It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

OATS / Talus OCD Recovery - 2

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
kimber687
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB User
OATS / Talus OCD Recovery - 2

New thread for us ...

Abby - I am an advocate of a brace too, in fact my OS told me that for ANY activity I will need to wear one from now on so my ankle won't roll like it used to. I have an EXO brace that laces up like ice skates .. gives enough support so my ankle won't roll and isn't too bulky.

Kris - good news on the karate! Sorry to hear about your son though ... I hope he is back to himself in no time!

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
anklehelp
(female)

anklehelp HB User
Re: OATS / Talus OCD Recovery - 2

Just wanted to let everyone know I scheduled my surgery. It will be March 16th! It's a lot sooner than what I was expecting, but I just want to get it over with and don't want my situation to worsen. I am off of school for a week (spring break) during that time. I can't miss a lot of school, so I'm hoping to be back within a week. Does that seem reasonable? Bad thing is class is from 8-5 everyday! Any tips?

Liz

Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
akirka
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

Kris - sorry to hear about your son! What do you think caused the nosebleed? I hope the medical costs won't be too much since you're already hitting hard times. I'll say a pray for him! Glad your balance is getting better. The mobility difference between 4 to 6 months for me was huge but I was still very protective of my foot.

Dawn - I felt the same way last year about my foot. I went dowhill skiing about 5 times before the surgery and I was thinking, what else can I do to mess my foot up - not much really!! That was very free-ing! Now when I ski I'm thinking, be good, don't mess up your surgery! So have fun dancing as much as you can!

Diane - It would be scary if someone told me I 'only' work at home and don't have a real job. I am woman, hear me roar. Your family better shape up and have more compassion for you! Just keeping a household together with feet like yours is a major accomplishment and I think you're awesome! I couldn't really cook for months and Kim's even having problems with that. You need to order your meals from your family delivered to the couch!

Thanks everyone for the brace advice. I'm going to look for the best one in a tennis shoe - the active ankle sounds good Margaret!

Abby

PS: Kitty is doing much better but now I'm starting to make him sick with all the treats he's getting!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
akirka
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

Hey Liz,

Did you finally find an OS that has done many of these surgeries? What does your OS say about the amount of time he wants you to take off? I hate to say it but one week off is not really enough. This is a HUGE surgery and I'm not trying to scare you because it's the best thing for your foot. But it is a giant commitment to recovery. It took me 3 weeks before I felt I could go to work for 8 hours. And afterwards, I went straight home and vegetated. Some people with this surgery have taken months off from work. So going back to full-time school in one week? I think you would suffer terribly from pain and it wouldn't be good for your foot recovery to be so active.

So after being so negative - this is the computer era. I could see you finishing out school from your couch/bed working on things from your computer and internet. And after 3 weeks or so getting back in the classroom. But even then you've got to elevate your foot all the time. Do you have a wheelchair you can rent? That would be the best to get around with. You're going to need a lot of help for the first couple weeks because crutches leave you unable to carry anything! This takes a lot of planning so I guess all of us will help you with the list of things you'll need to do!

Sorry I can't be more encouraging!

Abby

Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
dbast
(female)

dbast HB User

Abby- I totally forgot about the active ankle brace I USED to wear. My first OS had me wear it every day before the drilling in '03. I is very stablizing but will completely stretch out your shoes, so don't put it in your best pair of Nike Shox It will also rub your leg a little so wear socks that you can pull up. Thanks for the okay on the dancing, I kinda feel like no holds barred for now. By the way, glad the kitty is feeling better.

Kris - Sorry about your son. I would definately tell the Drs that I want an answer on the cause of the nosebleed. They usually seem harmless, but not one that goes on for that long.

How can I find out how many OATS my OS has done? Will they just tell you, and if so, do I just believe them?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
K_Lana
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Liz, I agree that one week will be pushing it and this is from someone who after her first surgery went to karate class the next morning and took my mom to her PT appt the next day. At one week I was still needing to keep my foot up all day long.

