It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Talus Fracture

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
more
(female)

more HB User
Talus Fracture

Hello I am looking for some input from others who have had the talus broken.

My Story: In January 2008 I had a car accident in which I broke my Tibia and Fibia (compound fracture), broke the calcaneous, dislocated the ankle and shattered the talus. At the time of the first surgery (night of the accident) the surgeon went into surgery thinking he may have to amputate the foot (which did not happen). Approximately 3 weeks after the accident I was told the ankle was not set in a good position and it needed to be reset. However, they were not able to do this due to an open wound on the inside of the foot which needed to heal first. I ended up having to wait until March to have the foot reset which involved breaking the bone and resetting, and removal/replacement of original screws.

Since this time I have had 2 surgeries for removal of hardware, one in August and one in December. I am now being told by my doctor the majority of people with the injury I had to my talus require a talus fusion within one year. They also said some of my bone did die due to loss of blood flow which adds to my chances of needing the fusion.

I have two questions:
1. Is there anyone that has had a break to the talus that did not need a fusion.

2. For those that did need the fusion what was the recovery time - how long non-weight bearing and how long in the boot?

Thanks for your help with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
more
(female)

more HB User
Re: Talus Fracture

Does anyone have any input on this? I know I posted it on the weekend but thought maybe I would get at least one reply.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
triguy450
Veteran
(male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
Cool Re: Talus Fracture

Hi More,

There are some folks the thread Calcaneous Fracture 10 have had fusion but not talus fractures. You can come on over and ask question of them. I know one fellow is having difficulty with his fusion.

Ed

Old 01-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
crash250r
(male)

crash250r HB User
Re: Talus Fracture

Hi, I broke my talus in July 98. The term I think you are describing is AVN or avascular necrosis.

From what you describe,it is almost identical to my break.

I dislocated and fractured the talus, prolly the worst thing you can do.

I spent 6 months in fiberglass casts and another year in walking casts and boots.

I was walking lightly on my cast at 3 months and progressively did more and more until I rode my dirt bike again after 7 months while stil in the walking boot, crazy yes.

I was told I would prolly need amputation eventually and fusion definitely.

After 18 months my doctor said I could do what I wanted (other than dirt biking) pain would dictate how much I could do.

The doctor pretty much foresaw what would happen. If I could stand the pain no fusion necessary if not fusion was iminent
Flash forward 10 years. I never had it fused (but not a day goes by that I didn't wonder if I should have, but hey the doctor said if I could handle the pain I was better off not). My pain is the worst in the morning and night, basically anytime I get off my foot for a long period of time. If I go on a long hike the pain sensors go numb after a short period of time and I can go hiking all day without too much pain, although my range of motion is severly compromised. I can pivot off the ball of my foot rather than push off with it. What I mean is, my good leg keeps forward momentum going while I roll off the bad leg.

From what I have heard fusion is not guaranteed to eliminate pain for everyone, so I opted out. But each year my pain gets worse and worse. It takes longer for the pain to go away in the morninig. Sometimes I have to hop on one foot to the shower the pain is so bad. But in about 1 hour I'm ok.

I read all sorts of stories of people trying all sorts of bone grafts and such only to end up right where I am, without weeks in the hospital.
Mark my words, this is a devastating injury with no predicting when or if I will need fusion or worse, amputation, but I just have to live my life with the pain I can bare

Your doctor doesn't want to see you suffer through countless surgeries only to end up like Michael Jackson's nose.

You will never walk the same and you will always be in pain, that is for sure. But hang in there because if I can handle it you can too.

Jim.

Closed Thread