It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Anyone have the hardware removed after lapidus surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
    edg
    (female)

edg HB User
    Anyone have the hardware removed after lapidus surgery?

I had a lapidus surgery on Oct. 7, 2008, 4 1/2 months ago. The doctor used 3 short screws and a very long screw to attach the plate which fused the joint on the top of my foot. Now that the swelling has gone down, the long screw is protruding out the side of my foot quite a bit and I cannot wear any shoes that put pressure on that spot. That means until summer, I only have one pair of shoes I can wear.

I am also still experiencing a lot of pain deep inside my foot, my arch and my ankle. I cannot walk without limping. My doctor told me that about 5% of his patients will never be without pain until that hardware is removed. I am scheduled to have minor surgery in one week to have that hardware removed, but now find out that I will have to be sedated and I will have about a 2 inch incision afterwards. It sounds like a bigger deal than I thought.

I should be able to walk on it right after surgery, but was told it would be painful for a few days. I am having second thoughts about going through with this because it has been such a long recovery already. I am also worried it won't be helpful and maybe even that the fusion and straightening will deteriorate and revert back to the way it was before surgery.

Does anyone have experience with the removal of hardware after surgery? Were you glad you did it and did it make a difference in lessening the pain afterwards? The doctor suggested that it is possible that a tendon is getting caught on the hardware and is causing me pain when I walk. Does that sound like anything anyone else has experienced?

Please offer your suggestions and share your experience. Thanks
    edg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
    turtlepower
    (male)

turtlepower HB User
    Re: Anyone have the hardware removed after lapidus surgery?

Hi,
    I had lapidus surgery back in 2003 and after 6 months the titanium screws were causing pain. I had then had the screws removed. The procedure was very short but they did use anesthesia. There wasn't much pain involved other than where the 2 small incisions were. I had it done on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday and have had no problems with that foot since. The best of luck with you.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
    edg
    (female)

edg HB User

Thanks for your response. So I take it that you were glad you had them removed, correct? Did the screws start to bother immediately or was that something that developed over a period of time? I am frustrated that I still have so much pain in this foot after so long.

I am also concerned that the foot will revert back to the pre-surgery state. Is that possible?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
    turtlepower
    (male)

turtlepower HB User

Yes, I am glad I had the screws removed. After most of the pain from the lapidus surgery had gone away I still had a deep pain in the bone where the screws were in. Once they were removed, the pain went away within a month or two. As far as the foot reverting back, my dr told me that there was a slight chance of that happening and if it did happen, it would do so whether the screws were in there or not. So, I guess I would go through it if I were you. Be of good cheer, it will get better, it just takes a little time.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
    edg
    (female)

edg HB User

The pain you describe "deep pain in the bone" is very similar to what I am feeling as well as the pain on the outside where the screw protrudes quite noticably. That gives me hope that by removing the hardware the pain will eventually go away.

It is also good for me to know that it still bothered you for a month or two afterwards. I might have gotten concerned and impatient if you hadn't shared that. Thanks so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate it because I have been so stressed out over whether to go ahead with it or not. Your response gives me hope. My surgery date is February 17th. Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by edg; 02-12-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
    edg
    (female)

edg HB User

Turtlepower....just wanted to let you know that I had the hardware removed on Tuesday and I cannot believe how much better that foot feels. Other than the incision, the pain in the rest of my foot is totally gone. I am so glad I went ahead with it. It seems my foot did not like having all that hardware in there and was really fighting it. Thanks for your encouragement. Glad it is over...it was an answer to prayer. edg

Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
    turtlepower
    (male)

turtlepower HB User

edg,
    I'm glad everything turned out good for you. Take care.
    turtlepower

Closed Thread