I did ask my OS flat out how many he had done. He didn't give me a total number, but rather how many in a month or 2. Still not a lot, but enough. He was the only one around here that did them though.

As for the nosebleeds, we know what is causing it. It is a large blood vessel at the surface of his nose with almost nothing covering it so when he rolls his head at night or just barely touch his nose, it will bleed. I've seen it start with no cause at all. He'll just be sitting there talking to you and it starts like a faucet. This is why he has to go in for surgery, to get this blood vessel cautaurized.

Abby, it's good to know between 4 and 6 mos you had much improvement. I am still very protective of my foot. I walked and ran a bit today. My knee didn't hurt, which is weird, it hurts more going up stairs or getting up from sitting, but the ankle hurt. It hurt the same when I ran or walked, so I figure it is probably scar tissue or something, not the pounding that is hurting it.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
anklehelp
(female)

anklehelp HB User

The OS I'm seeing does a lot of OATS procedures, so I finally am a little more at ease about my doctor. I don't have an exact number of how many he does, but it's A LOT compared to everyone else I've seen. It took me a long time to find him. It's definitely not going to be fun traveling to see him. I have to fly. He said I should be clear to fly one week after surgery.

Abby, I haven't asked him yet how soon he anticipates I can return to school. That's my next question for him! I'm so discouraged and bummed out! I wish I had months to stay at home and recover, but I don't. I'm a physical therapy student, so if I miss a lot of school, it'll get to the point where I may fail classes and will have to wait a year before I can retake them. I've talked to my teachers and they are very understanding of my needs, so proping my leg up in class or icing it wouldn't be a problem. But like you say, I'm going to be in PAIN. Good thing is I have a group of friends who are willing to drive me to school, carry my books, and all that. I'm also married so that will be some help. I'm just hoping my husband starts learning how to cook something other than a quesadillas!

Kris - Wow! You are a brave woman to go to karate class the day after a surgery. I'll be praying that your son's surgery and recovery run smoothly, which I'm sure both will.

Thank you ladies for the advice...I'll keep you all posted.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
akirka
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

Liz,

Glad to hear you have a really good Dr. and it sounds like lots of help! Maybe you can get extra credit by letting your classmates experiment on your rehab? They can try new icing and elevation techniques. Are you having OATS from your knee or a donor? Going in the knee makes recovery harder. How about an osteotomy? That makes it more painful for sure. This is good training for you and your classmates because it's really uncommon and an interesting learning experience. All us OATS people are giving ourselves to science ...

Kris - glad the knee feels better. I was doing girl pushups the other day and my kneecap kept popping and driving my crazy! Guess I need to get tough and do regular pushups!

OK - this makes absolutely no sense but Tues. I did aerobics and something about the workout made my ankle stop hurting. Maybe there was some scar tissue that was being rubbed the wrong way and it got jostled back into place. Last night I went to volley ball and wore my brace and I feel pretty good. I'll have to see how it feels later this week. My brace is a really cheap Kmart so I'm still going to order something better.

Abby

Old 02-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
K_Lana
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Abby,
I totally think that it is the case with scar tissue. It hurts the when you break it up, but then the ankle feels better. That is why I'm trying to be active. It hurts at first, but then I have more movement and can do more, etc.

Well, I've got to be short with the reply tonight. My son is doing very poorly and now the IV antibiotics he has received in the office each day havne't been working for the pneumonia. So, most likely they said he'll be admitted to the hospital tomorrow.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
dizzizzi99
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Hi all,
Havn't posted in a while so hope everyone is healing. Chris I hope son has taken turn for the better by now.
Sat was spaghetti dinner. I was on my feet non stop from about 11 am to 8 pm. Yep I am sore. But I think I bounced back OK. That night the right hurt just to have the blanket on it. Then I had a bit of trouble walking on Sun. However once I took some advil it got alot better. It started to bother me about 7 hours into the day. So I'm thinking I will be fine to do a 5 1/2 hour job. The right just feels like a really bad sprain now. On the good we raised almost $7000 for the band. Yippie!
Happy healing to all.
Diane

Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
K_Lana
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey guys. My son was in the hospital with his pneumonia. He is finally starting to get better.

