It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

having ankle ligameny surgery have ?'s please help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
vanessa20
(female)

vanessa20 HB User
Unhappy having ankle ligameny surgery have ?'s please help

im having surgery on my ankle he is going in and reattaching it from the side and scoping it from the top and hes putting me under thats all he told me and i want to know how long i will be in a cast and on crutches how long i will be out of work and if any one has had this that can just tell me a little bit about it please help thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
triguy450
Veteran
(male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
Cool Re: having ankle ligameny surgery have ?'s please help

Hi Vanessa,

I'm sorry you are going to go thru this. I'll try to give you some information that can help you.

Without more specifics I don't know exactly what he is going to do. I can tell you a friend of mine just had a similar procedure done early November. He tore one of his ligaments. The doc went in, reattached with 2 screws. He was also under for the surgery.

They will most likely do a leg block, where they numb your leg from the knee down. Then put you under for surgery. The procedure for the leg block is not painful, they will give you some giggle juice first. (Liquid vicadin) You won't care what they do to you then. Once the leg is numb and the vicadin kicks in, they take you to OR and do the procedure.

I recommend asking the doc for antiobotics in the IV before and after surgery. If he can give you antiobiotics a week prior and a week after surgery, that will help prevent any infections.

After the procedure, depending on the hospital or doc they may keep you over nite. The leg block lasts about 16 hours, then it wears off and you will feel pain. This will subside with the help of pain meds and lasts 2-5 days depending on the person.

AS for walking again? You will be in a cast for about 6-8 weeks. The surgery itself will heal quickly, but your leg muscles will atrophy alot. Not using them for 8 weeks does that.

The most difficult part of recovery is building the muscles back up and getting Range of Motion back in your foot. This takes a lot longer than one would think.

Barring any problems, you will be crutch free about 12 - 16 weeks post op, some take longer depending on what kind of shape you are in.

I hope this helps some. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. I've been on these boards since July and met many folks. I personally broke my heel and went thru similar issues to get back to walking again.

Ed

Old 03-15-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
Hollywood48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: having ankle ligameny surgery have ?'s please help

I tore 2 ligaments in my ankle and had reconstruction surgery. My OS did a modified Brostrom procedure. I have permanent sutures in my ankle. I was in a hard plaster cast for 2 days and then a fiberglass cast for 2 wks. Then I was in a walking boot for 4-6 wks after that. I was on crutches for a month. I went back to work after 5 wks, but that was my choice and a poor one at that. It took about 3 months for me to feel back to normal. Hope this helps. Seeing as though I'm answering this post a month after you posted it, I assume you've had your surgery? If so, how are you doing?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
MonktonGreen
(female)

MonktonGreen HB User
Re: having ankle ligameny surgery have ?'s please help

I had a Brostrom procedure to repair the ligaments in my ankle on Mar 2, it's now Mar 26 and so far, I'm feeling fine. I was on prescription pain medicine for 4 days and then switched to over the counter drugs afterward. I felt no pain, but granted, I was asleep half the time! I was in a plaster-type cast for 10 days post-op, completely non-weight bearing. After 10 days I went to a fixed walking boot and told to be 100% weight bearing as pain allowed. After 2 days I was motoring around just fine. Sleeping in the boot, however, isn't delightful, but I put a pillowcase over it so I don't bring the outdoors in bed with me!

My doc gave me some resistance exercises to do so my leg won't completely atrophy and get puny. I was told the most important thing to be mindful of was not letting my toes point down more than 30 degrees. I can take the boot off while I am sitting at a desk or watching television, but not to risk walking for fear of rolling or pointing it. I go back in 2 weeks for a checkup and possibly switching to a cloth brace. We'll see!

Good luck on your recovery!

Closed Thread