It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

To go under the knife or not?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
skyblu
(female)

skyblu HB User
Question To go under the knife or not?

Hi,

I have 2 bunions and 2 bunionettes (lucky me) that are giving me pain but not crippling pain. The right bunionette has developed a callus from wearing covered toe shoes (like work shoes and flats).

I am thinking of surgery but am apprehensive about the need of it. I read some of the threads posted here and I gather that unless the bunions are causing great pain, don't saw the bones. My bunions cause pain but not great pain - I just change to Jesus sandals. Besides, I am an active person, the idea of being immobile for months just makes me cringe. In addition, my podiatrist advised that bunions can resurface though rare. I don't know what to think - is it worth all these trouble?

To help me make a decision whether to go under the knife or not, I like to hear your experiences, especially from those who had bunionectomy done a few year back. I want to know, assuming the surgery goes well, will one be able to run and play hard sports without having to worry about the foot and chance of reoccurence?

Last edited by skyblu; 02-05-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
tammyj204
(female)

tammyj204 HB User
Re: To go under the knife or not?

I would say "go for it". My first surgery was a great success. I wouldn't say I was in terrible pain before (only because I didn't know any better). What changed my mind was watching my mother walk with arthritis in both her feet that developed (IMO) from having bunions all her life and "living with the pain and wearing alternate shoes"

Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
wakkochic17
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I've had all four done (two bunionettes, two bunions). I had them done as needed. First was the right bunionette, second was the left bunionette (94 and 96). My bunions didn't significantly form until recent years. I just had the fourth surgery 3 weeks ago. I recommend if there is any discomfort to do it now versus later, the worse the bunion the more they do to correct it. The bunionette surgery was a faster recover (helps that the bone is smaller and you don't put as much pressure on that part of the foot.)

Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
skyblu
(female)

skyblu HB User

Thank you for your feedback, ladies. Could you please share with me how long ago you had your first surgery and how has it healed? No major strain when walking? And did you notice if the bumps are coming back?

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
wakkochic17
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

where I had my bunionettes done, I have no discomfort at all and they have not come back in any form (almost 15 years ago since the first surgery, 13 since the second).
The bunion surgery on my left foot that was done in 2005 was more difficult. For some reason I had a lot of scar tissue buildup and my toe is only recently settling in to a good spot. Doctor can't figure out why. I don't think the doctor straightened the joint enough. However it has not changed position since the surgery so there is no sign at the moment of it coming back. Right one is too soon to tell, but I already have better movement in my toe.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
skyblu
(female)

skyblu HB User

Thank you for your response - it's encouraging news.

I was advised by my pod that technology has changed since a decade ago (when your 1st and 2nd surgery were done). With my surgery, they will saw the protuding bone, align the bone, insert a pin which does not need to be removed (only to help with the healing) and fingers crossed, if no complication develops, it'll be happy feet days. Can you kindly share with me if the procedure of your successful sugery was any different from your reent ones? (Sorry for all the seems endless questions) Thank you.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
wakkochic17
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

My bunionette surgerys were similar to what your pod told you about, but I had removeable pins that came out at 3 weeks. I was completely non-weightbearing until they came out. My left foot bunionectomy was done with a similar procedure, but he used two screws to hold the bones together versus pins. I was able to do partial weightbearing afterwards. My recent surgery was the same as the left foot, but with one screw and I went with a different pod since I had trouble with the left foot. I would have loved to have had the same pod for all four surgeries but I moved to a different part of the country between the first two surgeries and the last two. I really don't know what happened with the left foot to cause problems.

Closed Thread