It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Wanna run instead of walk!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
    jazzygyrl
    (female)

jazzygyrl HB User
    Post Wanna run instead of walk!!!

So I have been in my aircast for 2 months. I went to see my dr. this past Wed. to see if I could get the ok to go from non wb to wb. Once he examined my foot and looked at the x-rays he said the magic words, "I think you are ready to walk on it." I was so excited but shortly I realized he wasn't done with his sentence when he followed with, "I want you to walk on it in the aircast for another month, 1st week with the crutches and then w/o the cructches for the remaining time."

Well needless to say I was very upset to learn that I would be stuck with this stupid boot for another month!!!! Now don't get me wrong I am happy that I am able to bear weight after being so immobile for the past 8 weeks but I am tired of looking at this boot. Lol. So I have been walking around w/ my boot & crutches, and would you believe it I am having a world of pain and at times it seems like I don't remember how to walk. Walking up and down the steps are the worst. Then I give myself a pep talk and try to walk with normal gait and normally and end up trippin or something. I guesss I am trying to do too much at once. I tried to walk around the kitchen today (Sat) w/o my crutches and damn near trip over the glass table from the pain being so unbearable.

Again, I was putting the cart before the horse. I wanna take off runnin and be free but I guess I need to follow the doc's orders and take it easy esp. since this pain is no joke. Any suggestions on how to transistion from non wb to wb or from using the crutches to not using them while in the boot. Sorry I just really needed to vent and complain to someone. Thanx 4 listening and any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
    hurts2walk
    (female)

hurts2walk HB User
    Re: Wanna run instead of walk!!!

Hang in there.....not sure what surgery you had? I had tendon transfer and osteotomy and did not walk without crutches until 10 weeks! It was so hard to take those first steps so take your time. I felt like I was going to damage all the work done but not so! Even IF you had not had surgery, remember that you have not used that foot for 2 months! Can you take the aircast off and do range of motion etc?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
    ETANA
    (female)

ETANA HB User

I am 8 weeks post op PTTD and have been weight bearing for 1 week now. My foot HURTS; I don' t want to whine, but the bottom arch hurts and I am afraid the surgery was not successful (tendon transfer and calcaneal slide). I mean that was the whole point of the surgery for my arch not to hurt. Will it get stronger/better/stop hurting? I expected the pain to be elsewhere, I don't know where, but I'm so afraid the arch will still be too achy to walk for distances.

thanks for your experiences,
    Etana

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
    limpingone
    (female)

limpingone HB User

I'll chime in on this one. After 4 weeks of nwb from a bunionectomy and second metatarsal osteotomy, my doctor pulled the wire out of my toe on Friday and said that I can walk on the heel with crutches. I was so excited, until I tried it. When I put the slightest weight on the heel it hurts, pins and needles through the whole foot. I don't know whether to keep pushing it or back off--I will call him tomorrow. Also, it seems that the wire was holding the whole foot together--it hurts more without it, especially the toe. My foot throbs now from being down much more than it did before the wire came out. The toes has begun curving toward the outside since the wire came out and that worries me too.

I would sure like to hear experiences from those of you are further down the road.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
    jazzygyrl
    (female)

jazzygyrl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hurts2walk View Post
    Hang in there.....not sure what surgery you had? I had tendon transfer and osteotomy and did not walk without crutches until 10 weeks! It was so hard to take those first steps so take your time. I felt like I was going to damage all the work done but not so! Even IF you had not had surgery, remember that you have not used that foot for 2 months! Can you take the aircast off and do range of motion etc?
    I had a lot done, I had a calcaneal osteotomy, tendon transfer, bunionectomy,tendon lengthing, and tendon plication. Yes, I am able to take my boot off and do some range of motion exercises. I have been doing the flexion and extension, and trying to curl and wiggle my toes which are hard enough lol. Do you have any suggestions for any other good exercises? Yes, I keep telling myself it will take time but I feel so foolish that I can't walk correctly. (Even though I know its been two months since I've usd it.) Hope all is goin well for every1 else. Keep those stories and experiences coming.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
    riteaider
    (male)

riteaider HB User

I had bunion surgery on right big toe 11-6. It is now 3-28-09. Ortho said foot would be normal in 4 months. He also removed Nueroma from toe next to big toe. I can't bend this toe and still have stiffness in big toe. I can walk but not without some discomfort and can't run. Also had pain in left knee which is going away since I am walking one mile daily. Has anyone had stiffness in big toe and has it gone away and how long before foot is normal?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
    smile2006
    (female)

