I did change doctors, I really like the new doc so I'm at least hopeful).
    Since I was getting the right foot done I asked to at least get the screws removed from the left foot (so I'm bandaged on both feet right now).
    Unfortunately I got bad news out of surgery. During the initial surgery on the left foot, the screws were stripped so when the Doctor went in they could not be removed. She tried her best and actually cut the tops off as they were sticking up a bit and actually had some bone growing over the screws. She's hoping that by fixing that part it at least minimizes my discomfort. If not I guess later in the year I'll be discussing more options but for now I just have to focus on medicating myself/ elevating/ and icing (and sleeping in between, the sedative is finally fully out of my system)
    Anyways, just looking for support.. anyone else have a problem with hardware/removal??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    Re: bunionectomy today and (attempted) screw removal

I had a screw break before removal. When I went in for surgery they were only able to get part of the screw out. The surgeon told me this was not a problem the bone should fill in and grow over the screw.

During my second screw removal (different screw) it was found the bone had grown over the screw but the surgeon had to chip away the bone to get at the screw. As a result of this he thinks it is possible the bone cracked which has resulted in me staying in the boot longer (5 weeks instead of 2). But I can say after removal of this screw I am having a lot less pain.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: bunionectomy today and (attempted) screw removal

i had hardware removal and didnt have a problem. the screws were actually hitting the skin of the top of my toe. 1 screw did have to stay in because it was too hard to get to and it doesnt bother me at all.

Closed Thread