So I missed my PT appt with all this. I have been paying attention to the types of pains and where. My ankle swells in a funny way, it looks like I have a tire around the joint. My foot isn't swollen, my leg isn't swollen. Just like a ring of swelling.
I also noticed a strange popping noise near the base of my little toe, a little higher, like where the peroneals attach.
I'm thinking about calling my dr. for an earlier appt than the one I have a month from now. I'm about 5 mos out and the pain is increasing.

BTW, with all the sickness I've been around, I now have the flu and one of my daughters is now sick. I wish I could get a break here.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
kimber687
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB User

Kris,

Glad to hear your son is getting better! I definitely think 'something' is going around here as well, my hubby is sick and everyone in the office sounds like they are coughing up a lung! Feel better and take it easy .. not only good for your flu but good for the foot too

I know what you mean about the swelling .. mine looks as if I put a donut around my ankle ... my leg looks, well atrophied and sad ... my toes look ok (although pretty good since I just had a pedicure but on the inside of the joint by the incision and the back next to my achilles still gets big.

Now for my not good news .. I went to PT on Thursday, first time in 7 weeks ... he measured my ROM when I first got there ... -4! then worked on me for a little bit .. -1! I can't even get my foot flat AND I am back in the pain I was in 7 weeks ago, pre Celebrex. Needless to say, I am a bit grumpy

So I have summed up what I think my choices are ... either,

A) I don't go to PT at all, stay in minimal pain, no meds, but no ROM;
B) Go to PT, be in a lot of pain, take painkillers when needed at night, and try to get ROM back;
C) Go to PT, go back on Celebrex and go for bloodwork every 4 weeks

None of these are any good!

I do have a question though for you all ... since we now know that something is inflammed in my foot and we've been able to rule out RSD since the Celebrex did work, is there still a chance my OS would refer me to a pain mgt doctor (cuz thats where I'd go if it was RSD) or is this something the OS would continue to manage and perhaps find out what is so inflammed? (I still think this is all from my achilles tendon ... the back of my foot still hurts and I would think any movement would aggravate it, right?)

I need help from my foot friends
Kim

Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
dbast
(female)

dbast HB User

It must be in the air everywhere. I have sent 6 kids home today with fevers and sore throats or fevers and headaches. I've never sent that many home in one day, but the Teachers don't seem to mind...

Kris - Sorry to hear about the little one, but hopefully things are coming around.

Kim - I wish I could offer some advice, but I'm afraid I can't. I would think that the OS should do something to figure out where the inflammation is coming from.

It was a bad weekend for my ankle. I am again wearing the cheap brace I bought and it makes my foot feel like my toes are going to pop off . I keep saying to everyone that I just can't wait until this is all over with, but it sounds like that may never actually be.

Dawn

Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
anklehelp
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Hey Kim,

I was just wondering, what is your ROM in your good ankle? You, know I naturally have -3 degrees of flexion in both my good ankle and bad ankle. I think the normal is "20 degrees" and I have never been and never will be near that! Not built that way. So I guess I can't get my foot flat either, and I haven't had any surgeries yet! Just hoping it makes you feel better.

Liz

Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
kimber687
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz,

Thanks for trying to make me feel better

My good ankle gets to +18 and my bad ankle never really got a fair measurement because who measures a healthy non injured ankle .. but injured before my first surgery was +7 and before my second surgery best I got was +5. I am more upset because just 7 weeks ago I was +4, so the -4 / -1 is a bit discouraging and I know it's because I've been back in the boot for these 7 weeks, but I guess I didn't expect to lose so much.

When all is said and done my OS wants my bad ankle at +15! At this rate, I'll be in PT until I'm 80!

Kim

Closed Thread