It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

halux rigidus procedures

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
boota
(female)

boota HB User
halux rigidus procedures

I am diagnosed with halux rigidus and fusion/arthodesis, is suggested as remedy. However, I am an active hiker and practice yoga and do not wish to give up my joint flexibility. Any suggestions? I am not in any excruciating pain even though the joint looks really bad with huge bone spur, but with right type of shoes I can easily hike for 8 to 10 miles with moderate grade. I am debating should I even bother with surgery or live with periodic pain for as long as I can? Any other suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Lesley54
(female)

Lesley54 HB User
Re: halux rigidus procedures

I don't know what halux rigidus is but, there is triple arthrodesis site. Check it out. There are alot of postings. It is fusing of 3 bones in the foot. I had it in August. I can only move my foot up and down. Uneven surfaces are difficult to walk. But I think I will be able to compensate (not sure about hiking for me yet). The dr. says it takes up to a year to feel really right. I had arthritis with bone spurs from a previous surgery. If it were me....I think I would wait, since you are so athletically active and not in constant pain. Your body will tell you when you are ready.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
joefine
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boota View Post
I am diagnosed with halux rigidus and fusion/arthodesis, is suggested as remedy. However, I am an active hiker and practice yoga and do not wish to give up my joint flexibility. Any suggestions? I am not in any excruciating pain even though the joint looks really bad with huge bone spur, but with right type of shoes I can easily hike for 8 to 10 miles with moderate grade. I am debating should I even bother with surgery or live with periodic pain for as long as I can? Any other suggestions?

Yeah, get more opinions. Fusion sounds very radical since you're in good enough shape to hike 10 miles. Why not a cheilectomy? There are a lot of quack podiatrists out there. A lot. Some, like the one I once saw a couple of years ago, who immediately said my joint was shot and I needed an artificial joint, should be arrested. Another quack I once saw would just stick a cortisone needle in the foot no matter what the complaint.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
debbie g
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

you need to get more opinions. never have foot surgery until you are in dire pain or the dr says it cant be fixed by waiting too long. thats my advice.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
colby88
(male)

colby88 HB User

Get at least 3 outside opinions before deciding anything. I had a cheilectomy for hallux rigidus 1 1/2 yrs. ago and my right foot has never been the same. My Podiatric surgeon was quick to diagnose and then perform the surgery. I put my trust in him and didn't get another opinion which I now realize I should've gotten from an Orthopedic surgeon.

I'm an avid a runner and had done several marathons and now I haven't run more than 10 times in nearly two yrs. It's just too painful. I have lost more flexibility than I had prior to surgery and the joint doesn't feel right structurally. I'm so sad as I'm only 39 and have run my whole life.

I'm certain I will need surgery again but I'm fearful now that it will even be worse. On top of that, my physical therapist told me that in his opinion my x-ray before the surgery looked better than the x-ray post surgery. Not what I wanted to hear!

You don't state your age but if it were me I'd hold off from surgery as long as I could or else find the top Dr. in your area to do it. Call your local college or professional sports team and ask who works on the players and get a referall to their Dr. It's worth it! I wish I did.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had a cheilectomy 6 years ago. IT's still working fine for me. I jog, wear heels, dance. No problems. Get the best doc you can find that THAT condition. There are several thread here on this topic. Reading them can be very helpful.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
boota
(female)

boota HB User

Thank you one and all for your insight! I will take your suggestions to heart, wait and do more research in finding the right doctor.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

try the Jets or the Giants front office. Ask who they use for "turf toe." That's a generic term for the group of conditions that are caused by hallux limitus/rigidus and the term football players use. Am sure theyuse someone very good.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
peace99
(female)

peace99 HB User

I have been diagnosed with hallux rigitis on my right foot.

My orthopedic surgeon said he'll try to salvage the joint by doing a decompression weil osteotomy. It's something like a bunion surgery but he will shave off part of the bone to make the big toe a little shorter so that the space in between the 2 MT bones won't be compressed

My surgery will be on the 6th of March. I hope everything will turn out fine.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
joefine
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
try the Jets or the Giants front office. Ask who they use for "turf toe." That's a generic term for the group of conditions that are caused by hallux limitus/rigidus and the term football players use. Am sure theyuse someone very good.

People are always advising that - ask your local pro or college sports team who they use. Maybe you had better luck with that than I did. When I tried asking the local university sports department which doctor they use for turf toe they acted like I was a spy from some enemy team trying to steal their state secrets. They told me that info is confidential.

Last edited by joefine; 01-28-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

It's often in their Media Guide and online as well....it's just sometimes easier to call. I had good luck doing that for a friend with the Jets. Said I had a friend in NY who had Turf Toe and needed a good doctor. I'd had the surgery here in B'ham and just thought their doc would be a good one for her to try since she couldn't come here. They were very helpful.

You can also check around by asking your own doctor (not the one you went to first for it but your regular doc, etc) if he/she knows who the ***** use. That's how I found my doctor....asked my primary care doc who was the best foot guy in town. Then I went to him though I had the diagnosis from my pod.

Last edited by Titchou; 01-28-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
joefine
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

Yes, T, that's what I did, asked around, doctors, etc., asked who's best in town, but as I said I got nowhere with the university sports department. They were the opposite of helpful.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
steved0603
(male)

steved0603 HB User
Thumbs down Re: halux rigidus procedures

Be careful of the sports team docs, even still. I went to one of those guys for knee problems a couple of years ago. He was this supposed expert ortho doc that treated the athletes at my son's college, TN's largest, MTSU. He wanted to do a really aggressive surgery on me. A second opinion from a more conservative doc advised me not to go through with it. 50/50 shot that it would make it better and the expense and long recovery were not worth it. I went into the maintain-the-pain mode and I've been dealing with it fine ever since. Not that I won't need surgery someday, but I just wasn't at that stage yet. Think, padding the pocket of the doc in those cases!

Hi Joe and Titchou! Seems they had eliminated our other thread by the time I returned!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Naturally, the sports med guy is a "let's get 'em back out on the field" kind of guy. My surgeon was that way. My pod, on the other hand, wanted to get me where HE wanted me to be - that's wearing flat soled shoes, no jogging, etc. Sorry, Charlie, not my way!

He still tells me that I could have "survived" with orthotics. I wasn't interested in just "surviving".

Last edited by Titchou; 02-04-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
steved0603
(male)

steved0603 HB User
Thumbs up Re: halux rigidus procedures

Luckily there was plenty of info on the internet about the surgery the guy wanted to do, and the conservative guy was right. Limited success. Not what I was up for. You really do have to do your homework, which is what you're doing here. Good work!

Closed Thread