smile2006 HB User

I had PTTD surgery and I am a runner. Running will come but it is not easy to get back to it. Take it slow. After you get out of the boot your ROM and ankle flexibility will likely be minimal. It takes a lot to get the foot flexibility back and strength back in your calfs and legs in general. It might be because I'm 44 but I was suprised how weak my legs were in general after this surgery. Initially, when I started running again my gait wasn't normal due to foot/ankly flexibility, weakness in the legs and some numbness I still had in my foot. This caused my hip flexor in my opposite leg to really tighten up. I madly started alot of flexibility exercises and this helped tremendously with the hip pain. I'm almost 7 months out now (I begain running just short of three months out). I'm feeling almost back to normal but it has taken a lot longer than I thought. I'd also recommend weight lifting focusing on the leg and calf srength as you are able. This has really helped me regain strength (also jumping rope on the surgery foot). I thought my doc would say run and off i would go.......but it has taken alot to really get back. Be patient and listen to your body when you do begin.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
    let me walk
    (female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User

Hi Smile2006,
    I'm 44 too (will be 45 in April) and just had a diagnostic ankle scope (I have a long thread under subtalar joint injury). I, too, (was) a big time runner...but I'm changing my tune due to some patella issues and this recent set-back with my ankle. ANYWAY...the MRI never showed a PTT tear...but after my diagnostic scope my OS (who was suspicious of something being wrong with my PTT) found a small tear in the middle of the tendon close to the medial ankle bone. He also found several other things...but I'm really more concerned with the PTT. I have my post-op follow-up on April. My OS didn't feel he could make that small tear any better for me so he left it alone. I'll know more as to WHY he said that on April 3. I'm curious to know if you tried conservative treatment before your surgery?
    What kind of symptoms were you having before you got diagnosed? I can totally relate to your leg weakness....I've been literally unable to walk for the past 4-months...started in the BIG BOOT...then crutches with the boot...then NWB...then a 3 week of stint of walking (like a 90 year old for only 8 minutes a shot)...to my surgery...to crutches again. I just had really intense pain in my medial ankle. ANYWAY...it sounds like you had a lot of success with your surgery! It's pretty remarkable that you were able to run 3 months out from your surgery!

Thanks for any input!
    Let Me Walk

Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
    aed2113
    (female)

aed2113 HB User

I haven't ran in one year and nine months; I used to be a four season athlete...trust me I know how you are feeling. Sometimes it's hard when things are going so slow and you just want to jump up and run but your body will barley let you stand up. I think the only thing that has gotten me this far is treasuring the little things and trying to do things to take the place of running. For example I'm now 12 weeks post op on my latest surgery and even though I'm still in the boot most of the time I started to be able to swim and ride a stationary bike for a little bit every day. It's not the same but it lets you move. For me being in the pool is great because A. it is strengthening my leg, and B I can move with a little bit of speed and feel like I am finally doing something. YOU CAN MAKE IT!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
    smile2006
    (female)

smile2006 HB User

My PT tear was actually not from running but from a fall down a flight of freshly sealed wood stairs. I had socks on and slipped. I fell all the way down the steps jamming my foot into the wall of the landing below. At first I rested it and it started to feel better. I began running eventually and it was still bothering me so I cut back running and did more cyling. However, it just didn't feel right and was quite warm and inflamed through the arch and medial side of the ankle. In the morning the arch area was so tight I would limp around until it warmed up. I could make it through activity but afterward it just ached and if I sat for while it tightened up. I fell in February but finally saw an OS in July. I had an MRI (showed quite a large longitudinal split type tear) and was into surgery within a month (had tendon transfer, debridment and oesteotomy). I'm sorry I waited so long to get it taken care of. I just kept thinking the problem would go away but finally realized it was really geting worse. I did go up a half size in my running shoes which is typical with this surgery.

Last edited by smile2006; 03-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
    alabamajack
    (female)

alabamajack HB User

I had surgery a couple of months ago on my peroneal tendon, and I'm used to running daily. I read where you started back running after 3 months...did your Dr. give you a schedule for running or did you just ease into it on your own? Any info you can give me would be great as I'm getting a little impatient. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
    riteaider
    (male)

riteaider HB User

Doctor said 4 months. It's now 5 and still not running. Toe is stiff. Going to call and make an appt.

Closed Thread